How to Find Your Way Into the Industry with Jessica M. Thompson
We are joined by Jessica Thompson, whose feature film, The Light of the Moon, won the Audience Award for Best Narrative Film at the SXSW Film Festival in 2017.
Thompson explains how she got started in the film industry and shares her approach to choosing projects to work on.
In this episode, we talk about…
- Being influenced by her favorite filmmakers, she decided to start her career as an editor.
- Moving from Australia to New York City for better opportunities in the film industry.
- Thompson’s approach to projects—she only does projects she is truly passionate about.
- Managing nerves before pitching for a script, and dealing with disappointment if the pitch is rejected.
- How Thompson pitched five times before getting hired to direct the film The Invitation.
- Taking acting classes to help her better understand and communicate with her actors.
- What specific approach Thompson applies during rehearsal time.
Subscribe to the No Film School Podcast on:
Get your question answered on the podcast by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Listen to more episodes of the No Film School podcast right here:
This episode of The No Film School Podcast was produced by George Edelman.