March 31, 2015

All-in-One Video Collaboration Platform Frame.io Has Officially Launched

Imagine if you had the file sharing capabilities of Dropbox, the ability to review video like Vimeo, and the convenient communication of email all in one place. That's essentially what the collaboration platform Frame.io is all about, and today is the day of their official launch.

The launch of this platform is exciting, because filmmakers always desire more simplicity and efficiency in their workflow, and that desire revealed itself in the huge response to Frame.io very early on during their 6-month private beta program. We've talked at great length about the potential for this platform in the past, offering a complete breakdown of its tools and features, as well as a Q&A with co-founder Emery Wells. However, if you're unfamiliar with Frame.io, check out the video below to become acquainted:

Features

• Accelerated uploading in the browser for fast and efficient media file loading
  • Cloud transcoding of video assets for guaranteed playback on any device; with support for professional formats
  • Hover scrubbing for instant preview of clips
  • Seamless drag and drop interface for simple manipulation of files, content and communications
  • Private workspace for managing separate projects
  • Time-based, frame-specific comments and annotations for clearer communication
  • Side by side version comparison for clear, simple view of changes between versions

This quick demo shows you how it all works:

Frame.io offers an always-free version, which offers 2GB of storage to a team of 5 collaborators for 1 project. So, if you're planning on using the service often on bigger projects with larger crews, their monthly packages would be more up your alley. They start out at $15 and go all the way up to $150 per month.

Again, the big launch just happened today, so if you want to know more about pricing, features, and more, just head on over to Frame.io and take a gander.

Been using it now for the past week and I'm really liking the interface. Haven't had a project yet to seriously test the capabilities yet but I think this will come in handy.

March 31, 2015 at 1:59PM

Looks interesting but if someone is shooting raw 4k files how long is it going to take to send to their servers?

March 31, 2015 at 2:10PM

treykaiza@gmail.com
Cat Herder

That will depend on your bandwidth. Many people are sending smaller files for work in progress review. Or sending transcoded MP4's for dailies. There are a variety of workflows depending on your connectivity and needs.

March 31, 2015 at 2:19PM

Emery Wells
CEO, Frame.io

I am really excited for what this app offers and where they will eventually go with it. I remember Adobe had something similar to this called "Adobe Review". It allowed you to not only mark up video but also for that markup to be imported onto your timeline. I hope in the future Frame.io figures out how to implement a feature like the what Adobe originally had.

March 31, 2015 at 4:03PM

Saskamodie
Filmmaker

You can try takes.io, they have a feature for exporting markups to Adobe products that works pretty well.

May 12, 2015 at 6:28PM

How does this differ from Wipster?

March 31, 2015 at 4:15PM

Looks really useful for reviewing work, but seriously doubt I'd use it for sharing final delivery versions. 2GB wouldn't be enough for a single music video in ProRes HQ and the mobile version of your website doesn't give a price list... Do you have to sign up for the free trial before you can find out the cost?

March 31, 2015 at 5:40PM

It works great! Been using it for a few days now. The coolest part is that you can literally draw on the paused footage, and point out problem areas quickly and efficiently in realtime.

March 31, 2015 at 5:46PM

Timur Civan
Director of Photography

Its a great service I have been using for about a week now. I do love that collaborators don't have to go through a lengthy signup process. They enter their email and their in!
My only gripe is I wish there was a way to avoid the upload process. I'm guessing the bulk of the cost for the consumer is the storage/ bandwidth costs on their servers. I hope in the future they implement a way to use the service with the media that is stored on my personal server or a much cheaper cloud service for a small fee,I emphasize small.
Storage prices on almost all major cloud services are falling. Google offers 15GB free or 100GB for $2/month! Can't beat that! Frame should harness that and use it to their advantage. Personally I have a 20TB NAS that I will continue to use for my larger projects. It's a great service but pricing is a little high for the pro level accounts when I and most filmmakers already have plenty of cloud storage in use already. But I will remain a free account customer for my small projects.

