August 27, 2013

Upgraders Get 40% off Adobe Creative Apps, but Only Until August 31

If you were on the fence about switching over to Adobe's subscription-based service through Creative Cloud, maybe their hefty 40% discount for upgraders will seal the deal for you. With the discount, the regular $50/month subscription fee for the entire suite goes down to $30/month for existing CS customers, but since this special offer only lasts until August 31st, you'd better act fast. Check out what Adobe CC has to offer after the jump.

Helpful filmmaking apps like Premier Pro CC, After Effects CC, Photoshop CC, and more, are all now available on Creative Cloud and have been updated with new features.  For existing customers, you can take full advantage of joining Adobe CC with a 40% discount on all plans.

We offer special prices for our Creative Cloud subscription to existing Creative Suite customers. All plans require a previous serial number or registered product, and 1-year subscription agreement.

For videos on the new features for Adobe CC apps, you can watch them here. To get an overall feel of what Adobe CC has to offer, check out the video below.

The single app plan, which requires CS3 or later, costs $9.99/mo and gives you access to, you guessed it, a single app, which means you end up saving up to 50% on your first year. The complete plan, which requires CS6, gives you complete access, costs $19.99/mo and saves you up to 60% on your first year. The $29.99 plan is pretty much the same as the complete plan, only it requires CS3 or later, so that gives you more of a cushion if you haven't upgraded in a while.

So, if you're interested in upgrading to Creative Cloud, and you're an existing CS customer, make sure to sign up for a plan before the sale ends on August 31st. (Special Offers are highlighted with a yellow banner.)

Have you been using Adobe CC? How are you liking it? Got questions/comments about subscription software like Creative Cloud? Head on over to one of our earlier posts to join the discussion.

Link: Creative Cloud -- Adobe

They have had this "deal" since creative cloud went live and will continue to have it for a long time to come. Instead of paying for this shitty and horribly transparent article to try and convince everyone how fucking amazing the "cloud" is, why not just offer what most people actually want. Where are the deals they were going to offer people upset about subscription only? People get angry for a bit, then with a little bit of talk, adobe is able to brush past it without doing a goddamn thing.

August 27, 2013 at 12:16PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Lip

While you complain, the rest of us go make great work with tools we're only paying $30/month for.

They did not pay for this "horribly transparent" article, no one pays for any articles here.

And the deal expires this week, so depending on your definition of a "long time" that too is wrong.

If you don't like Creative Cloud, go use Avid or Final Cut. Complaining does nothing.

August 27, 2013 at 12:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I don't think 38,741 people are complaining because they are stupid and they don't have anything legitimate to complain about. https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-th...

August 27, 2013 at 1:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Razor

Thanks for the link - that's 38,742 now!

August 27, 2013 at 2:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

ron

Folks, stop and think about what you're actually spending. To purchase a copy of Premiere Pro CS6, you'll spend $730. To lease it from Adobe under the single-app plan, it's $19.99/month. That's 36 months to get your money's worth. Technology is moving so quickly that I doubt you'll want the same editing software after 3 years. I'm pretty much in love with the cloud way of life. Instant updates, download anything you want instantly, no waiting for discs to come in the mail. You can get the ENTIRE library of Adobe products for $50/month. I think it's a great deal considering the master suite is over $2000 to purchase outright.

August 27, 2013 at 2:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Steve

Steve I've been an Adobe user since the 90's. I have purchased almost all of the previous Master Collections and I am currently using the CS6 Master Collection. Price is not the big issue. The primary issue is Intellectual Property and perpetual usage. Cancel your CC subscription and then come back and tell me how wonderful Adobe is after you cannot access or modify a single source file.

August 27, 2013 at 3:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Razor

Look at the related posts, it reads as a monthly "this offer is only good until the end of the month! Act Fast!" They have no incentive to ever stop offering it, since a lower price will obviously attract more people to sign up for the pay until you die model. How long did they offer a discounted upgrade price for the boxed sets? Oh right, it was all year round. I wonder if you will still be bending over for adobe when the first wave of price increases come when they decide they need more revenue.

It's not about the money either, I still have my CS6 and I did buy Final Cut. I'll spend some time learning it before switching to it full time when premiere cs6 just doesn't cut it anymore. I do like how you take a shot at the quality of my work just because I didn't jump on board with the cash grab though.

