Movcam has announced the development of a digital module for RED DSMCs that packs a ton of functionality into a slick module that looks like it's part of the camera. The unit includes useful features like a receiver for three-axis lens control, a hot-swappable battery plate, phantom powered XLR inputs that are line/mic switchable, and optional wireless transmission capabilities. With this design, your RED just got much easier to operate.
The hot-swappable battery plate is certainly going to make life easier since you will no longer have to power the camera down to change batteries. While the battery is connected, it charges an internal battery that has enough capacity to keep your RED operating for up to two minutes (on a full charge) while you swap your batteries out, which is more than enough time to get the job done.
While it's unknown which FI + Z controllers or wireless video systems the module will be compatible with, integrating software & hardware is very on-trend and will certainly prove to be a welcomed feature.
The full-sized, line/mic switchable XLR inputs with +48V phantom power are great additions for audio recording and there are plenty of video outputs including three SDI outputs, HDMI, genlock & timecode. You can even charge your phone using the USB port.
We don't yet know how much it will cost (guesses on the REDUSER Forum run up to $10K) or when it will ship, but with all these features, it's certainly worth keeping an eye on.
- RED I/O Circuitry
- Hot-Swappable battery plate
- Multiple HD-SDI outputs
- Line/Mic switchable, full-sized XLR inputs with +48V phantom power
- Timecode & Genlock
- HDMI output
- Lemo power: 2x 6-pin (11.5V-17V power in), 1x 5-pin 0B LEMO, 1x 4-pin 00B LEMO
- DC power input
- 3.5mm Headphone jack
- USB – Power only, max.1.5A
- MBUS port – 6-pin 0B LEMO for integrated receiver for lens control system (up to three-axis)
- 160-pin port
- 13-pin pogo pad array
- UPS battery box – three high power 18650, discharge current >15A，providing power and image for up to 120 seconds via UPS
- WiFi – built-in, signal via antenna
- SD card slot for saving and loading up settings
- Optional high-resolution, zero-delay wireless video transmission unit