March 31, 2015 at 6:07PM, Edited March 31, 6:07PM

Cameron, can you confirm how long it takes to send files to their servers? I'm on a 100MB Timewarner connection. Are you guys using Google Fiber or Verizons fiber service?

March 31, 2015 at 8:34PM

treykaiza@gmail.com
Cat Herder

I have the free account and so I have been exporting small h.264 files to Frame and I am getting on average 3MB/s upload. 150MB files upload in about 1-2 mins. Hope that helps.

I do find it interesting how Emery Wells hasn't posted since all the comments and/ or suggestions have come in.

April 2, 2015 at 5:23PM

completely agree.

i think their problem is, that the potential market for this is only a tiny piece compared to regular cloud services. so the prices need to be tailored to professionals and hosting all the files through their own service makes the prices a little more reasonable.

400GB cost around $12 on S3 per month. if they would offer what youre suggesting theyd need to charge $138 for the top tier model but without any storage included to make the same kind of money. that would seem even less reasonable.

April 1, 2015 at 4:57AM, Edited April 1, 4:57AM

Paul-Louis Pietz Pröve
director / dop / editor

I'm confused about what this is exactly. Is it an NLE? Or is it just for rushes preview?

March 31, 2015 at 8:33PM

Ben Howling
Writer / Director

It's a collaborative feedback video preview service... I dunno what the official title is. But you essentially invite clients/collaborators to view a video and provide timecoded feedback. By the looks of it, clients can also download files, so it could also replace services like Hightail if you use those...

April 1, 2015 at 11:22AM

Thanks mate. Doesn't seem like something I'd need to use at this point, but I can see its potential usefulness.

April 1, 2015 at 7:09PM

Ben Howling
Writer / Director

Or.... I can use Sony Ci, pay less, and get an NLE included. *Frame IO = waste of money.

April 1, 2015 at 3:08AM, Edited April 1, 3:08AM

Shaun Wilson
DP, Producer, Director

Hey Shaun, we tried Sony Ci and the complex UI works for some, we just wanted to simplify. Have you even tried the product?

April 3, 2015 at 2:10PM

John Traver
Cofounder / CTO @ Frame.io

Ha! I was only visiting their website a day or two ago wondering if they'd launched yet...

I'll trial the free version to see if it's worth it. Tried to get some clients to use Sony Ci, but proved to be more hassle than it was worth. These things have to be intuitive for dummies otherwise you're just going to turn into an IT Helpdesk for your client....

April 1, 2015 at 11:00AM, Edited April 1, 11:00AM

Interface looks really neat; very out-of-your-way. Projects to your left; people to your right. Clips are very accessible and you're not buried in buttons. Plus listed features (remember this is a web app that will run in your web browser not a native app like Resolve).

April 1, 2015 at 4:01PM

Gboyega Dada
Director of Photography, Editor

Just looks like they copied http://wipster.io/ exactly, which has been around for yonks.

April 1, 2015 at 10:24PM

Yeah, there's similarities, but the Wipster.io pricing is ridiculous compared to Frame.io

April 2, 2015 at 12:47AM

Nah. I'm a Wipster customer and have been since beta. Wipster is terrific for client feedback, but little else. Comparing versions isn't built in. Commenting is limited. File support is limited.

I'm definitely keeping Wipster for my personal freelance projects for client review. But for the team that I do other work with, we're looking at frame.io since it looks like it's a lot stronger than Wipster for collaboration.

Team collaboration and client feedback are two very different needs, and I think both of these tools handle them (somewhat) differently. That said, I am interested to see if Wipster develops new features in response to this.

April 2, 2015 at 5:31PM

David S.

Frame.io has been in development for three years, wipster has been available for one. It was unfortunate to see them release, but I assure you not a single pixel was copied. Our version one is a far more robust solution. No offense to wipster, they seem to have a great product. We just wanted to create a product that covers more bases. With just a little dabbling in our product, you will see how much more power you have.

