September 17, 2013

Blackmagic Announces Fixes for Mysterious Sensor Artifacts on Pocket Camera

Last month, the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera started arriving at excited customers' doorsteps. With an overwhelming sense of joy, many folks went out and shot some tests, and much to their dismay, the BMPCC produced some really strange sensor artifacts, chiefly the blatantly obvious black hole artifact that appears when the camera is pointed at a bright source of light. There have also been a few cases of mysterious white orbs that are caused by a sensor misreading of specular highlights. However, the Blackmagic team has been aware of these issues, and they've announced their solutions for getting rid of them:

Blackmagic's fixes for these sensor issues are twofold. Firstly, for the infamous black hole highlights, these will be fixed completely by simply installing the latest version of the firmware (v.1.42). However, the white orb issue (which has been reported by far fewer people) requires a recalibration of the sensor. If you've experienced the white orbs, contact your reseller and arrange for the recalibration.

Here's a quick video from John Brawley showing that these issues have been fixed:

And here's John's explanation of what to look for in the video:

I've shown both the un-calibrated camera and a calibrated camera. You'll notice that it's very difficult to pick much of a difference on the mirror ball's occasional hits from the dedo. Where you'll see the hard clipping most in the first clip with the 150W dedo that's in shot and you'll notice it actually has a hard and ugly edge and kind of "eats" into the foreground flower. In the calibrated camera, you notice that the 150 lamp is still clipped or blown out. You could even say it's an orb too, but there is detail in near clipping, and you can also make out more of the flare. There's also none of the circular hard edged clipping that eats into the flower in foreground you see in the previous example. I also did some small blow ups and a large scale up as well so you can really look at the hard clipping close.

Here's another video from Brawley showing how the latest 1.42 firmware for the BMPCC fixes black hole issues:

Clearly the guys at Blackmagic are on the right track. They're finding solutions almost as quickly as the problems are being reported. This kind of immediate response has really set Blackmagic apart from many of their competitors, and it's great to see a company really working hard to make their products as good as they can be, and in a timely manner.

What do you guys think? Have you experienced any of these issues with you Pocket cameras? Are you surprised by how quickly Blackmagic was able to fix them? Let us know in the comments!

Link: black holes and white orbs fixed with new firmware and sensor calibration -- BMCC.TV

Christ I just wish they'd just fix the issues with their first camera. Black sun, no usable audio functions ... and they are updating the new products!

September 17, 2013 at 8:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ant

Still very odd that they decide to say that this isn't a defect. It's like saying to a fat kid that they are big boned. At least you can lose weight if you are fat.

Granted... technically it may not be a defect of the hardware, but it's a result of poor calibration which they seemed reluctant to admit and also required a lot of people to return their cameras at a cost to the customer (although they did pay for sending it back to them so they at least half got it right). I just think they didn't do themselves any favours in the way they dealt with it to begin with. Anyway, as a positive at least they have sorted it :) Now if they could just sort out the "black sun" on my 2.5k they would be my favourites :) Sucks that they solved this on the Pocket camera "as soon as it was reported" (quotation marks intended for literal purposes and not to be sarcastic) but our 2.5k cameras are still awaiting the magic firmware. Unless of course I missed it?

September 17, 2013 at 8:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kraig

Re-read the article. Firmware is for all cameras.

September 18, 2013 at 9:15AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

The update only addressed the BMPCC's black dot. The update didn't fix the issue with the original BMCC.

https://vimeo.com/74465030 (1.4.2 update)

September 18, 2013 at 10:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Alex

My mistake, I misread the firmware update notes when I downloaded from Blackmagic. I'd suspect a fix for the Cinema Cameras can't be far behind if they've figured it out on the BMPCC.

September 18, 2013 at 10:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Firmware runs on all the cameras, but the fix only applies to the Pocket Camera.

September 18, 2013 at 10:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sean

I hate to be all negative down here in the comments, but how can you possibly say:

"Clearly the guys at Blackmagic are on the right track. They’re finding solutions almost as quickly as the problems are being reported. This kind of immediate response has really set Blackmagic apart from many of their competitors"

When they haven't fixed the Black sun issue in the original BMCC?

"They’re finding solutions almost as quickly as the problems are being reported."

Really? When was the black sun in BMCC reported? A year ago? Let's get some balance into this article.

