September 18, 2017
IBC 2017

See For Yourself: Panasonic Debuts First Official EVA1 Footage

Panasonic EVA1
Does this EVA1 footage live up to the hype?

We first heard rumors about Panasonic's new digital video camera leading up to NAB 2017, and when we finally saw the original specs at the Cine Gear Expo, we declared that it might be the ultimate indie cinema camera.

The EVA1 features dual native ISO, 5.7K (5720 x 3016) resolution on a Super 35 CMOS sensor, a 10-bit 4:2:2 internal codec for 4K and full HD and internal data rates up to 400 Mbps all for under $8,000

As part of Panasonic's official launch of films created with the camera, the company has released footage shot by Italian DP Filippo Chiesa, as well as other behind-the-scenes videos for 4K viewing.

DP Filippo Chiesa

The first was shot in Iceland by director of photography Filippo Chiesa, with color grading done by Frédéric Savoir at Amazing Digital Studios.

Behind-the-Scenes

While Chiesa was filming, DP Matteo Mezzadri and his crew followed the real world situation of the shoot.

Near To Superstition

In a BTS video, director/DP Elle Schneider talks about her short Near to Superstition and working with the EVA1's dual native ISO and and 5.7K Super 35mm sensor. The full short is expected to be released soon.

Radio 88

In this BTS video, DP/producer Johnny Derango talks about his short Radio 88 which also utilizes dual native ISO. The full short is expected to be released soon.

Tech Specs:

• 5.7K (5720 x 3016) Super 35 CMOS sensor
  • Dual native ISO
  • 4K 60p, 2K 240p
  • V-log & V-gamma
  • Up to 400 Mbps internal data rates
  • 4:2:2 10 bit internal codec
  • ND filter wheel (2/4/6 stops)
  • EF mount, EIS capable
  • SD card recording
  • XLR Audio
  • Touch panel LCD
  • HDMI & SDI outputs

So what do you think of the footage? Let us know in the comments below.

RIP Canon C-200 (03/31/17 - 09/18/17)

September 18, 2017 at 11:31AM, Edited September 18, 11:31AM

Saskamodie
Filmmaker

I wouldn't be so hasty to put c200 into the grave :-)

September 18, 2017 at 11:46AM

Piotr Numowicz
Director / Cinemaptgrapher

Both the C200 an the EVA will be great tools. I've seen some extremely impressive C200 video shot in RAW. There's no reason to fanboy over one or the other...

September 18, 2017 at 2:16PM

Fahnon Bennett
Director/DP

I currently own FS7 and FS5, the EVA looks very impressive. Dual ISO and the higher data rates are very appealing, the official film looks so good- but then they always do.
Not sure it has enough features to make me part with the Sony's just yet though???

September 18, 2017 at 11:32AM, Edited September 18, 11:32AM

Adam Russell
Creative Director

I also currently own an FS5, and this camera is very appealing. What are some features that are missing that are keeping you from making the switch?

September 19, 2017 at 7:50PM

Looking pretty dang nice i'd say. I would be curious to see how it compares to Ursa Mini Pro footage. DR, colorimetry, etc. Also curious to see the dual iso performance. Has UMP beat in that regard. Like that it has it's own batteries like the Canon c series which makes it smaller and more self contained and run and gun style.

September 18, 2017 at 1:08PM

In terms of dual Iso performance if its anything like Varicam line the duel Iso performance will be stellar. UMP's have such poor ISO signal to noise ratios that I agree with you its no contest.

September 18, 2017 at 1:13PM

Ursa Mini 4.6 footage has an organic quality to it that to me isn't matched at its price point. Almost like an Alexa. It's like the warm sounds from a hifi speaker, eargasm. The EVA1 doesn't have it. I don't if it's color science, codec, bitrate, raw, etc. but it just doesn't have it. I thought it may in the first scenes, but it started to break down in the outdoor scenes.

September 18, 2017 at 4:35PM, Edited September 18, 4:35PM

I totally agree. Recently moving to Sony, I miss the BM quality. It's the only thing close to the Alexa look IMHO. No offense to the filmmaker, but I'm not loving this EVA1 footage.

September 21, 2017 at 9:05AM

Tyler Peck
Editor

Meh. They all look pretty digital and well... videoish. I had much higher hopes for the EVA1 than what I am seeing in these examples. There's something very clinical about this footage. It may be that this camera is better suited for corporate work, and I'll hold my final opinion until I see what people do with it out in the real world, but I'm not feeling it in these narrative examples at all.

September 18, 2017 at 2:16PM, Edited September 18, 2:17PM

Derek Doublin
Director, Cinematographer, Large Scale Artist

> They all look pretty digital

A, the old wives tale that will not die...

September 18, 2017 at 2:46PM

Here are links to the finished films...

"Radio 88" by Johnny Derango

"Near to Superstition" by Elle Schneider

And here is the DP's grade of the first film on Vimeo : https://vimeo.com/231577650

September 18, 2017 at 3:44PM, Edited September 18, 3:48PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

gotcha! it's GH5 footage... lol!

Might as well be anyway... Anything destined for YouTube doesn't need more than what the GH5 has to offer. Do MKBHD reviews look awesome? Yes they do, but unless you're headed to the big screen (and I don't mean aspirations for it) save yourself some money and get a GH5.

