April 21, 2016
NAB 2016

Kinefinity's New 5k & 6k TERRA Cameras Are Extremely Lightweight and Shoot up to 225fps in 2k

Kinefinity brings out the new TERRA cameras to followup on the KineMax and KineMini 4K.

Bringing a ton of cinema ready features to a competitive price point has always been Kinefinity's modus operandi, and the new TERRA line of cameras falls right in line with this philosophy. With a bevy of options of framerates and resolutions, global and rolling shutter, native ISO of 800, standard 2.5" SSD media (to .krw or ProRes), multiple power options and attractive pricing, the TERRA cameras seem poised to make a splash on the market. The lightweight nature of the TERRA brain lends itself well to remote usage including drone and gimbal mounting.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor:

I think I like it.

April 21, 2016 at 3:47PM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator/Owner

I think It will be my first cine camera

April 21, 2016 at 4:21PM, Edited April 21, 4:21PM

Daniel Mendes
DoP, Reviewer for a video/photo blog

I'm thinking the same thing. I'm still at least a few months out from pulling the trigger on something, and for the last year or so I've assumed I would eventually get the Ursa Mini 4.6K. Assuming this camera lives up to what it's claiming, though, I think my mind has been changed. I'm very, VERY interested in the 5K version of this camera.

April 21, 2016 at 8:42PM

David West
Filmmaker

Exactly the same situation. There are Ursa mini 4k or 4,6k, the RED Raven or FS5...but now the Terra 5K (global shutter is great) and I live in Switzerland, so I have a dealer in Germany

April 22, 2016 at 1:52AM

Daniel Mendes
DoP, Reviewer for a video/photo blog

6K for $6,000!! And that form factor looks perfect - this is by far the most interesting story out of NAB for me. Unfortunately, not a single US dealer or rental house I can find offers Kinefinity products (an issue that's been going on for years).

April 21, 2016 at 5:27PM, Edited April 21, 5:27PM

Rich Brown
Director, Producer

This will change, over time.. Hopefully rather sooner than later!

August 4, 2016 at 4:26PM

Jaap Ruurd Feitsma
DP • Director • VR creative

This camera seems to be a RED and Blackmagic Design killer
if there are no issues with the sensors.

And I don't care if the brand is unknown in the studios.
I didn't need a RED or an ARRI if a had camera
that produced equivalent motion picture and a similar workflow.

The size is incredible compact and the price for each version is very pleasent.
Also, they use SSDs.

I am close to pull my trigger on that camera.

April 22, 2016 at 8:47AM, Edited April 22, 9:05AM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator/Owner

The frustrating part is Kinefinity needs to partner up with a North American distributor fast. They have such poor exposure outside China.

April 22, 2016 at 12:59PM

John Mark
DP

Agreed! This could be a nice game changer if the sensor can hold up. Get this company in the states plz!

April 22, 2016 at 4:14PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

At around 7 minutes in, the CEO of Kinefinity says they're hoping to get a US distributor in the next few months, of course there's no guarantee on that: https://youtu.be/AMWeRIOBoIM

April 22, 2016 at 10:16PM

Rich Brown
Director, Producer

It would be great, wouldn't it? Especially when the KineRAW files can be used more easily in Post-Production software as well, like R3D, et cetera.

The 5K version has both a rolling and global shutter option!

August 4, 2016 at 1:15PM, Edited August 4, 1:15PM

Jaap Ruurd Feitsma
DP • Director • VR creative

This was a hit at the show. Now if only they can line up that US distributor.

April 26, 2016 at 7:26PM

I am truly considering this camera. The KineRAW files aren't exactly a standard yet, but hopefully this will happen rather sooner than later, so that Post-Production workflows will save time as well.

Another very interesting thing to me is that the Terra 5K version has a Dual Shutter mode, meaning it has both a Rolling and Global Shutter! The Dynamic Range is 15 f-stops for the rolling shutter and 13 f-stops for the global shutter, which is perfectly fine to me. And let's face it: 13 f-stops is film :)

August 4, 2016 at 1:22PM