Best Tripods for Your Budget & The Academy's Surprise President [PODCAST]
This episode of Indie Film Weekly reveals our favorite sub-$1200 tripod, and some strangely familiar developments at The Academy.
Jon Fusco, Emily Buder, and yours truly, Liz Nord discuss two new and very different industry studies: one about the use of swear words in movies, and the other about the future of the documentary film industry. We also talk about the new President of the Academy of Motion Pictures, updates from the Locarno, TIFF and NYFF festivals, and Netflix’s first acquisition of another company.
Charles Haine joins us for gear news, including the Panasonic EVA-1 specs and an embarrassing moment for Apple. Charles also answers an Ask No Film School question about how to assess and buy tripods in a range of budgets.
Also, an appeal: please up-vote Liz's SXSW panel Episodic TV: How Filmmakers Can Ride the Wave here.
As always, the show also brings news you can use about gear, upcoming grant and festival deadlines, this week’s indie film releases, industry words of wisdom, and other notable things you might have missed while you were busy making films.
Listen to the episode by streaming or downloading from the embedded player above, or find on iTunes here.
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- Should Movie Characters Stop Swearing? F*ck No!
- How to Use Documentary as a Call to Action: The Mobilization Tactics of 'Whose Streets?' [PODCAST]
- The Worst Things a Director Can Do on Set [Podcast]
- Watch: How a 2-Minute Short Can Launch Your Career
- Watch: How Not to Adapt a Movie
- Michal Marczak Built a DIY Gimbal Backpack Rig and Practical Lights to Make the Camera Come Alive
- How Werner Herzog-Approved 'The Rider' Director 'Got Creative' Financing Her Exquisite Cannes Premiere
- Panasonic EVA1 Full Specs Announced with Confirmed Dual Native ISO
- Will Zeiss Save Leica, The Oldest Camera Brand in the World?
- RED RAVEN Comes Exclusively to the Apple Store
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
- The Alter-Ciné Foundation - August 15
- Hot Docs: Blue Ice Group Documentary Development and/or Production Fund - August 18
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- Philadelphia Film Festival - August 11
- Indie Memphis Festival - August 12
- Riverrun International Film Festival - August 15
- All Theses Sleepless Nights - August 15