Panavison Co-Builds the World's Most Advanced Camera: 8K RAW DXL Cinema
Panavision, Light Iron, and RED have joined forces to create the world's most technologically advanced camera.
The Panavision Millennium Digital XL 8K cinema camera is Panavision's official entry into the high-end large format cinema camera ring, and boy did they recruit some heavy-hitting collaborators.
While Panavision focused on the optics, Light Iron took care of color and RED developed the sensor tech to create what may be the most complete system ever made. The team came together to marry the lenses to the camera and the camera to the workflow.
The Panavision DXL was designed for their Primo 70 lenses and shoots 8K .r3d RAW, which is fully supported by RED’s workflow. It is even capable of shooting 4K proxy files in ProRes and DNx at the same time.
Even with all this technology packed in, the camera only weighs about 10 pounds. Check out the video above to get the full picture of just how well this camera has been made to work with accessories, modifications, and mounts.
The likelihood of getting your hands on one of these babies if you're a fledgling filmmaker is pretty slim, but my god, just look at that thing. Like most Panavision cameras, and their direct competitor the Arri Alexa 65, it will operate on a rental-only system, and the pricing packages have yet to be announced. The camera should be hitting rental stores sometime in the first quarter of 2017.
The 8K Panavison DXL Cinema Camera
- Sensor Type: 16-bit, 35.5 Megapixel CMOS
- Resolution: 8192 x 4320
- Sensor Size: Large Format: 40.96mm x 21.60mm (Diagonal: 46.31mm)
- Dynamic Range: 15 stops
- Max Frame Rate: 60 fps at 8K Full Frame (8192 x 4320), 75 fps at 8K 2.4:1 (8192 x 3456)
- Recording Codec: 8K RAW with simultaneous 4K proxy (ProRes or DNx)
- Recording Media: SSD (up to 1 hour on a single magazine)
- File Type: *.r3d (supported in RED SDK)
- Color Profile: Light Iron Color (compatible with all popular gamuts and transfer curves)
- Weight: 10 lbs.
- 6 independent video outputs
- Supports 6 independent 1D LUTs or up to 4 independent 3D LUTs
- Directly motorize Primo 70 lenses through wireless control
- Built-in wireless timecode for genlock (Ambient Control Network)
- Dual menus (Operator side, Assistant side)
- Advanced airflow system for superior temperature management
- Custom cheese plate with integrated electronics
- Modular and tool-less quick changeover accessories