Really??! When was the black sun in BMCC reported? A year ago? Let's get some balance into this article.

September 17, 2013 at 9:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ant

September 18, 2013 at 7:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Heyzeus

Exactly.

September 18, 2013 at 8:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dave

i love this site, but collectively: the editorial is crazy tolerant of just about anything BM does ... whitewashing all the major and minor f-ups that seem to plague this company. this company rolls out vaporware products, misses shipping and delivery by a country mile, and delivers (eventually) products that aren't ready for release.

September 17, 2013 at 10:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sjk

They gave us the first and only RAW capable camera that comes in under $3K, plus what they're offering with the PocketCC and ProductionCC. They're offering products that give filmmakers much higher standards of what filmmakers want (greater dynamic range, greater detail, RAW capabilities, ProRes recording) and considerably lower prices than larger competitors are currently prepared to offer.
So, maybe when someone else is selling another 2.5K RAW capable camera for $2K, or a 1080 ProRes capable (with RAW on the way) camera for $1K, and they're doing so without any issues with availability, with no bugs in their products, then we'll have a higher standard to hold BM accountable to - but for now they're in a category all on their own.
Otherwise, it's like telling Michael Phelps that his technique is flawed, even though he's already past halfway when the other competitors have yet to get in the pool.

September 18, 2013 at 12:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

The points you make would all be fine but the fact is BMD cannot actually get their products out the door in attainable numbers. And when they do there are serious issues. And as someone else said, no fixes/feature updates for a year on their first product is unprofessional.
Their camera products at least, have earned a poor reputation due to poor PR and lack of honesty with shipping info, etc. They need to get their act together or their camera days will be marked.

Ridiculous analogy relating to Phelps.

September 18, 2013 at 7:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Heyzeus

I'm not saying that they don't have faults. I'm saying, if you don't like it, then what alternative do you have? The ONLY alternative is to pay a marked up price for consistency and reliability from a competitor (and the RED Scarlet is the only competitor even close to their category). Pay more for quality control, or pay less for products that are clearly still working bugs out as they go along? Even then, people will find a way to bitch about the Scarlet being overpriced. People need to pick their poison, deal with it, and stop acting like they're entitled to an Arri Alexa for the price of a GoPro.

September 18, 2013 at 6:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

+1 bro!

Totally agree with you. BMCC has been a great tool on my past 4 shoots! If people can't deal with the little nuances of the BMCC, then shoot on a 7D or whatever - or pay 4 times more and use an Epic. We are sooooooo lucky in this generation of film makers to have such a cheap, beautiful looking option of the BMCC! people need to chill...

September 19, 2013 at 8:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Your comments are simply amazing. I want to be there when you get the same explanation when you buy a new Car that is Flawed in a Basic way. You are unbelievable. Should the camera stuff not work out, there should be a career for you in WA DC

September 20, 2013 at 9:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dheep'

Price is irrelevant to the quality-control issues. It's true that any camera may ultimately exhibit weird, obscure issues that couldn't realistically be caught before product release. However, the black-hole and white-orb issues should have been fixed or at least made known to potential buyers. The former problem was already well known with the BMCC, and the latter seems such a common problem with the first round of shipped BMPCs that it seems incredible it wasn't flagged during product testing.

September 18, 2013 at 8:27AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tzedekh

I agree that this article makes BM sound a little too rosy. I followed the BMPC "blooming" story closely and wasn't that impressed with the way BM handled the issue. Having said that, I think buyers have to realize that BM's products are cutting edge and well-priced. They are really still in beta when they are released. There's going to be a little risk when you purchase from the first (or second batch).

September 18, 2013 at 7:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tom

To me, Blackmagic is making progress. They are doing what they can do to fix issues. I'm happy to see that they have addressed these two issues. It shows that they are listening and they have responded. Much props to them.
I don't understand the ultra high expectations people have regarding this company. They are new to the camera industry and these are the first iterations of their cameras and people can't complain enough. Give these guys a fair chance.
Blackmagic is trying to provide high quality images at an affordable price to bring these tools to the masses. They're revolutionary in that sense. They've broken the traditional model of charging premiums for pro-quality images. I have much respect to them because they're giving more people the chance to use these tools to actualize their dreams and actually make things.

