We've relaunched as a full community! Get the scoop:

Should You Go to Film School? A Conversation with Ryan E. Walters

This is a guest post by Cinematographer Ryan E. Walters.

With the rise of popularity and accessibility of film schools since the 1960's & 1970's, aspiring film professionals have had the difficult task of choosing where to begin their career path. Is it best to go to school to get formal training, or jump right in and start working? Today with the plethora of free online resources, it makes the choice of formal schooling less appealing. But what is the right choice, and the best way to prepare yourself for a career in the film industry? Let's take a look at what you have to gain, and what you have to lose by following either path.

Why You Should Go To Film School

The film programs offered at many of the prestigious film schools like AFIUSC, or BFA, offer amazing programs and a wealth of knowledge that cannot be found elsewhere. Not only are a lot of their graduates in the top echelons of the film industry, but many of their graduates give back by making themselves available to the current students. Where else can you rub shoulders with, and learn directly from, some of the greats in our field? By skipping out on going to film school, you are missing out on an opportunity to learn from, and more importantly, network with, the elite in our field.

Film School offers you life experience that is very hard to replicate outside of this unique environment. In any college, or post-graduate school, you are forced to rub shoulders with people from all walks of life. You have to interact daily with people who may not share the same viewpoints, tastes, or philosophies. It is through these interactions that you are able to get a broader perspective on the world around you, which is a critical part of good storytelling. Film School also gives you the unique ability to learn and work in all of the different aspects of filmmaking. Your work then gets critically evaluated by your peers, as well as by experienced professors. Where else can you get this kind of necessary, honest feedback without having to make your first feeble attempts at filmmaking public to the entire world?

By enrolling in Film School, you are ensuring that you will learn from the best and create films that will allow you to grow as an artist. You will develop your network of fellow filmmakers from which to pull from as you set out on your first projects. I don't know of any quicker way to make your dreams a reality, than by attending one of these top-tier film schools. These schools are the closest thing to a shortcut to a career path in the industry. (But there are no real shortcuts ...)

Why Film Schools Are Not The Answer

Let's take a look at the reality of the numbers. AFI graduates roughly 140 students from their program every year, and USC about 850. While these programs offer you the best education money can afford, that is precisely the problem. Tuition alone at these schools runs about $40,000 per year, and that doesn't cover books, thesis expenses, living expenses, etc. By the time you complete their programs you will have amassed anywhere from $80,000-$160,000 in school loans. And let's say you are lucky enough to get a 3% interest rate. When you graduate, depending on your loan, you could have monthly payments ranging from $500 - $1,800.

Film schools tout the successes of their graduates, however I do not see 1,000 new Wally Pfisters or Terrence Malicks breaking out every year. And while having a degree from one of these universities is helpful, the reality is that the vast majority of graduates will start out in the field like everyone else, as a production assistant (PA). This is a performance based industry and no one really cares where you got your schooling, but they do care about your work. So it is highly unlikely that the day after you graduate, you'll step onto a major feature film as a director or cinematographer. There is no shame in starting out as a PA. I started out doing an internship at a local production house as an office PA. So what does a PA make? $28,000 a year, or about $2,300 per month, if you are lucky. But even this number is high. When you first start out working as a freelancer, work will not be consistent. At least not until you build your network of referrals. A more realistic number would be around $15,000, or $1,250 per month. At these income levels, it is easy to see that you are going to need to figure out a way to make more money in order to live and pay your school bills. Oh, and don't count on living in LA without roommates either, as the average cost of a one bedroom apartment is$1,350 per month. I'm not saying that it can't be done. It can. However, it isn't going to be as easy as the school's literature and the hype of Hollywood may be leading you to believe.

Furthermore, with access to high-speed internet, and the wealth of knowledge published in many filmmaking books, coupled with the real life hands-on production experience offered by many production companies, there is no reason why you can't create a more affordable and sustainable learning environment for yourself. Imagine what you could do if you took that same $160k and used it to subsidize your career as you are first starting out? You could put $10,000 towards equipment that you could practice with, $10,000 toward books & training courses and then still have $140,000 to cover your living expenses for the next 4.5 years if you decided to pay yourself $30,000 a year.

