April 19, 2016
NAB 2016

Adobe Talks a Slew of New Creative Cloud Updates at NAB 2016

New features coming to Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Media Encoder, Adobe Audition and Adobe After Effects.

Premiere users will be delighted to learn about additions to last year's popular Lumetri Color Panel and Scopes features, support for more native formats (including 6K and 8K files), and even VR workflows. No Film School interviews Steve Forde, Group Project Manager at Adobe about everything new that's coming to Creative Cloud.

• A proxy workflow for ingesting large native files: Transcode and ingest at the same time, you’ll now be able to generate proxies on ingest, automatically associating them with the native full-resolution media.
  • Lumetri Scopes: Now you can do secondaries employing an HSL model, similar to Lightroom.
  • Audition: New compression and noise gate models with a drop down feature called the Essential Sound Panel.
  • You can now send your files directly from Audition to After Effects.
  • After Effects: New GPU effects.
  • Adobe Character Animator is now in it's fourth preview stage, it comes free with After Effects.

The latest Creative Cloud Suite should be ready for download in mid June.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2016 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel, Shutterstock, and Blackmagic Design.

More of No Film School's coverage from the NAB showroom floor:

Glad to see them implementing a proxy workflow. It's been a godsend with FCP X the last 3-5 years when working with 5k and 6k Red files on the go. MacBook Pros have power but not enough to edit those native resolutions stutter free quite yet. If the proxy workflow is clean enough (doesn't look like it) might start editing more personal projects in premiere again.

April 19, 2016 at 12:31PM, Edited April 19, 12:32PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

Hey Charles, what do you mean by "If the proxy workflow is clean enough (doesn't look like it)"?

April 19, 2016 at 12:46PM

Well clean might not be the best descriptive word. But (not trying to make this a FCP X vs PPro debate) what I got from the process from Adobes video they made about it is that you need to dig into the settings just to let the software know you want to make proxies and then you have to go into menus opening other Windows again to tell it to switch to proxies. Where as FCP X you click on a check box during import to tell the software to make proxies and then it's just two clicks in the viewer window (so no opening another window to get into a menu) a bit "cleaner". Not a make or break just something I noticed. Like I said glad they're finally implementing a proxy workflow in the first place.

April 19, 2016 at 12:57PM, Edited April 19, 1:02PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

Nihilism alert:- they can stick it, along with their subscription model.

April 19, 2016 at 1:15PM

Saied M.

Is this still a thing people are harping on about? Subscription has worked out wonderfully for myself, and all of the pro editors I know.

April 19, 2016 at 4:11PM

Joshua Bowen
Editor

Thanks for your comment and it's a fair point - I respect that you are a pro editor, which I am not. It's up to Adobe what their business model is, but I do find it sad that they have decided that myself and a lot of other people who are willing to pay them four figures will never be a part of their vision.

We resent subscription for a variety of reasons, but I do realise we can always pick up an older CS6 or just look elsewhere. I was just making a point that not everyone will be excited by their updates. Best.

April 19, 2016 at 4:52PM, Edited April 19, 4:54PM

Saied M.

Yeah I'm still harping on about it! They overcharged me last month and refuse to give a refund saying I should take it up with my bank because they have no idea what happened??? Well I have decided to cancel my subscription and will refuse to pay for their product again. It's crazy especially seeing I have been a subscriber of the complete suite for three years now, for someone that's paid well over $2K for their products they sure know how to give terrible customer service. I'm going back to Final Cut with my tail between my legs, for $299 it's a far better investment.

April 19, 2016 at 5:40PM

matt

Once you really learn it you may never miss Premiere again. Replace photoshop and illustrator with Affinity photo and design and you'll have almost everything you need. Still looking for a legitimate After Effects replacement though Motion 5 is an amazing application for $50 but still lacking in some area AE excels in.

April 19, 2016 at 6:53PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

I get what you're saying but the firm I work for has definitely made more money off of the FCP X model $300 ONCE and we installed it on 6 machines for that price so about $50 an editor. Versus $70 a month per computer (so $420 a month total) on a team license. We still use premiere but I honestly think the only reason we have our Adobe CC license anymore is because of After Effects. I'm pushing for replacing photoshop and illustrator with Affinity Photo and Affinity Design $50 each but only ONCE and you own it. Just saying even some pro editors are done with the subscription game.

April 19, 2016 at 6:47PM, Edited April 19, 6:50PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

I'm with you. After wheedling us all into buying premium CS 5.5 and CS 6 suites, along with the rights to discount upgrades within three versions, Adobe sucker punched (took us all for suckers) and rolled out subscription. Adobe has seen the last of my company's money. Subscription software is not something we will ever support (we happily pay for upgrades for non-expiring software when we feel that the upgrade adds something to our own use - we're not keen on OS compatibility upgrades scams either).

Anything but Adobe. Adobe have joined Microsoft as a banned software house at Foliovision. It's easy to get along without either these days. For photos, Iridient Digital offers curves and direct access to RAW data. FCP7 and FCPX are a nice pair for long form and for editor level fx sequences with Motion standing in the wings for more complicated FX (we don't do them).

April 19, 2016 at 6:41PM

Alec Kinnear
Creative Director

And affinity photo/design fit in perfectly as Photoshop and Illustrator replacements. I'm with you other than my work Computer which has both the Adobe Suite and FCP X my personal computer is almost Adobe free other than After Effects (which i'm a novice at anyway).

April 19, 2016 at 6:56PM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

Creative Cloud has been successfully giving you everything you need to turn your brightest ideas into your best work across your desktop and mobile devices, and share it with the world. Today Adobe released a major update to its Creative Cloud (CC) services to indulge to in complete creativity.
This update shares new features in Adobe's Bundle like photo editor applications, performance enhancements, and exciting updates to Adobe Services – as well as a deeper integration within CC and a new collection of high quality content.

Check out the updates at http://www.blog.skdesignz.com/2016/06/adobe-announces-powerful-and-major...

June 22, 2016 at 8:32AM