Roger Deakins Takes Home His 4th ASC Award, This Time for 'Blade Runner 2049'
The winners of the 2018 ASC Awards have been announced. Here's who went home with the top prizes!
At Hollywood and Highland's Ray Dolby Ballroom last night, the American Society of Cinematographers held its 32nd annual ASC Awards to honor some of the year's best cinematographers in film and television.
In the television categories, Boris Mojsovski and Adriano Goldman took home awards for 12 Monkeys and The Crown respectively. On the film front, Mart Taniel took the Spotlight Award for the absolutely gorgeous fantasy drama November, directed by Rainer Sarnet, but the big winner last night was Roger Deakins, who beat out Bruno Delbonnel, Hoyte van Hoytema, Rachel Morrison, and Dan Laustsen for the coveted Theatrical Picture prize for his work on Blade Runner 2049.
Deakins, who has won a total of three ASC awards, not including its Lifetime Achievement Award, is up for an Academy Award for the dazzling sequel to Ridley Scott's 1982 film, and this ASC win could be an indicator that the longtime snubbed cinematographer will finally take home that golden Oscar statue on March 4th. I mean, at this point, the snubbing has become comical...and sad. Give the ol' boy his damn Oscar already!
Here is the full list of award winners and nominees.
Motion Picture, Miniseries, or Pilot Made for Television
- Pepe Avila del Pino for The Deuce "Pilot"
- Serge Desrosiers, CSC for Sometimes the Good Kill
- Mathias Herndl, AAC for Genius "Chapter 1" [WINNER]
- Shelly Johnson, ASC for Training Day"Apocalypse Now"
- Christopher Probst, ASC for Mindhunter "Pilot"
Episode of a Series for Non-Commercial Television
- Gonzalo Amat for The Man in the High Castle"Land O’ Smiles"
- Adriano Goldman, ASC, ABC for The Crown "Smoke and Mirrors" [WINNER]
- Robert McLachlan, ASC, CSC for Game of Thrones "The Spoils of War"
- Gregory Middleton, ASC, CSC for Game of Thrones "Dragonstone"
- Alasdair Walker for Outlander "The Battle Joined"
Episode of a Series for Commercial Television
- Dana Gonzales, ASC for Legion "Chapter 1"
- David Greene, ASC, CSC for 12 Monkeys "Mother"
- Kurt Jones for The Originals "Bag of Cobras"
- Boris Mojsovski, CSC for 12 Monkeys "Thief" [WINNER]
- Crescenzo Notarile, ASC, AIC for Gotham "The Executioner"
- Máté Herbai, HSC for On Body and Soul
- Mikhail Krichman, RGC for Loveless
- Mart Taniel, ESC for November [WINNER]
- Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC for Blade Runner 2049 [WINNER]
- Bruno Delbonnel, ASC, AFC for Darkest Hour
- Hoyte van Hoytema, ASC, FSF, NSC for Dunkirk
- Rachel Morrison, ASC for Mudbound
- Dan Laustsen, ASC, DFF for The Shape of Water
Board of Governors Award
Career Achievement in Television Award
Lifetime Achievement Award