Don't be fooled by this option either. Skipping the film school path is not without its pitfalls and its own struggles. If you choose this path, you are going to have to be highly motivated to make your career happen. You will have to push yourself to learn, experiment, fail, pick yourself up, and continue on even when things are tough. People in this industry like to work with people they know and trust. Breaking into these circles will be difficult, and it will take time. There is no way around that. But if you prove yourself, and you are a hard worker, you'll find that your referral network will continue to grow and work will become more steady. Skipping film school will also mean that you will not have access to the people who have gone before you. So do what you can to intern, to work under, or with the people in your area who have been working in the field for a long time, and whose work you admire. This is the fastest way to increase your practical knowledge, and turn your online / book reading into meaningful experience.

So Which Should You Choose?

Both paths have huge positives as well as huge potential negatives. A clear-cut, simple answer for everyone doesn't exist. If you are someone who needs that external pressure of deadlines, and school assignments in order to help you grow, then maybe film school is the right choice for you. Many community colleges are offering film programs of their own these days. And while they are not as prestigious as AFI, or USC, they may allow you to actually afford to work in the industry after your graduate.

If you are highly motivated, self-driven, and willing to find creative solutions to fill in the gaps you will have through self-education (like critical peer & professor evaluation of your work), then maybe you can forgo the traditional film school approach. There is a wealth of knowledge on the internet and in many books that will help you reach your goals. Next week, I'll be offering a detailed list of resources, and educational material that I have found helpful over the years. So be sure to check back. :)

What Path Did I Take?

I tend to live an unconventional life. I didn't take either path, or rather I took both. In high school I took the few media classes that existed at the time. And I also shot projects with my friends on old VHS & Hi-8 cameras. In college, I got my undergraduate in a completely unrelated field: Bible, Theology, & Youth Ministry. Then I did an internship as an office PA at a local production company. All the while I was a veracious reader of every filmmaking book I could get my hands on. It was at about this time that the internet began to take off, and I was able to develop more connections with people in my area and begin to grow my network of referrals. My thirst for knowledge and further training lead me to multiple classes and go to conferences in the community, which finally culminated in taking classes at the Art Institue of Portland. Because I already had an undergraduate degree, I wasn't interested in another expensive piece of paper, so I only enrolled in the classes I was interested in taking. To this day, my appetite for learning has never been quenched. I continue to read all that I can, and when I'm not working on a paying gig, I experiment, conduct tests, and shoot projects with my friends that push me and my craft.

In the end, no one can tell you what is the correct path for you. You can only find and create that path by knowing yourself, and honestly evaluating the resources around you. Only then can you make an informed choice as to whether you should go to film school, avoid it, or figure out an alternative path like I did.

What has your path been? Did you go to film school or not? Was it helpful, or do you wish you would have chosen differently? Are there any bits of wisdom you want to share that come form your own experience?

This post originally appeared on Ryan’s Blog.

[on-set images courtesy of River Valley, a Full Sail University Student Film]

Ryan E. Walters is an award-winning Oregon-based cinematographer. His work has allowed him the opportunity to travel worldwide in the pursuit of telling stories that are visually compelling. His experience includes feature films, documentaries, commercials, and shooting for Comcast, TLC, Oxygen, and the Discovery Channel.

I enjoyed most of my MFA degree in film. Film school gave me a chance to develop as an artist without the pressures of the commercial world. It also allowed me to learn different craft and see which ones I preferred, again away from the working world. I went to a relatively inexpensive film school (SFSU) and I'm very grateful to have manageable student loan payments now. I think getting over $150K in debt for a film education is slightly crazy. I didn't make loads of industry connections but I have gone on to paid industry work, making my own shorts, and teaching others.

sahra

Awesome. :) Sounds like you got the best of both worlds. Nicely done. :)

February 4, 2013

This was a great read at 7am. Woke me right up to start writing! I went to Columbia College for film for a semester. Then had to drop out due to my financial issues. Sadly, I couldn't afford to go but for the past two years I have been helping out on all levels with Columbia's high end productions due to the friends I made that semester! I'm finishing my core credits at community college but still fighting. This weekend I entered my first film festival and won Grand Prize. The last couple years of struggle has taught me a whole lot and my fight would not be this strong if it was an annoying assignment. I do wish to transfer to film school such as Tribeca Flashpoint because I'm afraid if I go to LA I won't be given a shot. Plus I still got films to make here for now:

