Shoot 4K 360° Video That You Can Edit on Your iPhone with the $499 Rylo
Say hello to the 360° action camera for the masses.
With the death of the Nokia OZO and the introduction of the Insta360 Pro, the market for 360° cameras is certainly shifting as price points drop from five digits down to four digits. Now, we have a 360° camera that can capture 4K video for only $499. Say hello to Rylo.
Rylo is a small 360° camera with two wide angle lenses that each span 208° (the equivalent of 7mm lens), capturing 4K footage at 30 fps, which can then be edited and shared using the Rylo app on your iPhone (Android app coming soon).
In addition to capturing 4K 360° video, Rylo touts its built-in cinematic stabilization as one of the key selling points as the camera is currently targeted at the consumer market to capture action shots in a similar manner that the GoPro was upon its introduction.
Rylo has also created an editing app for the iPhone that lets users create a traditional HD video, using touchscreen finger motions to direct the camera around the 360° space, that they can share via the platform of their choice. Or users can simply share the immersive 360° video on platforms that support it. The editing app also allows users to increase the speed of their footage with exports up to 16x the original speed, and the extreme wide angle lenses let users capture 6K panoramic photos with the touch of a button.
With 30 fps as the only frame rate option, Rylo doesn't quite feel like a cinematic camera, but rather seems to be taking what GoPro started years ago with action cameras and bringing it into the 360° world at a very affordable price point. Perhaps future iterations of Rylo will include additional frame rates, such as 24, 25 and 60 fps, but for $499, 4K at 30 fps is a good start.
You can check out more demo videos and order your Rylo directly from the company's website.
- Dual wide-angle lenses, 208° FOV (7mm equivalent)
- f2.8 fixed aperture
- Anodized aluminum alloy body
- Water-resistant Adventure Case optional
- Single button power and record
- 4K 360° video recording, 30 fps
- Up to 16x timelapse export
- 6K panoramic photo capture
- microSD slot (16GB microSD card included)
- 3.8V 830mAh (3.15Wh) removable Li-Ion battery, charging via Micro USB
- Up to 60 minutes continuous recording
- 72.5mm (h) x 37.0mm (w) x 42.7mm (d), 3.8 oz (108g)
- iPhone 10/11+ with iOS app for watching, editing, and saving videos and photos (Android support coming soon)