September 18, 2017 at 4:30PM, Edited September 18, 4:30PM

Odd comparison considering he uses a Red Helium

September 19, 2017 at 11:33AM

Charles C.
Editor/ Director/ Director of Photography/ Wannabe Thinker

Exactly! Sure it looks good, but not so much better that I'd give up my first born and refi my house to get it. Do you think Moonlight wouldn't have won Best Picture if it was shot on a GH4? They could have shot it on an iPhone. In film, sound is more important than picture quality. Everything else is also important (camera movement, framing, etc.) but the difference in picture quality between an iPhone... No, a handycam from 2001 and a Red Helium is not going to change the content. If Spielberg shot a great film on a iPhone in vertical orientation people would call him a genius. Anyway, my original comment was to say that this EVA1 footage doesn't look any better than GH5 footage to me and if you aren't going to the big screen the GH5 is probably your best choice.

September 21, 2017 at 3:57PM

Wow the official video looks like a pile of garbage compared to the DOP and Directors graded version. The 2500 Iso looks pretty trashy, would like to see a nice HQ version to see if the detail is there in the wides before online compression.

September 18, 2017 at 6:59PM

Sean Loftin
Cinematographer

Some great shots and cool color rendition, but the 2500iso close-up at 1:57 is ridiculously noisy, and not in any flavor of good or manageable. How did that shot make the promo cut? Youtube smooths things out in HD, but if you watch in 4k, it is not a good thing.

September 18, 2017 at 11:26PM

I was even more concerned with the ISO 800 shots in the beginning. There is some ugly, ugly color noise in the darker, fogged-up areas. I guess you have to watch it in 4K to see it on Youtube, but it's not a pretty sight.

September 25, 2017 at 10:30AM, Edited September 25, 10:30AM

Some great shots and cool color rendition. I think this camera is better suited for corporate work.
bullet force http://bulletforcegame.com/

September 19, 2017 at 12:00AM, Edited September 19, 12:00AM

I must be missing something here...

They used 800 ISO in a poorly lit room *and* in bright sunlight?

September 19, 2017 at 1:32AM, Edited September 19, 1:32AM

Clay Smith
Wannabe screenwriter, film editor, director

Barring certain circumstances (usually low-light (higer ISO), or well controlled/lit scenes meant to look like low-light (lower ISO)) you should always use the native ISO of the sensor, for maximum dynamic range and image quality. This is true for almost all modern video cameras and DSLR's. In the case of the EVA1 that is 800 ISO (as it is for the C300, C200, Alexa and some others).

September 19, 2017 at 5:14AM, Edited September 19, 5:14AM

Sorry Einar but this is not always true,and certainly is not true for the Alexa. Noise and how you make best use of the dynamic range changes depending on the ISO you choose for the Alexa. for example - 800 is nosier than 400 and the curve shifts , with more latitude in the blacks at 400 than 800. While it is true you may have the most latitude at 800, understanding how the sensor responds at different ISO's is more important than any native manufacturer's rating. You would not shoot VFX on the Alexa at 800 if at all possible due to the increased noise. You also might not shoot at a higher ISO for a low key situation, since you actually have more latitude in the blacks (less in the highlights) at 400 ISO than you do at a faster ISO. Image quality is also a pretty subjective thing.

September 20, 2017 at 11:26PM

jay
DP

That Organic skin tone that the UMP has... this camera Doesn't have it... Looks very much like the RED colorimetry but not as digital in how it looks. It's a solid camera but I expected a lil more with the overall feel of the final product. This will not put the C200 at bay. You can be sure of that.

September 19, 2017 at 2:16AM, Edited September 19, 2:16AM

Wentworth Kelly
Director/DP/Colorist/Drone Op

Please see also the Director/DOP grading version (my grading) here: https://vimeo.com/231577650

September 19, 2017 at 2:49AM, Edited September 19, 2:49AM

The DP's Grade looks much better than the official Panasonic Release of the first footage. I noticed some patterned color noise in the 800 ISO shots in the mirrored room. This was not present in the same shots on the DP's grade.

I feel like the skin tones look like every other Panasonic camera, and I was hoping for something more natural looking. Don't get me wrong the camera makes some really nice images, but I think there is work left to be done on how to best use it, and get the most out of it.

September 19, 2017 at 11:33AM

Kyle Acker
Cinematographer/ Video Editor

The patterned noise is likely caused by the YouTube or Vimeo recompression. You really need to see native footage on a proper monitor to see exactly what the camera can do.

September 19, 2017 at 4:44PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

It doesn't look like anything a video codec would produce, it looks like typical chroma noise that appears in high-iso shots. Video compression produces blocks or flattens texture, this chroma noise is quite the opposite of that.

September 25, 2017 at 10:36AM

Hey there NFS! Please show one of the three narratives short films shot on the EVA1 by Johnny Derango. It's so damn beautiful. And cool movie. Links: https://vimeo.com/234404784 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnqq9nAM-3E&t=0s
Thanks!!!

September 19, 2017 at 7:44PM

Kim Noonan
Writer/Director

I really need to see a lot more to decide if this camera's worth owning, rather than renting the Varicam LT and other cams. And none of these are in the 400mbit all-Intra mode, right?

September 20, 2017 at 12:50PM

Patrick Ortman
I tell stories. Sometimes for money. Sometimes, not.

Finally, all three demo films are available in Vimeo 4K format...

Filippo's EVA1

Johnny's Radio 88

Elle's Near to Superstition

September 22, 2017 at 1:01PM, Edited September 22, 1:01PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

My friend recommended this blog and he was totally right keep up the fantastic work! Thanks for your page! Your share information it helped me alot!

October 9, 2017 at 5:30AM, Edited October 9, 5:30AM

Great Article! Some great shots and cool color rendition. The DP's Grade looks indeed much better than the official Panasonic Release of the first footage. https://moving-to-amsterdam.nl/internet-providers-netherlands/

November 24, 2017 at 7:32AM, Edited November 24, 7:32AM