Julian Terry

Nice! Tribeca has a great facility. (At least from what I saw when I visited there last year.) That is a smart move to finish your core classes at a community college. Math is math, no sense in paying extra to be taught it at an art school. :)

Keep at it. The struggles you face are just a part of the life and business. I wish I could say it is all smooth sailing, but it isn't. But I can say that it has been worth it, at least for me. :)

February 4, 2013

In my opinion, if you want to LEARN more about your craft, then by all means, do what you need to do. Whether that means going to film school or learning it on your own, whatever it takes just get it done.
But if you're only going to school because of some misguided notion that it will ensure you a job, then you're in for a rude awakening.

My philosophy with any school of higher learning (film school or otherwise) is that unless you're in a profession that specifically requires the completion of a course and/or degree (doctor, scientist, lawyer, etc) people should only go to school for their EDUCATION, not for a piece of a paper to validate themselves to other people. I've met so many people who've gone to college pursuing a degree in some random field, not because they wanted to pursue a job in that field, but simply because they wanted the satisfaction of graduating with something under their name.

Jeffrey

Great points Jeffrey! :)

This again?

Yes filmschools are worth it, the question Americans should really ask themselfs is why do they pay so much since how much it costs is always the greatest con when asking the question "are film schools worth it".

You should fight for a cheaper but better education, we can do it, why can't you?

Raphael Wood

So since "worth" is ultimately tied to money, you're saying if you lived here (in the USA), it would NOT be worth it.

Jeffrey

Well if you put it that way then I really can't refute that logic, still don't understand why college studies are so expensive in northern america though. It's cheaper for US students to come study in Europe ironically.

Film schools allow you to create new work contacts not only with the next generation of filmmakers but veterans in several industries, it allows you to gain experience with several projects, experience being what I believe to be most important, it will also share with you perspectives from several people on how to do things, allowing you to evolve based on them or by rejecting those views after understanding them but at the end of the day It will not get you a job. Filmschool is for someone with little to no experience and without knowing anyone in the industry to help, a good way to start, just not for 40000$ a year, for that much you can buy gear, participate in masterclasses and workshops, pay for the expenses an internship with no pay has in big productions.

It's ironic that the USA has the most successful cinema industry yet the filmschools require such ridiculous payment. But then again from what I hear it's not only in filmschools that you pay so much.

Raphael Wood

AFAIK, the reason why education (and health care for that matter) is so expensive in the USA is probably a direct result of the way Americans mistrust government so much that their tax base is completely different. Europeans pay more tax per liter gasoline than Americans pay per gallon and income and sales taxes are far higher (and the more you make the less you pay).

February 4, 2013

Thank you, that is interesting information. So, if I understand this correctly, one could say that the american citizens are the root of the problem? That's almost like a paradox.

Raphael Wood

I agree with this in general, but "the more you make the less you pay" is incorrect. If you're talking about proportion of income then you are right in some cases, but ultimately most wealthy people are paying far more than the average citizen. If you make 50 times what someone else makes and they pay (for example) 25% income tax then you would need to pay less than 0.5% income tax to be paying less than them. Nobody, apart from people who are just evading taxes altogether, is paying that low a percentage of their income. Wealthy people actually pay most of the taxes in the United States with the top 1% of tax payers paying over one third of the countries' total tax dollars and the top 50% of tax payers covering virtually all of the nation's tax dollars.

I mean, I'm personally for a lot of social and fiscal reform in the states that would be considered left-leaning, but we need to stop just straight up lying about the facts. Rich people do pay most of the taxes.

At any rate, I enjoyed my experience in film school and think that I learned a lot, but there's no replacement for actual on set experience. You need both.

February 11, 2013

Nick Wernham

I also think there is a lot to learn from European cinema as well. Sure wish there was more content / resources available online, or in books from European filmmakers, and schools. :) (The American way, is only one option, in my opinion.) :)

February 4, 2013

Another great post. Ryan, yup totally agree. I think there is a lot to learn from the European way. Also as many people mentioned attending film school in Europe is much cheaper. As a matter of fact I just got accepted to the Edinburgh College of Art (MA in Directing). They mainly focus on documentary. However, down the road I want to focus on narrative. Do you think it will make much of a difference in the real world what the focus of my program was if I want to do narrative?