September 17, 2013 at 10:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Philip

In tune with the above comments, I think that nofilmschool.com occupies a particular niche that simply prioritizes being on good terms with the industry players, and part of the reader's discipline for scanning content here (content that is fundamentally re-blogged anyway), is to verify elsewhere.

September 17, 2013 at 11:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

What a beautiful picture BlackMagic cameras make! These videos make me look forward to the 4K camera! I do not know any camera at the price, and even somewhat higher, that is as good as these cameras. I am only wishing the picture could be graded in the camera and that they had 60 frames per second. But I know they don't have those right now to keep the price as low as it is.

I had left commenting on this web site for a week because of the negative vibe coming from most commenters. I can see in this thread it is still alive and well.

September 18, 2013 at 3:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

Keep taking the happy pills. Anyhow, isn't the 4K camera great? The one that came out in July, I mean. Oh, wait a minute...
I love the raw on the pocket cam. What's that? No raw yet? It MIGHT be coming out at some point but no word from Black Magic on when or even if it's definite?
But it's all luvvvvverrrlyyy. BM are GREATTTT!
Pass the prozac!

September 18, 2013 at 7:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Heyzeus

Looks like it's not me that needs some happy pills.

September 18, 2013 at 10:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

DigitalBolex has missed release dates. I just came from the DigitalBolex comment thread. There is no negativity over it missing release dates from the same commenters here that have negative vitriol over this camera missing release dates.

September 18, 2013 at 8:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

I have a pocket camera and have enjoyed that sinking feeling that comes from being a beta tester of their products, in fact my PC is going back today to be recalibrated. And while that is a pain in the backside I can forgive them for at least building stuff that nobody else would or does at those price points. They have done what Red did to the high end five years ago. Your next Sony or Canon would not have the features it has if they did'nt! Yes, I would love audio meters but there are work arounds and fundamentally their picture in film log looks fantastic.

September 18, 2013 at 3:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jim

I'm wondering if this level of negativity would ever be launched at the 5Diii for having to have patches to finally get its video picture to look almost as good as a GH3? I haven't seen that. I don't get this negativity over these excellent BM cameras. So they missed release dates. Every company has.

September 18, 2013 at 3:52AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

wow. is this the cult of apple that has brainwashed people into blindly defending manufacturers no matter how crappy they treat their customers ? first of all: this is supposed to be a forum, and i don't see how comments are scorned as "negativity" when they point out that a camera company has shipped product with bugs, repeatedly missed / ignored deadlines for fixes and ignored certain defects.

second: if BM was shipping cameras for beta testing --- instead of selling reliable equipment ready for prosumer use --- they should, as far as i'm concerned --- make that clear from the outset.

if i buy a car, or a refrigerator, or a smartphone, i don't want to hear three months into ownership that it's beta, and full of bugs. no one FORCES BM to announce release dates, or shipping schedules, or new products.

September 18, 2013 at 9:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sjk

September 18, 2013 at 1:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Heyzeus

sjk

Do you have issue with the Canon 5Diii needing patches?

September 18, 2013 at 8:10PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

So obvious now that Gene is a Black Magic rep. All his posts blindly defend them.

September 19, 2013 at 11:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Heyzeus

I thought Gene was a rep for Red. He states, emphatically and with great authority, Dragon is better than film, better than Alexa, better than anything else out there. Now he moonlights for BM.

September 19, 2013 at 12:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I think the GH3 is a fantastic camera.

September 19, 2013 at 9:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

Dollar for Dollar GoPro is the best camera available. What awesome technology! What a wonder it is! It's the extreme sport equivalent of the camera world!

September 19, 2013 at 11:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

SlamBom

I have never heard of these web sites. I have never commented on them. If someone named Gene has been commenting there it is someone else. I am not the only person named Gene.

The level of negativity in the comment threads of this web site needs to be addressed.

September 20, 2013 at 8:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

dixter

Why are you making things up about me? I'm going to ask you to try to be polite in addressing me. There is no reason for you to talk to me like this. I have not been rude to you or anyone else. You seem to have issue with some one else and are taking it out on me. It is fine to disagree with someone. But resorting to mud slinging because someone does not agree with you is low.

September 20, 2013 at 11:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

If you EVER buy a first generation camera (especially from a first-time manufacturer) and don't expect issues, you're insane. I knew never to buy a first-gen Sony product, for instance.

