Parasite is getting a 4K remaster and a black and white version for Criterion.
The Criterion Collection will debut its Parasite Blu-Ray on October 27th, 2020, marking the 1-year anniversary since the film was released in theaters. We're not only getting a 4K remaster of the original film supervised by Bong Joon-Ho, but also a black-and-white version and new audio commentary track with Bong and film critic Tony Rayns.
So that will be a ton of fun!
Who go black-and-white?
Director Bong Joon-Ho told The Hollywood Reporter, "I think it may be vanity on my part, but when I think of the classics, they're all in black and white," he said at the International Film Festival Rotterdam, where he dropped in during a chaotic awards season schedule to give a master class and present the world premiere of the new Parasite edit. "So I had this idea that if I turned my films into black and white then they'd become classics."
Criterion released a statement saying, “A zeitgeist-defining sensation that distilled a global reckoning over class inequality into a tour de force of pop-cinema subversion, Bong Joon-Ho’s genre-scrambling black-comic thriller confirms his status as one of the world’s foremost filmmakers. Two families in Seoul—one barely scraping by in a dank semibasement in a low-lying neighborhood, the other living in luxury in a modern architectural marvel overlooking the city—find themselves on a collision course that will lay bare the dark contradictions of capitalism with shocking ferocity. A bravura showcase for its director’s meticulously constructed set pieces, bolstered by a brilliant ensemble cast and stunning production design, Parasite cemented the New Korean Cinema as a full-fledged international force when it swept almost every major prize from Cannes to the Academy Awards, where it made history as the first non-English-language film to win the Oscar for best picture.”
Parasite Criterion Specs
- New 4K digital master, approved by director Bong Joon-Ho and director of photography Hong Kyung Pyo, with Dolby Atmos soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New audio commentary featuring Bong and critic Tony Rayns
- Black-and-white version of the film with a new introduction by Bong, and Dolby Atmos soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New conversation between Bong and critic Darcy Paquet
- New interviews with Hong, production designer Lee Ha Jun, and editor Yang Jinmo
- New program about the New Korean Cinema movement featuring Bong and filmmaker Park Chan Wook (Oldboy)
- Cannes Film Festival press conference from 2019 featuring Bong and members of the cast
- Master class featuring Bong from the 2019 Lumière Festival in Lyon, France
- Storyboard comparison
- PLUS: An essay by critic Inkoo Kang
Head on over to Criterion to reserve your copy of Parasite.