February 5, 2013

David,

Congrats! That sounds like a great opportunity. :) I wish you the best of luck in the program. :)

In regards to your question about the emphasis of your degree, no it will not matter in the real world. No one has EVER asked me about my degree. What they want to see is my reel, and my credits. If you can perform and have a good attitude / work ethic it will take you where you want to go. :)

The only word of caution I would give you is that since your focus will be on documentaries in school, you will naturally be surrounded by other people focused on docs as well. That will mean that your primary community will not be focused on narrative work. Which in turn means that your referral base, and your network will be primarilary doc driven. So what you will have to to, is to push yourself to develop a network outside that community where you can develop a referal base of narrative driven work. Doc work is a great place to start out though- as it teaches you a lot about stories, as well as about how to do a lot with a little. It is where Roger Deakins started, and he is one of my favorite cinematographers of all time. :)

February 5, 2013

Well he has a point, 40000/ year you'd better have a great paying gig right after school to start paying off your debt. You obviously will learn a lot in school, make connections and all that stuff but would it be worth 100k and plus worth of tuition? You decide for yourself, in teh end of the day it all comes down to money, if you are wealthy and can spare this, do it, but if you live out of your weekly paycheck and are considering in getting a loan to go to filmschool , you should consider other options nowadays.

Marcus

Ohh you dont need to go to school to make good connections, honestly, start putting good content in the web and the connections magically appear.

Marcus

Agreed, but I still believe it to be a good way to start overall.

Raphael Wood

"In Europe 4000€ a year in a private school is already considered expensive yet you guys in northern america pay around 40000$ a year."

40000 € for a year in Europe is very unlikely. My brother here in Germany is at one of the top business schools and he pays 10.000 € for a year. Another friend is at Regent's UK in London a private top university and he pays approx. 20.000 € a year.

Ferederik O.

Yeah and Femis, the top french filmschool in Paris is also over 30000€ a year, your point? These so called "top" private schools will always be expensive, the difference from what I understand is that we europeans trust in the quality of our public education and in most cases it's actually the best, in the US however you seem to have this idea that only private schools are worth it, correct me if I'm wrong. Besides, the more expensive schools charge that much for master's degrees and upwards not for your simple bachelor's degree.

Raphael Wood

La Femis is much cheaper: TUITION $517 for French citizens; $15,334 for foreigners

All I was saying was that the american fees are crazy, totally unimaginable here in Europe.

Here is a nice link about the 25 best film schools, la femis is on Rank 11.

Ferederik O.

My mistake, it's actually 30000 for the two year masters degree.
Exactly, those fees are crazy, it's actually cheaper for US citizens to come study in europe.

Raphael Wood

My mistake, it's actually 30000 for the two year masters degree.
Exactly, those fees are crazy, it's cheaper for US citizens to come study here.

Raphael Wood

LOL! How TRUE! I think there is a LOT we Americans can learn from you in the EU. :)

February 4, 2013

If I had money for film school I'd be out making films right now instead. Being poor sucks :(

Jake

That is where creativity and ingenuity step in. :) I agree that being poor sucks. But don't let that hold you back either. We all have to start out somewhere, no shame in that. :)

February 4, 2013

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! I went to the school fo google... I learned everything I know about film making from this blog and lots of google searches. Here is the 1st video I made just from learning everything I know from the internet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqX1xHxKUcE&feature=youtube_gdata

I had taught myself everything within 6 months of making that video. From the storyboarding, camera op, lighting, editing, color correcting and animation. All from the internet...Film school is a waste of money!!! I have a degree in sound engineering and now I owe over 100k. I wasn't about to go to film school when all the info you need is online and FREE.

Please critique my video. I am learning and would love some constructive criticism.

thebrentwilliams

For sure- there are LOTS of great resources out there on the net. :)

February 4, 2013

Ok, but what do you know about New Wave cinema? How has American cinema changed since the 40's? The 60's? How did German expressionism influence film noir, and how has that affected comedy in the last ten years?

