When a young Roger Deakins went out to film his first film projects back in the early 1970s, do you think he had any idea of which digital audio recorder he would eventually pick to use for his Team Deakins podcast in the 2020s?
Or do you think he was more focused on how to set up his camera, light his scene, and get the most cinematic footage possible for his shot?
It’s funny to think about how fast technology has evolved over the years, and just how drastically things can change in terms of the content we both produce and consume.
One area which is growing rapidly is audio content. Whether that be podcasts, livestreams, music recording sessions, or yes—even traditional film and video—audio is becoming a huge part of our daily lives.
As such, it’s always important to highlight some new innovations and releases in the space, including new audio production consoles, which seem to be targeted at podcasters, but in reality, could serve so much more in the future.
Let’s take a look at the new RØDECaster Pro II and what it could mean for the future of audio creation.
Fully Integrated Audio Production
Dubbed by RØDE as a “fully integrated audio production studio for content creators of all kinds,” the new RØDECaster Pro II is obviously a follow-up to their successful first edition RØDECaster Pro. As we covered in the past, this original RØDECaster Pro was super helpful for a wide range of project types and uses, offering features like:
- USB Mix-Minus
- Broadcast Meters
- Save/Load Shows
- Quick Menu Navigation
- Headphone Boost
- Effects Edit Mode via the Companion App
- The Master Compressor
- And more!
However, this new RØDECaster Pro II is set to really push some boundaries for what a standalone audio recording console can really do.
The RØDECaster Pro II
Coming from RØDE, you can certainly imagine that this new audio tech will offer great sound quality and recording. But the real appeal of a recorder like this is its versatility for different projects.
RØDE CEO Damien Wilson says:
“We designed it completely from the ground up to deliver unprecedented performance and complete adaptability in any creative application, from gaming and streaming to music production. And, of course, it’s still the most powerful podcasting console available. This is not simply an evolution of the RØDECaster Pro. It’s a completely new beast unlike anything you’ve seen before.”
Some of the biggest features to highlight include:
- Ultra-low-noise, high-gain Revolution Preamps
- High-performance quad-core audio engine
- Studio-quality APHEX® audio processing
- Powerful on-board effects (including reverb, echo, robot, pitch-shifting and more)
- SMART pads for triggering sounds, voice effects, MIDI commands, and mixer actions—eight banks of eight pads for 64 unique actions
- 9 individually assignable channels
- Advanced Bluetooth® connectivity
- Dual USB-C interfaces
- 5.5-inch high-definition touchscreen
All of these should help audio creators of all types create audio content for any variety of podcasts, livestreams, music sessions, or part of your typical video production setup.
Price and Availability
The RØDECaster Pro II is set to launch alongside a whole host of accessories, including an updated RØDECover, carry bags, colored cables, and a VESA mount.
With a robust set of features that make it versatile enough to jump between different mediums, creatives shouldn't sleep on this for their audio needs. Especially those who jump between podcasts, film, or other digital content creation.
- For Podcasters, Streamers, and Musicians
- 4 High-End Mic/Line/Instrument Preamps
- 6 Faders and Large Color Touchscreen
- Multitrack Recording to microSD or USB
- Mix-Minus for Phone Call Interviews
- Studio-Quality APHEX Processing
- 4 Headphone Outputs for Host and Guests
- 8 Programmable Pads for Audio, FX & MIDI
- Dual USB Ports for Two Host Devices
- Bluetooth for Calls & Wireless Playback
You can currently pre-order the RØDECaster Pro II and with a price tag of $699.00. Units are expected to ship by mid-June 2022.
How do you feel about this new piece of audio content creation gear? Let us know in the comments!