January 24, 2012

Videos Take Center Stage in Vimeo's New Redesign

I've always been a fan of Vimeo's clean design, not to mention their filmmaker-centric features and community. Today they officially announced a new design, which places larger video embeds front and center, and which they will be rolling out over the next few weeks. I was surprised to see my friend Damian Washington in the launch video -- you might recognize this guy as the lead from The West Side -- or not, he looks quite different when not in an alternate universe:

A sampling of new Vimeo features:

• Import friends/followers from Facebook and Twitter
  • Related links on almost every page for easier navigation
  • Enhanced messaging features, like sorting unread messages
  • Smarter thumbnail selection
  • The ability to sort videos by their length
  • Vimeo Events listings let you know what we’re doing and where we’ll be
  • Add a personal message when you invite friends
  • Picasa photo support for video pages
  • Voice recognition search with Google Chrome browser
  • Download any version of a video (SD, HD, original, mobile)
  • Super-sharp 960-pixel thumbnails on the video page
  • Contextual help module on every page of Vimeo
  • Your recently uploaded videos appear on your homepage
  • Add multiple URLs to your profile page
  • Delete a video right from the video page
  • Combined share/embed functionality
  • More ways to discover all the things Vimeo offers
  • Video downloads available to non-members

You can sign up below for the new design (and read about the new features), or just wait for it to appear sometime in the next few weeks.

Link: Sign up for the new Vimeo

but can we skip forward yet?!

January 24, 2012 at 2:52PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

eric

Yes please! Really need this.

January 24, 2012 at 3:08PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Nicholas

Goooood question... that's a big one.

January 24, 2012 at 3:30PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Not yet, but that's coming. First, check out the new design and let us know what you think!

January 24, 2012 at 3:48PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Blake I'm excited to see how it all works, I put my name in as a tester.

January 24, 2012 at 4:09PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Watch in HTML5 for the ability to skip forward.

January 25, 2012 at 9:55AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Shawn

This sounds GREAT! Waiting to test it! Thanks Vimeo!

January 24, 2012 at 4:33PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

Blake, I'm also very interested in using the new Vimeo. At anytime will there ever be a time where we can begin to monetize from our material on Vimeo? I'm a content creator looking for a new home for a web show I've began filming, aside of YouTube. Also will we ever see a Live Function that will allow content creators to begin streaming Live feeds to the internet? I mean UStream works fine, but I feel it should be incorporated into Vimeo as well for true content creators.

January 24, 2012 at 9:35PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

big question: can we finally add subtitles? it's pretty discriminative for us deafies where we can't add subtitles.

January 24, 2012 at 11:58PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

dispo

Agreed 100%

January 25, 2012 at 4:39AM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM

That's one of the 2 things I'm seriously looking for ( adding subtitles)

The other is to be able to watch the videos on all mobile devices (is this working yet?)

January 26, 2012 at 4:28PM, Edited September 4, 10:54AM