December 9, 2015

26 Simple Tricks That You Can Use to Supercharge Your Editing in Premiere Pro CC

If you're not cutting efficiently, then you're throwing away time that could be better spent on the creative aspects of editing.

In an epic blog post from Derek Lieu, the editor shared some of his most used shortcuts, tools, and techniques for faster editing in Premiere Pro. The video he included in that post combines three of my favorite things in this world: bumpin' music, tips for efficient editing, and adorable kitties. Check it out.

In the full post, Derek shares all of these tips in far more detail than in the video. He also includes the default keyboard shortcuts for each technique, his custom shortcut, and the equivalent in the other major NLEs (just in case you're not a Premiere user). Again, it's an epic post, and you should go check it out.

Here are a few favorites that I use often that have probably shaved countless hours off the time I've spent in front of my computer.

11. Swap Clips (Feature)
If you want to move a clip to another part of the timeline without creating a gap, hold (Cmd-Opt) and drag the clip to where you want it to go and the surrounding clips swap around.

Final Cut Pro 7 – First click and hold on the clip, THEN press (Option) and drag clip to where you want it.
Final Cut Pro X – Default behavior of Magnetic timeline, just drag and drop.
Avid Media Composer – Using the Yellow Arrow, drag the clip to where you want it to go.

24. Paste Attributes (Shortcut)
For when you have a clip that you’ve applied some effects or transformation properties to that you want to reuse. Just select the clip, hit “Copy” and use Paste Attributes on the clips that you want to put those on. I used that a lot for this blog post’s video because I wanted to copy the position and zoom of the clips.

My Setting – (Shift-V)
Default Setting – (Shift-Cmd-V)
Final Cut Pro 7 – Same
Final Cut Pro X – Same
Avid Media Composer – Does not exist, but if you put the
playhead over a clip with effects then from the Effect editor you can drag a copy to other clips.

What are your favorite tips, tricks, and techniques for editing more efficiently in Premiere (or any other NLE for that matter)? Share them with us down in the comments!

Awesome.

December 9, 2015 at 5:18PM, Edited December 9, 5:18PM

Isaiah Corey
Director of Photography

Very useful tips! I wish the shortcut were listed in the title slides of the video. I guess I'll have to click the link to view the full post...

December 9, 2015 at 10:40PM

How about Davinci Resolve 12? I'm still new to it. Do they have similar features?
Thank you.

December 10, 2015 at 5:40AM

J Arrivu Jacob
Scriptwriter/Storyteller/Director/Editor

the very best way to 'supercharge' your editing with premiere pro is to not use that POS CC15 .... which is still a rancid, bug-addled hunk of junk. i've always thought that nofilmschool should have done a little reporting on that ... considering that so many pros use it ... or: try to use it. half a year after it's release, it's still a nightmare. and us idiots continue to pay our subscriber fees.

December 10, 2015 at 9:51AM

stephen knifton
owner / creative director

If I'm not mistaken they've fixed the bugs..you're probably not on the most recent version. The original release of CC15 was terrible, but the second release improved a lot and I love the color panel. Edited my most complicated project on it recently and only when the timeline was extremely bloated did it crash once.

December 10, 2015 at 10:59AM

Jeremiah Kuehne
Filmmaker

Hi Jeremiah.

Have you installed the latest Premiere Pro CC 2015 update, the one released on November 30th?

I haven't installed it yet because I first want to make sure that it doesn't add any additional bugs and that it does indeed fix the bugs that were previously confirmed.

December 10, 2015 at 2:43PM, Edited December 10, 2:43PM

Glenn Bossik
Videographer

Unfortunately the new version had a game-breaking bug for me, DNxHD files encoded into a quicktime container are now broken (with 709 levels). The gamma has shifted and blacks and highlights crushed. Worked great in the previous version 2015.0

December 11, 2015 at 7:12AM

Mikko Löppönen
Editor

I have the one prior to that and it seems to be working fine for me. Haven't tried the November update yet.

December 11, 2015 at 1:09PM

Jeremiah Kuehne
Filmmaker

I just installed the November 30th update and I'm still getting choppy playback in full HD.

I have a fast PC, so I don't understand what's going on with this software.

December 11, 2015 at 4:20PM

Glenn Bossik
Videographer

Nope, You're mistaken. Stephen is right. Current user/sucker/left last month. Crashing, money taking out of account. Bugs. Good job, Ado$e. Looking forward to RETURNING TO FCP.

December 10, 2015 at 2:43PM

It would take a lot for me to go back to FCP...I despise it. I'd sooner go to Resolve, probably.

December 11, 2015 at 1:10PM

Jeremiah Kuehne
Filmmaker

FCPX is the best digital editing tool in terms of ease of use and learning curve. Is a new way to work, once you try it, you will never want to go back to "tape-alike" improvisations.

December 11, 2015 at 2:44PM

Saul Moreno
Producer

if you really want to take the temperature: go on adobe ppro forum, as i do about once a month, and see if the dust has settled. every time i visit, there is a fresh litany of crippling complaints that various users are plagued with. and all of those howls of protest have inevitably been messaged to the forum within the past few hours of me checking ... so .... you do the math. your mother, down below, are you abandoning AE as well ... assuming you use it ?

December 10, 2015 at 3:34PM

stephen knifton
owner / creative director

Unfortunately I have to echo this statement. When premiere works it's fantastic, but I have weekly crashes on small projects, and the seemingly endless amount of small issues that crop up drive me absolutely insane. Render errors, improper white and black point on certain footage (Sony and NX1). It's forcing me to switch to Resolve/AVID, because I can no longer accept these errors.

December 10, 2015 at 8:47PM

Geoff C. Bassett
Director of Photography

I shoot Sony and haven't had problems. I can imagine the NX1 isn't fully supported yet because of the different codec though.

December 11, 2015 at 1:12PM

Jeremiah Kuehne
Filmmaker

In the last 3 weeks, I've directed and self-edited 11 movie promos on PP 2015 (latest release). No problem at all ! And the optical flow slowmo works pretty well (as good as twixtor, most of the times) on individual clips. I agree that the initial release of CC 2015 was a huge bug-ridden mistake. It took them a few months to fix, but now, my favorite editing software is back on top ! (also: the audio "remix" feature is... magic !)

December 10, 2015 at 9:11PM

Replace Clip From Bin... I use that all the time. And today just learned how to create a composition in After Effects, mark it as a template, and then adjust the text in Premiere. That is going to save me a LOT of time.

December 10, 2015 at 12:11PM

Kevin Alexander
Videographer/Editor

Love it.

December 10, 2015 at 3:59PM

Great post, Robert: always nice to learn new tricks !

December 10, 2015 at 9:12PM, Edited December 10, 9:12PM

This is very useful information. Thanks for sharing. To add to #3, I frequently use "Zoom to Sequence" in Premiere to get an overview of my timeline. I still use the old FCP7 shortcut "shift+Z".

December 23, 2015 at 5:41PM

Patrick Walker
Documentary Filmmaker

I have seen this video like five times but I always get too pumped with the music and stop paying attention halfway through because I end up shakin it

May 21, 2016 at 11:40AM