October 20, 2017

These 3 Adobe Sneak Peeks Are a Big F*cking Deal for the Future of Post Production

Hold on to your butts.

Last night at Adobe MAX, the company unveiled several sneak peeks at future projects Adobe is currently working to include in its Creative Cloud suite. Three of those sneak peeks will be of particular interest to anyone working in the post-production realm.

Cloak

At the end of its sneak peeks, Adobe unveiled Cloak, which is content-aware-fill for video. Cloak enables removing unwanted things from a video by imagining what would appear if these unwanted things were removed.

One of the most striking features of Cloak is its ability to imagine what the pixels behind an element might look like when they are never actually revealed in any frame of the video, then automatically generate those pixels frame-by-frame to match the rest of the shot. To demonstrate this feature, Adobe used Cloak to remove the strap of a man's backpack sitting across his chest as he walks through a canyon in varied light.

Adobe Cloak
Adobe Cloak in action.Credit: Adobe

SonicScape

For VR editors, syncing up ambisonic audio with the proper focal point in 360° video when viewers turn their heads to look at the world around them can be a challenge. Adobe presented a sneak peek of SonicScape, an audio editing tool that visualizes ambisonics in 360° video using color particles. This visualization will help video editors see where sound is located in context.

In addition to showing sound visually over the video with color particles, SonicScape provides a wireframe overlay to allow editors the ability to easily drag the audio visualization to the exact spot in the visual from which the sound emanates. SonicScape also lets editors add ambient sound FX, adjusting for the distance between the visual and where the viewer is standing.

Adobe SonicScape
Adobe SonicScapeCredit: Adobe

Sidewinder

One of the major limitations of 360° video today is the viewer is essentially locked into exploring the video from the same level as the camera's position. If the viewer tries to step sideways or kneel down, the VR display can't adjust to let the viewer truly explore the world.

With Sidewinder, Adobe uses the depth map associated with 360° video and applies novel view synthesis to enable moving of the head positionally which makes the 3D presence of the scene much greater.

As the demo video shows, Sidewinder certainly adds a 3D effect to 360° video, but the results are still far from perfect with stretched pixels becoming glaringly obvious.

Adobe Sidewinder
Adobe Sidewinder adds 3D depth to 360° video, but still needs some work on perfecting the images.Credit: Adobe

All three of these sneak peeks are still in the works at Adobe, but we imagine we'll see these tools rolled out in its Creative Cloud suite once they are ready in the (hopefully not so distant) future.

To learn more about these three sneak peeks as well as the other eight future features Adobe unveiled at Adobe MAX last night, check out its blog post on the event.

Cloak looks amazing. I can see that effect being used a lot. It does all depend on how much processing power is required though. There are already a couple of plugins in AE that are every bit as impressive but just take for ever to use and are sometimes just impractical.

October 20, 2017 at 4:07PM

John Stockton
Film maker, Editor, Photographer.

I’d be even more impressed if Adobe stopped it’s subscription model. It’s only reason for existence is corporate greed.

October 20, 2017 at 7:04PM, Edited October 20, 7:06PM

Ed Wright
Director, DP, Writer

It's the smartest model for having professional tools available with regular, high quality updates. It works incredibly well. Idk why people are still crying about it. It works better than the single purchase method ever did with Avid.

October 20, 2017 at 10:56PM

Joshua Bowen
Editor

Looks like a lot of Adobe bots are giving upvotes here... Actually never even saw this much votes at all here... ;-)

October 21, 2017 at 8:05PM

I don’t hate Adobe...I’m just arguing against the subscription model...more thoughts below...

October 23, 2017 at 6:45PM, Edited October 23, 7:06PM

Ed Wright
Director, DP, Writer

“Always up to date” is how they sell it. But they had months to get it ready before the GH5 came out and when it did, all Adobe showed was blanks - no images. (For other issues, check out Andrew Reid’s eodhd blog). Their first priority is getting as much of our green as possible, and I don’t want to reward that, or it will never change. Plus, I don’t edit every month, so keeping up a subscription payment when I’m not using it makes no financial sense. I do agree it has some nice features and I’d probably buy it if a disc set were available. But a subscription? No.

October 23, 2017 at 7:01PM

Ed Wright
Director, DP, Writer

I still don't understand why people are so up in arms over the subscription model. If you look at what Photoshop used to cost for instance, $700, verses what the first year's subscription cost of the ENTIRE suite--$360--it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. In fact, it's seems like they're making LESS money than before.

October 23, 2017 at 7:10AM

Part of the incentive for the subscription model is that they are losing less money to pirated versions of their software because it's time consuming to keep those pirated versions up to date. It allows someone who only needs Photoshop for a week to get just one month, instead of torrenting some older version.

October 23, 2017 at 9:05AM, Edited October 23, 9:05AM

Dan Hoene

Initially I didn't like it, but it's actually ended up being just a good for as me I thought it was for them. For one thing it's simpler in accounting, and there are quite a few of updates that get rolled out each year, including many bug fixes etc. But the biggest benefit for me was the "anywhere" software access it gives you. When I had to go out of town a for a family emergency (and still keep some projects going) I ended up needing to buy a new laptop and had no time to install any software. But as soon as I had a minute I could just log on to my Adobe account, temporarily disable a device back home, and pull in all the applications I needed off the cloud. Fonts and other assets all were automatically installed, program preferences as well. Worked like a charm and I was good to go within an hour or so.

October 26, 2017 at 1:43PM

Douglas Bowker
Animation, Video, Motion-Graphics

would it be possible to remove the bridge out of the russian cathedral sequence ?

October 20, 2017 at 8:20PM, Edited October 20, 8:20PM

Frederico Majerus
director/script writer

Cloak. Old effect. Mocha can do this as well.

October 21, 2017 at 1:22PM

JeffreyWalther
Steadicam Operator

Doing a cleanplate removal like this in Mocha is a LOT more difficult and user-intensive than this looks (assuming, of course, it actually works as well as they're suggesting).

October 21, 2017 at 7:08PM

Alex Richardson
Director

Wonderful... Great possibilities...!!
Awesome.

October 22, 2017 at 2:54AM

Sameir Ali
Director of Photography

I really like cloak effect. It looks fantastic.

October 23, 2017 at 3:26AM

Martina Mauer
Werbeexperte

I too

October 23, 2017 at 4:29AM

Adriana Larty
Client Manager in Buyanessay company

Cloak is definitely going to be a game-changer if it works as advertised.

October 26, 2017 at 1:44PM