Kenneth Merrill

Great points. And that is definitely a pit fall of only learning on the internet. It is easy for us to only watch what we like, as well as only current material.

However, I don't think that we NEED to go to school to acquire that knowledge either. I regularly watch old films from the 30's all the way through to current day, and I read as much as I can get my hands on. The public library system is a great resource where I am at. I can check out movies for free, and get just about any book on the history of cinema I can think of. (If not, they are pretty good at finding it.)

I do STRONGLY agree, that we need to learn from those that have come before us, and from people outside of the US. :)

February 5, 2013

I totally agree with you. I am a huge advocate of simple learning by reading, and when it comes to book-learning you can easily learn as much or more from independent study than you can at an institution. I was simply replying to the ludicrous assertion that this fellow learned "everything" there is to know about video-production on the internet. Maybe he wasn't saying that, but unless he was poking fun at himself, he must have thought it was fairly significant. In my experience, though, nothing is more significant than our own history, and it's hard to imagine he learned all of that in 6 months.

February 12, 2013

Kenneth Merrill

David Bordwell? What does he think?

Kenneth Merrill

This is the same discussion I lead my subscribers through. It's an important one to have, to think critically about the topic.

DIYFilmSchool.net

Thinking critically is key for sure. And what better place to evaluate things then at the beginning - with school. :)

February 4, 2013

I'm an educated filmmaker. Been in film school and all that and have mixed emotions about it. What is great with film schools is that you learn all the basics there and you make friends with other filmmakers. The problem is if you have to take loans it might be hard to pay it back later... It is an investment but a high risk investment.

It's also true that you will not learn more in a school then on the field. And everything changes so quickly it's actually hard to keep up the high pace after school if you don't have job or funding for new projects.

After school I have started to work as a photographer instead. It has helped me enormously as a filmmaker because we now use similar solutions for photography and video. So it's important that you not only learn to make film. You have to know about other fields of arts and of course you also have to be able to work alone.
Today is the era of one man bands. Film schools don't teach you that. In the real world there might be no sound guy who help you out with the sound, so you have to record the sound yourself and both be a director and a cameraman at the same time. Not excactly what you learn in the school.

February 4, 2013

Great point. Schools tend not to teach you those aspects of filmmaking. However, hopefully, if people pay attention during their audio class, they can at least apply what they learned about sound to running the audio gear when they are out by themselves.

I'm with you on the ambivalence between the two. Which is why I think there are a lot of good solutions that are a good fit for one person, but may not be a good fit for another. :)

February 4, 2013

I finished art school (not film school) about 12 years ago and have been working in TV ever since. I did learn a lot in school and the best part was being around motivated peers who really pushed you, which I would imagine would be similar in film school. I focused on animation and illustration. The big problem was once I graduated I owed about $50K which is not much compared to what many owe now, but it put a damper on me financially for a while.

Back then, you could not really learn nearly as much on the internet as your could now. I watched Tom Antos' film tutorials on youtube and learned a ton. The guy is a pro and he gives you all the trick over 20 tutorials, certainly the knowledge equivalent of at least 1 year of film school, probably 2.

I think if your parents are pressuring you to get a college degree, you might as well get a degree in something you like. But the truth is, in Hollywood, it doesn't really give you a huge edge. I've realized that over my career that entertainment is a meritocracy. Sure there are people who are born into it, or people who are really good at smoozing, but really it comes down to your portfolio, how like able you are as a person and how hard you are willing to work.

From my experience, working in TV is no joke. 12 hour days are the average, often a lot longer. My friend once told me that he moved to L.A. because "It's one of the few places that you can make a good living without an education." That is true, but the trade off is you have to be willing to work you ass off and constantly strive to get better at your craft. Forget about 8 hour days, and there is always some hungry kid out to eat you for lunch. You have to constantly learn and stay on top of the game, which is not as easy when you get married, start having a family, etc.... and your time becomes limited.

So is film school worth it? Like I said, if you or your parents want the degree. Do it. But you can learn more by buying your own gear, learning on the internet and just working in production.

Gene Sung

Gene- Many great points, thanks for sharing them. :) This industry is not for the faint of heart for sure. And I can support your assertion that TV days are 12 hours+, the shows that film here in town (Portland, Oregon) average at least 12 hours, many times 14 ...