September 19, 2013 at 2:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Muh

@Muh
Funny you say that. I have a Sony EX1, F3 and an F5. Are they not all first-gen cameras? Have to say, I've been quite happy with them. Not to mention all the other products, TV's, DVD and Blu-ray players, I have from Sony.

September 19, 2013 at 3:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

@Gene, I know who you are and its not funny man. Grow up.

September 20, 2013 at 10:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Roman

Are you addressing me Roman?Tell me who you think I am.

September 20, 2013 at 11:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

You have very poor technical knowledge.

September 20, 2013 at 6:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

SlamBom

(Above comment meant for @Muh, not Dixter, who is correct).

September 20, 2013 at 6:59AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

SlamBom

+1.
I think some of the responders on here are junior high kids.

September 20, 2013 at 7:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

WranglePCvideos

SlamBom and Wrangler are working in tandem. Are they the same person?

September 20, 2013 at 8:36AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

@Gene, cmon man, I banned you from the Red User forums personally. Your hate won't wash here. NFS is a decent site, please leave people to keep it that way.

September 20, 2013 at 10:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Roman

Hi Roman

I don't even know what Red User is. And I don't know who you are. You are mistaken. And I am not hating whatsoever. I ask you to stop accusing me of these strange things. I don't know you. You don't know me.

September 20, 2013 at 11:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

Please explain how I am being indecent. You are making bizarre accusations.

September 20, 2013 at 11:22PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Roman,

I am going to ask you to STOP accusing me of hate. You do not know what you are doing.

September 20, 2013 at 11:27PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

SJK - absolutely ! You are so correct in what you say. Cult of Apple. Man that is good. And being called a Troll if you aren't part of the "Apology Brigade". It always totally amazes me to hear & see people do that.
It reminds me of the Suckers who walk out of a Bad Vegas show after paying $150.0 a seat ,falling all over themselves about how "Wonderful" it was because they are too embarrassed to admit they just threw their money away.

September 20, 2013 at 9:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dheep'

..good one. The GH3 has a shitty image, just too over sharpened and weird colors. I'm not going to even mention the rest of the issues (moire mess, info disappearing, no 4:2:2 hdmi out, bad evf, bad all-i implementation, bad construction/ hot shoe issue, etc,etc). The 5D3 is still an industry tool for a reason, it works, and it looks great, just not for pixel peeping adolescent trolls. I'm shooting about 3-4 (paid) projects during this month, 1 for the web/ 3 for TV, has anyone asked for a blackmagic or a gh3? No, although they are available. 90% of my clients or crews still ask for the 5D3 or the c300. Fact, and nothing you say, will change that.. Personally though I do prefer the image coming from the BMD cameras, just not bring the GH3 in this discussion, it just looks bad sensor wise. I'm not saying there aren't good things to say about the GH3, such as the articulated screen,1080p/60p and the lens adaptability, but it's not good enough, maybe GH5 will be better.. :)

September 18, 2013 at 9:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Michael

That's because everyone knows the 5D. Wait until the Blackmagic stuff starts really coming out, I'm sure that will change. I'd rather get the 5D personally because of the ergonomics, but I think the BM looks way better. To me there's no comparison.

September 19, 2013 at 2:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Muh

It says the orb issue is not as common? I think that's just because some people may not have reported. Everyone I know has the orb issue, plus it says on the box it shoots raw, they told us it would not when it ships, fine, people knew that. However when will it? This year? To say their on the right track is weird, they are not, is the camera cool? Yes. But let's not be silly, I shot for a weekend on it and its full of orby goodness, obviously their quality control is a on going issue, how's he 4k one going? Right on track? To say they learnt nothing about how to treat customers from camera 1 is more accurate.

September 18, 2013 at 9:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Garry

There are a a few, very famous, photography sites, whose forums are inundated with Trolls. While I believe, that, the BlackMagic Cameras (like almost all other cameras), have their fair-share of technical quirks and glitches, and, that, maybe, a few of them have not been addressed by them, at all, or well enough (exposure, sound monitoring, battery monitoring etc), most of the important features have been appropriately addressed. What a lot of people do not realize, is that, Black Magic Cameras are not DSLR video quality cameras. There are more in the league of cameras, that cost many, many times their price. Also, this is the first line-up by BlackMagic, and, hence, they do not have decades of experience, in cameras.
While all aspects of BlackMagic should be discussed, including their extremely lousy release dates, lets not start Trolling incessantly here. That defeats the very purpose of a good discussion.