I've been an adobe fan and user for a long time, and just because you can't see others legitimate concerns with the new model doesn't mean they are wrong and should just go use something else and shut up.

Big fan of your work, and I love the site tho!

August 27, 2013 at 5:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Lip

I've been paying into the Adobe ecosystem for a decade. Prior to that I used student versions and yes, cracked versions when I was like 12.

I supported them while they became a functional monopoly, and now that they are the only game in town for certain things (Photoshop, Aftereffects, Illustrator, Indesign) they're going to raise their prices over 50%?

Please. $30/month only helps them get the low end users and students and increase revenue by forcing upgrades rather than allowing studios to skip. Now I have to shell out over $600/user or about $2000 every 3 years, when my costs were $1000-1500 every 3 years, if that (higher on expanding for a new employee, lower when upgrading existing seats).

Additionally, the idea that I will not be able to access files I create should I decide to stop paying for the software, is completely insane. I want the ability to work on a file with the tools I used to make it, at any point in the future, regardless of whether or not I am still a customer. You need to offer me a feature freeze and the continued use of my software as of the date of my subscription termination.

The entire model is broken, and I will not participate. CS6 Master is fully functioned as far as I'm concerned, and I hope the creative industry follows suit to break this horrendous development. Ironically, Adobe knows this and has therefore waited until CC to make Premiere functional, and has some nice tools my artists will want for After Effects, to try and urge me into it.

I wish this site would take a more rational approach to the issue.

August 27, 2013 at 11:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

ModernDemagogue

I agree 100%.

August 28, 2013 at 7:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Razor

Well this "shitty/transparent"article just made my god damn day and I ended up with a full CC for £14.20 per month (WINNING) so I for one am VERY grateful for this article. Cheers dude:)

August 27, 2013 at 2:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kraig

How did you get the American pricing? It's £29.99 in the UK...

August 27, 2013 at 5:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Fresno Bob

It isn't American pricing... With the discount from owning CS6 it was like £17.99 per month which after tax is like £14.20 or something. £29.99 seems like just the normal price. Certainly isn't 40% off. So stoked with this man, it's mental that people argue it. If you don't want continuous updates inclusive of fee then stick with CS6. Otherwise why not pay £20-£30 per month? I mean, if you wanted to buy a boxed version of CS6 and then say buy the next full version of CS a couple years later, the cost would be WAY more. And again - if you don't want to pay that, just stick with CS6... Simples... x

August 27, 2013 at 9:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kraig

Re: "will seal the deal for you" - This will not seal the deal for many business owners like myself. Price may be an issue for casual users, educators, or hobbyists, but price is not an issue for business owners and the freelance pros who use it everyday. The HUGE issues are Intellectual Property and perpetual usage. Once you stop a CC subscription, for whatever reason, you cannot access or modify your source files. Backwards compatibly to CS6 is not a solution, because it means there was no point in using the new tools and features in CC to begin with. I wouldn't care if Adobe was offering 99% off. To resolve the situation, Adobe needs to let subscribers own a license of perpetual usage to a CC version after a year on subscription. There's no way I am going to be a slave to Adobe's subscription plan for my entire lifespan just so I can maintain access to my own source files and use their software. Creative software rental doesn't satisfy the law of Intellectual Property and the rights of perpetual access to your own copyrighted media property.

August 27, 2013 at 12:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Razor

i'm sorry to hear you are the only one here with a little of common sense. People is getting dumb for what big companies say we should buy and like. Until they don't offer a real solution for the cloud problem...CS6 is the way to go...

August 27, 2013 at 3:35PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

jesuan

Pirates be pissed...

August 27, 2013 at 9:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kraig

That was meant to be a general comment before you think that is a personal attack... Soz bro ;)

August 27, 2013 at 9:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kraig

This is actually a fair point. One that I personally am willing to deal with but a good point none the less.

August 27, 2013 at 9:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kraig

Adobe just told me I don't qualify for the discounted upgrade because I purchased CS6 at the educational price (read: the only affordable price for me). So, even thought I own CS6, I'm not a good enough customer since I didn't pay $1,800 for their suite. Thanks, Adobe. It's good to know you appreciate my business...

