Award-Winning Director John Madden Talks Crafting Tension in 'Operation Mincemeat'
Accomplished director John Madden shares his extensive film and radio experience and breaks down the art of storytelling in Operation Mincemeat.
In this episode, we talk about…
- Entering the film industry by way of theater, British television, and radio drama
- The overlap of radio film and how rhythm is key to cinematic storytelling
- Learning to put story first, script first, sound first as a film director
- Operation Mincemeat’s origin and ties to Hitchcock’s The Man Who Never Was
- Ongoing speculation, conspiracy theories, and the craft of narrative
- Recognizing a world unfamiliar with World War II cinematic literature
- When a story jumps off a page and attracts the actors you want
- The balance of casting from choice actors and leaning on a casting director
- Embracing the fact the film will live on a digital platform
Subscribe to the No Film School Podcast on:
Get your question answered on the podcast by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Listen to more episodes of the No Film School podcast right here:
This episode of The No Film School Podcast was produced by George Edelman.