In this episode of Indie Film Weekly, 8K display is on the rise while GoPro’s dominance may be going the opposite way.
Co-hosts Jon Fusco, and yours truly, Liz Nord discuss a Japanese company that has begun broadcast tests with 8K footage, and a Chinese one that is looking to assume the GoPro throne with a new action camera. We also get into Vice’s upcoming nightly news show, Academy-Award-winning screenwriter Mark Boal’s First Amendment battles, and what Netflix and Amazon's increased spending on programming means for indie filmmakers. As always, the show also brings news you can use about gear, upcoming grant and festival deadlines, this week’s indie film releases, our Ask No Film School segment, and other notable things you might have missed while you were busy making films.
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- 'Stranger Things' Shows How (and Why) Your Film Can Harness the Power of Nostalgia
- You vs. the MPAA: 6 Ways to Avoid an NC-17 Rating
- Every Filmmaking Form You'll Ever Need in 99 Free Templates
- Why NYC is Better than LA and 9 Pieces of Screenwriting Advice from Aaron Sorkin's AMA
- Death By Williamsburg: Director of 'Goodnight, Brooklyn' on the DIY Life and How to Not Be Like VICE
- 5 Directors, 1 Film: 'collective: unconscious' Makes History at SXSW [PODCAST]
- Running a Kickstarter Campaign? Here's What You Should Think About Before — and After [PODCAST]
- First Look at Stunning Footage Shot on RED's WEAPON with HELIUM 8K S35 Sensor
- The Yi 4K Action Camera Aims to Assume the GoPro Throne
- Introducing the World's Fastest 12mm Lens, the Ultra Wide Laowa 12mm f/2.8
- Meet the Fastest 105mm Lens in the World, the Nikon AF-S 105mm f/1.4E
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
- The Audience Awards - Reel Pitch Challenge - August 8th
- The Redford Center Grants - August 10
- TFI/ESPN Future Filmmaker Prize - August 16
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- Zero Film Festival - August 9
- Anchorage International Film Festival - August 12
Please subscribe and rate us on iTunes, Soundcloud, or the podcasting app of your choice. You can play all of our Indie Film Weekly episodes right here:
Check-Out: Pro Video, Pro Audio, Lighting – Great Deals on Gear you made need !!
With any & every B&H purchase You will automatically be entered into the Monthly Gift Card Raffle.
Thank you guys! I don't want to sound cheesy, but that was actually just the little bit of encouragement I really needed today! I'm going to follow your suggestions(and those replies to my original message). Between the boards here and your podcasts I am constantly learning and feeling encouraged!
August 4, 2016 at 3:27PM, Edited August 4, 3:28PM
John, that's so awesome! You made my day. Good luck out there, and let us know when you decide to move to NY. ;)
August 4, 2016 at 3:45PM
The color science within the GoPro cinema is exceptional for such a small camera. I doubt that anyone will replicate what has been done here within this space. David and Jake, formally of Cineform have a codec that can be used within the GoPro that simply sets it way above all other action cameras if you choose to use it.
August 4, 2016 at 7:10PM
Hey NFS—are you listed in Google Play podcasts? I'd love to subscribe, if so, but I can't find you there.
August 8, 2016 at 2:14PM