February 4, 2013

The good thing about school is the community.

vinceGortho

For sure. :) And the ability to fail in a non-public (internet) environment. :)

February 4, 2013

With the internet you can learn pretty much all technical aspects of filmmaking yourself within a few months. for free. the only thing film school offers is connections and networking. which you can also get yourself, by making short films and raising hype.

john jeffreys

No one should be going to filmschool to learn filmmaking, filmschool is a guided yet very large investment in your reel.

ryan

you dont really need to go to SCHOOL for that though, do you? Building your reel can be done by yourself and you can grow as an artist yourself through your own personal research, experiences, and such.

john jeffreys

A reel worthy to be above the line of a budgeted feature or commercial I'm not so sure.

ryan

Yep, lots of resources online for sure. :) The other half of the equation is getting real world experience. Books, and online learning (or school for that matter) are GREAT, but they are no substitute for experience- that is where I have learned the most- applying what I have learned. :)

February 4, 2013

It depends on the individual situation. I'm in a film school on scholarship so I dont have to take out $100K+ loans. I have access to Fresnels, HMIs, dollys, silks, black flags, green screens, studio space, sound stages, microphones, and anything else you can think of. People who are interested in helping you with your film and do it for free. Access to almost any film you can think of and watch as much as you want. A theatre to project your films. Editing stations. After effects stations. I learned more on the internet and out working but that said when you take all those things you can learn elsewhere and apply them to the environment of a film school you have a really good chance to make something awesome. There is access to equipment and people you otherwise would have to pay a lot of money for.

Now if I had to take out huge loans I would never do it.

carlos

But what happens when you graduate and you no longer have access to all of those things for free? Will you know what to do? I'm not sure if this is a good thing as unless you are a renowned name, these vital tools are never just flown to you.
A lot of this is about making your film happen. How you pulled strings here and there to get this piece of equipment and made a good impression on this guy so he let you borrow this piece of equipment for free. I think the struggle in gaining these project necessities is all a part of filmmaking.
Sort of the difference between a filmmaker and a director.

February 4, 2013

Barret: Well it would be silly to not prepare for the future. On top of going to school I am shooting and establishing myself and my production company in the area. I dont think that school alone is enough and so I am already trying to put as much focus on a professional career and shooting while going to school. Now that I am familiar with the tools I have better insight into what to invest in for my company, what kind of lighting I like. On set work flow, how to direct actors. You take that knowledge and experience with you.

This is the bottom line with film school. You do nothing more than take classes and get grades you're bound fo failure. You take your future into your own hands and acknowledge that film school is just another tool or medium to gain experience you have a better chance.

In film school you get out what you put in. I would suspect that 0.01% of my peers will have a successful career because they think just because theyre in film schools they will make it in the industry. Not gonna happen

carlos

That is AWESOME! Congrats!!! Take advantage of that as MUCH as you can while you are there. Nothing like being able to use all of those tools on a daily basis! :)

February 4, 2013

I was excited when I saw the topic of this article but was hoping for more in depth analysis. Especially because I'm seriously considering going to film school. I think as a beginner its easy to say that Oh I don't need filmschool, I have my 5d, fs100, scarlet etc... But if you read just one article in American Cinematographer, it will become clear that the level of filmmaking where people are paying to watch your work is far more sophisicated than what you can teach yourself and requires traditional training.

Also at least in San Francisco, to get time off work and then find a group of professional actors and crew to donate time is very very difficult to schedule when budget is very limited. I can only afford to shoot something serious maybe every couple months. At least in film school everyone would be completely free and dedicated. When all that matters is the portfolio, film school offers three years of free time to develop it. Funding my own productions in a secondary market would never yeild as much in the same time. I'm sure the value of filming 15 to 25 shorts with a competant crew would cost upwards of 200,000. I feel if your next short would be good even without resources then you're probably ready, but if your next short will still not be good if you had the resources, then it may not be worth it.

I'm concerned because most MFA programs seem to cater to writer/directors, since I'm only really interested in cinematography, I'm not sure which programs have room for that. I saw on UCLAs site that they have two spots for cinematographers out of hundreds of applicants. Since I'm not supported at all by nepotism, I'm weary of my chances.

ryan