April 3, 2015 at 2:17PM

John Traver
Cofounder / CTO @ Frame.io

This kind of argue has strictly no value, they could have been developing for years before they launched as you did...
And I don't see why Frame is "more robust" besides the fact that you can upload any file type, which is completely useless as you can only open video/sounds files. Dropbox is far more powerful when it comes to sharing files. Your product is cool guys, but learn to know your market and focus on who you target.

May 12, 2015 at 6:23PM

Cool interface! But for only $30/month http://www.ShotgunSoftware.com blows both Frame.io and Wipster.io away. Shotgun is used not only by VFX houses, but major Film, TV, and Game studios.

April 2, 2015 at 10:37PM

Razor
VFX Colorist

Thanks for the input! We are aware there are some robust solutions out there for high end professionals. We built Frame.io as a tool to be used if you are a high end VFX guy or an individual wedding videographer. Our tool has appealed to marketing teams, sports coaches, educators, and numerous people in vastly different industries. These people are looking for a solution like Frame.io.

April 3, 2015 at 2:26PM

John Traver
Cofounder / CTO @ Frame.io

John, I have used Frame.io and I understand its interface and its features really well. What you have so far is cool, and I like it. And yes, I can easily see it being used by a wedding videographer, but certainly not by a major studio. Unless you can throw up a customer list like Shotgun does http://www.shotgunsoftware.com/customers/ I seriously doubt any VFX or major studios are using Frame.io at all. Almost every one of them are using Shotgun and have been. In comparison, the Frame.io features are very very light to what's available in Shotgun and the price point ratio for all of those features is far better on the Shogun side for $30 to Frame.io's $25 per month. For only $5 more there's a world of difference in features. I really like the Frame.io interface and its basic features, but I only see it's market being for casual users and certainly not a tool to meet the needs of any big TV, Game, or Film/VFX studio.

April 5, 2015 at 7:22AM

Razor
VFX Colorist

Frame.io is currently being used by some of the largest and most prestigious companies/studios in the world. We've been alive for a week. Shotgun has been around for a few years. Give a little time and you'll see the power of Frame.io evolve :)

April 6, 2015 at 12:05PM

Emery Wells
CEO, Frame.io

Razor, not sure what you're arguing this for. I use Shotgun every day at my job, and it's extremely clear that Shotgun is not going to take over the same marketspace that Frame.io is targeting, and vice versa.

May 4, 2015 at 12:19PM

Brady
Director, VFX, Software developer

With a few developments this is probably going to replace Dropbox and Hightail.

The presentation video is overdone - almost discredits the product. And it fails to describe what the product exactly is. Hope they're not that vague and abstract with their coding and product development.

April 6, 2015 at 8:38PM

Raph Dae
Screenwriter & attempted director

Thanks for the feedback Raph. But to be fair, it wasn't intended to be a product video. It's a brand video. We want to convey we deeply understand the needs and problems. A more concise product video is coming. We honestly just didn't have the time/resources to make one for the launch.

April 7, 2015 at 9:34AM

Emery Wells
CEO, Frame.io

I like Frame.IO and will be using it. Interface is simple and clear and that's important as some clients need hand holding over these things. However someone smart could create an interface that utilises Bittorrent Sync bypassing the cloud altogether therefore reducing the gigabyte cost drastically. Frame.IO?

April 11, 2015 at 7:37PM

Jonathon Sendall
Stories

Say Goodbye to all Social Media platforms. Hello Frame.io

April 12, 2015 at 5:22PM, Edited April 12, 5:22PM

Michiel Eskens
Director & Editor

Been using Wipster for a bit but this takes it to a whole other level. Looks like Frame.io is pushing out updates and more features too - That FCPX companion app sounds delicious. The only drawback Ive seen thus far is the requirement for clients to create an account... which is a huge pain. I like that Wipster lets clients comment without creating a new account.

April 25, 2015 at 6:42PM

JJ Sereday
Director/Cinematographer/Editor

I just signed up for the free version. Something like this is exactly what I was looking for. Quick, simple, and organized. Great job guys!

May 4, 2015 at 1:30AM