August 27, 2013 at 1:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

You're also not good at reading terms of agreement. Check them out before you make a purchase. Educational software is always subject to upgrade limitations.

August 27, 2013 at 2:26PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Steve

Shouldn't you be able to get the 40% off student discount instead then?

Actually it's 60% off for students now: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/buying-guide-education.html

August 27, 2013 at 3:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gabe

Steve: If you actually read the terms of agreement for every digital purchase you make, well then I'm very impressed. I, like most people, don't. I just thought that perhaps Adobe would appreciate my continued business, as I'm essentially locking myself in to their software indefinitely.

Gabe: Yeah, this is the route I eventually took. I no longer work at the university I was employed at when I first purchased CS6 months ago, but luckily my university email address is still active and can be used for educational discounts. Otherwise I simply wouldn't be able to afford this stuff. $50/mo isn't necessarily bad, but as someone who mostly makes films on my own dime, I just don't make enough money to pay for it. It'd be nice if they had a Production Premium Suite version of CC that costed less than the entire line of Adobe products. I don't need half of that stuff anyway.

August 27, 2013 at 6:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

This is odd coz this is how I managed to get my discount today... Hmm...

August 27, 2013 at 9:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kraig

No thanks Adobe, already cancelled my subs on principle once you end-of-lifed perpetual licenses.

Got CS6 Suite, and since you won't be making any more updates for it, I won't have to purchase any.

That's how your subscription service saves me money.

August 27, 2013 at 1:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

NoWayAdobe

Well said!!!! :)

August 27, 2013 at 3:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

jesuan

I use it. I love it. I've got it for $19.99/month for my second year of Creative Cloud membership. Have a second license at work. LOVE the new features! This is a steal.

August 27, 2013 at 4:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

So did I. It was too good of a deal to pass up despite the fact that I am not a fan of the new subscription model (I was already paying $10 for Adobe Story, so it was a no brainer). I still have CS6 and Sony Vegas 12 (which I still use for some projects) I am not thrilled with it once a rate hike goes in effect.

August 27, 2013 at 6:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Marc B

How'd you manage to get $19.99 for your second year as well? I was informed that after the first year, the price would be increased back up to the regular $50/mo, at which point I'll probably have to cancel.

August 28, 2013 at 1:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

since owning it seems to be the big issue. @ $50 a month it would take 40 months to pay the $2000 of a master suite. so would all of you who have a problem with this be willing after 3 years and 4 months to get a copy of CC. and if so, be aware we are not even in year 2 yet. or pay now $2000 and get updates for 3 years and then after that no more updates.

August 27, 2013 at 5:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Howard L Hughes

CS6 is the end of the road for me. I'm going FCPX.

August 27, 2013 at 7:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

moebius22

I think they have this deal all the time, I've seen it several times since last year.

August 27, 2013 at 8:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gareth

The biggest problem with CC is that once your subscription is over, you won't be able to access your old project files. Even if you changed the boat later and went with another program, you'd still need to subscribe again just to get the projects opened to check for example what SFX you used in it year earlier. This is unacceptable. Longer you subscribe, less likely you are going to be able to unsubscribe. With hook like this, time will tell if Adobe even bothers to upgrade their suite as much as they did before. I'm happy someone maid the petition aobut this. It should be shared on the main article too since the fact that lots of people are not happy with CC subscription model is as much news as the fact they have discounted the price. I believe this offer was originally ending on end of july but they already extended it once. Now it may not happen again and I've been thinking if I should order.. but instead I took time to write long email to adobe at adobecustomerservice@adobe.com. I couldn't find that email on their website, had to contact their support by other means first to get it.

August 27, 2013 at 10:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

ts

I understand what people are saying on both sides. I myself love everything about my CC subscription except that I have to be a lifetime customer. Literally, my ENTIRE LIFE (I am only 32) I have to pay Adobe just to be able to use my files??? This realization has been sinking in slowly as of late, and I am beginning to see why others are so angry. I think in terms of the rest of my career. 20 years worth of use @ $49.99 costs almost $12,000. To put that into perspective, I paid $1000 for Final Cut Studio 3 about 7 years ago.

