Blackmagic's Free, 444-Page Guide to DaVinci Resolve 16 Is Here
Need to learn everything about DaVinci Resolve 16? Start here!
Blackmagic Design's DaVinci Resolve 16 is a professional filmmaking program that allows creators to color correct, edit, add visual effects, and work with post-production audio. If you weren't aware, its basic version is free to download, while a more loaded "Studio" version costs $299.
If you're just starting out with DaVinci Resolve 16, Blackmagic has just released an enormous, 444-page user guide to help you get acclimated to the program. The guide also free to download on their training page!
You can also purchase a hard copy of the guide here. Let's look at what's included in the guide!
What the guide will teach you
According to the guide, anyone from professional editors to students can learn "how to edit, composite, color correct, and mix audio" and get the basics on "editing, visual effects, motion graphics, color correction, and audio."
One major new feature of DaVinci Resolve 16 is their "cut page," a streamlined, simple user interface intended for editors who need to work fast under tight deadlines. This is a big focus of the guide, but it also promises you'll learn:
- How to edit, add effects, and post to the web
- How to set up projects, import media, and use metadata
- How to mark selections, edit clips in the timeline, and how to use context sensitive trimming
- How to retime clips, add transitions, and pan and scan photos
- How to use title templates
- How to navigate the Fusion page
- How to use color tools for primary and secondary corrections
- How to match shots, use color management, create looks, and grade multiple clips
- How to track objects in a shot, use curves, and add ResolveFX
- How to use audio sweetening and mixing with Fairlight
- How to record voiceover
- How to deliver projects in different formats
Blackmagic Design certified training
Not only is Blackmagic providing the free guide, there's also a certification program complete with video tutorials.
The lesson files are available for download at this link.
Once you work your way through the guide and tutorials, there is an online exam to complete your certification.