Instead of offering two models, EF and PL mount, the new Pro has a switchable lens mount that allows the end user to change between EF, PL, and B4. While B4 lenses only allow for shooting in windowed HD mode, beautiful B4 broadcast lenses are available for very good prices, and if you are doing HD broadcast work this is an exciting and cost-effective option for building a package. Blackmagic even includes a standard broadcast style lens motor control, which allows B4 lenses to be plugged into the camera body for smooth control of zoom, iris, and focus.
The URSA Mini is now one of the most flexible camera platforms around.
Blackmagic URSA Mini ProCredit: BlackmagicThe PL mount also offers /i lens data support for capturing settings from the lens, which can feed directly into Resolve for lens corrections and can travel with the footage into post for effects work. The fact that it is user swappable is the most impressive part of this upgrade, making the URSA Mini one of the most flexible camera platforms around. All you need is a torque driver to ensure you limit your power to .45 newton meters and you can change the mount in any suitably clean environment.
The Pro primarily focuses on ergonomic refinements to make it a more enjoyable camera to keep on your shoulder all day long.
The Nikon mount, shipping this summer, deserves a special mention since it demonstrates the thought Blackmagic put into this design process. Since Nikon glass typically doesn't have an aperture ring, Blackmagic built a smooth control ring into the body of the mount to enable the use of Nikon lenses.
Blackmagic Nikon MountCredit: Blackmagic
Built around the same third-generation sensor technology and 15-stop latitude sensor of the URSA Mini, the Pro primarily focuses on ergonomic refinements to make it a more enjoyable camera to keep on your shoulder all day long.
It now offers both dual SD and dual CFast card slots, allowing shooting to either format, though SD is limited to certain resolutions. For filmmakers who miss the ability to shoot straight to SSDs, there is even an adapter for mounting external SSDs to the camera directly.
There are lots of thoughtful improvements in the interface for the camera, including hard switches and dials and an ND filter knob, changing physical IR ND filters behind the lens for great image control. There's even an HFR button to be able to switch into and out of high frame rate mode quickly, for when the action changes and you suddenly need to shoot slo-mo and don't have the time to dig around for the setting.
Credit: Blackmagic Design
One retro feature is the new B&W LCD mounted on the side of the camera. After talking with users, Blackmagic discovered that many missed B&W LCDs, since they were easier to read in bright sunlight and could be backlight at night. Thus, the company included one on the side of the camera to make viewing settings, levels, and timecode easy while you work.
The camera also allows for full control over SDI, for use in studio environments and with the Blackmagic Arduino.
Pricing comes in at $5,995, which is more than the previous URSA Mini, but seems appropriate considering the upgrades, options, and especially the swappable lens mount.
Blackmagic is also generously offering an upgrade to owners of the full-sized URSA for $3,495, allowing existing users to keep their original URSA and get the new camera at a heavy discount.
All products except the Nikon mount are shipping now from your favorite Blackmagic vendor.
View the entire press conference, announced today, below:
- 15 stops of dynamic range.
- Super 35mm 4.6K sensor
- Interchangeable lens mount
- EF mount included
- Optional PL and B4 lens mounts. Nikon mount this summer.
- High quality 2, 4 and 6 stop neutral density (ND) filters with IR cut
- Built in dual C-Fast 2.0 recorders and dual SD/UHS-II card recorders
- Magnesium alloy body.
- B&W backlit LCD status display for quickly checking timecode, shutter and lens settings, battery, recording status, and audio levels.
- CinemaDNG 4.6K RAW, ProRes 4444 XQ, ProRes 4444, ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy recording at Ultra HD and HD resolutions.
- 60 fps 4.6K resolution capture in RAW.
- Dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power
- 12G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay
- XLR 4 pin power output for viewfinder power
- Headphone jack
- LANC remote control
- Standard 4 pin 12V DC power connection.
- Built in high-quality stereo microphones
- 4 inch4-inchut touchscreen for on-set monitoring and menu settings.
- Includes full copy of DaVinci Resolve software color grading and editing software with Dongle.
- Viewfinder connects with industry standard SDI and power connectors, not proprietary.