Premiere CC is an awesome NLE (with strong CUDA card it is fast, fast, fast), but I am thinking of moving to Avid for my personal editing tasks. I can't stand the thought of paying anyone for an entire lifetime worth of creativity no matter how low the monthly cost. Not to mention that I cannot own any of the software in its current state, forcing the monthly payment in perpetuity. Simply saying "hey, just use Premiere CS6" is worthless to me. After being spoiled on CC I wouldn't want too. If I had to stick with Premiere CS6 I would look elsewhere.

My first year of CC is almost coming to an end and I am going to buy After Effects CS6 and Avid Media Composer 7 for all of my future work. I already own Photoshop, and most paid gigs I do are Avid or FCP 7 (can't remember ever being asked to cut on Premiere). Luckily, my Aunt is a professor at USC so I can get the MC 7 student teacher version for $249 (cheaper than FCP X!).

As much as I "think" I need all of the other programs I really end up only using 3-4 (premiere, AE, photoshop, muse). The only program I wish was sold is Adobe Muse for making websites. Paying $20 a month just to use that would be a total ripoff.

Last off, I am pretty sure this deal was available when I became a member last October.

August 27, 2013 at 11:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Miles

You are correct on all of your points Miles. I love the Adobe software, but the software itself is not the problem. The problem is Adobe's rental scheme. Creative software rental doesn’t satisfy the law of Intellectual Property and the rights of perpetual access to your own copyrighted media property. Adobe's big issue is a legal one, and I fully believe they will eventually get sued for it unless they can figure out a way to grant perpetual access to CC software in some way. They need a rent-to-own model not a rent-until-you-die model.

August 29, 2013 at 6:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Razor

I don't get the complaining. I switched to CC before they even decided to just sell that. I always upgraded the CS software suite anyway so this is actually cheaper. I also don't completely get the complaining about opening old versions. How many times have I actually opened very, very old versions of projects? Quite rarely. If a client wants an old project opened (For example, FCP7), they will have to pay for it. If I cancel the CC subscription someday and someone wants to open a certain file, I'll just buy the software back for a month and give the bill to the client. Everytime a project is completed, just export an XML and a master file, you'll be quite far.

This is about making money isn't it? If it's not, then I get the complaining a little more. This isn't really software to just make your own fun (eventhough I do that too). I also get it for the photography guys, if just using Photoshop there is no sense in going CC if you already have CS6.

Pirates will complain. Heavily. Check out some of the complaints in different pirateforums. They are mad pissed.

August 28, 2013 at 3:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

mikko löppönen

I heard the pirates already cracked it, like the next day.

August 28, 2013 at 7:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Nathan

I agree on this point. Can't imagine needing to go back and re-open so much old work that I would lose any sleep about paying a month of the single app charge to do so, even if I would. And if by some miracle I did, I'd charge whoever I was doing it for the cost of subscription. Which is what we do anyway when we bill clients, all software operating costs are part of the prices we charge for the work.

We've been through this with dozens of other bits of software, nothing new here. Old Quark files wouldn't open under newer versions, new versions of Microsoft apps broke links and code in older documents, some software versions we used to use wouldn't even launch under changes made in the OS upgrades. At one point I used to have older computers sitting around just to use certain documents on... it's cheaper by far to simply pay the cost of admission.

It IS amusing to see many who laughed at the lunacy of "iMovie Pro" now suddenly very glad it's still around as an option to turn to. Think what you'd pay per month to Adobe if Apple had dumped it entirely, and Avid gone belly-up.

August 29, 2013 at 4:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Zan Shin

You're off on an irrelevant tangent. It's not about being able to just open old files. Once you start creating projects in CC and cancel subscription for any reason you won't be able to open and modify ANY source files old or new. You won't have access to anything because you have no working software. At least when you buy a perpetual license to CS6 you always have working software.

August 30, 2013 at 5:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Razor

I signed up for this a few months ago and I think it is a good deal...for the first year. I don't think it has been emphasized enough in the article that these prices are for one year only.

August 30, 2013 at 2:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

So much negativity. You plaintiffs ever heard of non-destructive editing? It was a beautiful evolution in the creation of art. But note this: non-destructive editing can apply to video editing, technological innovation, and life, too. Criticism is healthy, but only if it's constructive.

Thanks for posting this article and everything else you do, nofilmschool.

September 3, 2013 at 7:56PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM