This year was full of controversy and growing pains in the industry, balanced by stellar indie releases, gear innovations, and inspiring filmmaker journeys. In our final episode of 2017, co-hosts Jon Fusco, Charles Haine, and yours truly, Liz Nord reveal our favorite films, top camera and gear choices, and predictions for the future of the film business. We also discuss our best takeaways from talking to some of the most interesting filmmakers and industry pros on the planet, from DIY maverick Sean Baker to Wonder Woman DP Matt Jensen to French new wave and Cannes-winning filmmaker Àgnes Varda.
See all of our 2017 Year-in-Review coverage, including lists of best gear, visionary music videos, and more here.
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- Watch: There Are No VFX in This One-Shot Video, Created Entirely In-Camera on a Massive Set
- Hackintosh 101: How to Build a 4K Editing Machine for Half the Purchase Price of a Mac
- Final Death Comes to Final Cut 7
- 2017 Holiday Gift Guide for Filmmakers
- How Gareth Edwards Beat the System to Land 'Godzilla' and 'Rogue One'
- 'Wonder Woman' DP Matthew Jensen on Shooting the Summer's Biggest Movie on Film
- The First Family of DIY on How to ‘Make Your Own Damn Movie'
- 'The Florida Project': Sean Baker on Why You Need to Invest in Yourself When No One Else Will
- 'Tangerine', 'The Florida Project' Director Sean Baker on Mastering the Art of Guerrilla, Run 'n' Gun Filmmaking
- Why Richard Linklater Thinks You Won't Make It in the Film Industry
- New Wave Crash Course: Agnès Varda’s Personal Film School
- 'Change Your Socks' and More of Ava DuVernay's Advice for a First-Time Filmmaker
Year-in-Review (published so far)
- No Film School's Top Indie Films of 2017
- Best Cameras of 2017
- Best New Grip & Lighting of 2017
- Best Audio Gear of 2017
- Best New Lenses of 201
- The 14 Most Visionary Music Videos of 2017
- 16 Films That Prove 2017 Was the Year of Epic Enviro-Docs
- This Mashup Celebrates All of the Movies That Came Out in 2017
This episode of Indie Film Weekly was produced and edited by Jon Fusco. Featured image from Greta Gerwig's 'Lady Bird.'