September 18, 2013 at 9:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Sanveer

okay, you're right. if BM ignores defects, misses delivery dates, ships faulty goods .... i won't mention it any more.
it might ruin the happy vibe of our good discussion. pass the Kool-Aid ... or is it late being delivered ?

September 18, 2013 at 10:13AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sjk

also ... i don't know what you do for a living, but if i tried to pass content onto my clients that was out-of-focus, had audio drop-outs, and promised graphics in post-production, but at a later date .... well ... you figure out the rest.

September 18, 2013 at 10:14AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

sjk

If you have these kind of problems with the product you give to your customer why aren't you blaming yourself? You are to blame not a camera. No one holds a gun to you making you use this or that camera.

September 18, 2013 at 8:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

Gene I think you miss the point. What sjk is saying is that if they handed over a crappy product then they would expect a negative response from the client/customer as should Blackmagic if they provide paying customers with a substandard product.

September 18, 2013 at 8:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kraig

I am not missing anything. No one forces him to use any camera.

September 18, 2013 at 9:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

There are many happy customer of BM cameras. If he is having a bad experience it is possible it may be his fault.

September 18, 2013 at 9:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene is wrong. So wrong.

September 20, 2013 at 6:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

SlamBom

Please stop stalking me SlamBom.

September 20, 2013 at 8:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

Yup. I agree with you man. I would accept that if I handed over my work/product and it was substandard it would be sent right back and I would probably have to accept that I lost some trust there along the way. I own a 2.5k camera and I LOVE it. I really do and I love what Blackmagic are doing for the most part to revolutionise the industry. But the issue here isn't that they messed up. That's life... shit happens... the issue I get that people are having with Blackmagic is the neglect to accepting responsibility on CERTAIN issues. To basically make out that there is nothing wrong with the sensors when people started complaining about having to pay to return their cameras and to say that any sensor has this issue so they are not liable for covering the shipping was a massive balls up. I believe they are working harder now to make sure people are better compensated but they should have just come clean like they did regarding the release dates and just said "hey, we're sorry. Sensors are fine but we screwed up the calibration, send it back and we'll sort it out, really, we are sorry", then people might have been more forgiving. But seriously - did you guys even read the thread regarding that issue? It was a bit of a joke! And to defend them saying "but the price blah blah blah", that's a lame justification. If I had massive orbs in my footage it would not get used. Period. Thus rendering the economy false. People need to stop getting negativity confused with reality. Again, I really do love Blackmagic! But I get that people were pissed about paying to return their cameras because Blackmagic said "This effect is not deemed a defect in the camera, this is an inherent nature of CCD and CMOS sensors" as a way of avoiding responsibility for the shipping costs. What about people that ordered the thing from halfway across the world?

September 18, 2013 at 8:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kraig

September 20, 2013 at 10:55AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Roman

Some people just can not help but see the glass as half empty man don't engage them. It's not worth your time.

September 20, 2013 at 5:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gary

As many people know, BMD has a strong reputation for announcing products with great fanfare and hyberbole and then taking forever to ship - and then with bugs. Who needs to be some manufacturer's guinea pig?

I think BMD should make it clear to people that this camera, like their other cameras, only offers 12-13 stops of dynamic range when shooting in RAW, not when shooting in ProRes or DNxHD. They should say that plainly on their site's spec sheets.

I moved away from BMD I/O products and moved back to Matrox when I got tired of waiting for RGB output.

September 18, 2013 at 11:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

wsmith

Just wondering, not stating, but does ARRI state their Alexa ProRes dynamic range vs. its RAW? Or Canon state the difference in dynamic range between their RAW photos and what you get in video?

September 18, 2013 at 3:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Electronic gear can be tested. DxO, as an example, will test the resolution and the DR, among other things, of cameras and lenses. Some are, obviously, more scientific than others.

September 18, 2013 at 5:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

I know, but my comment was aimed @wsmith's demand that BMD should sort of make a statement on their cameras only being capable of 13 stops of DR when used in RAW, while all other camera companies (at least as far as I know) don't state such thing, they don't mark the difference between their RAW processing and a baked file. So I don't see why BMD should, it's an understatement that 13 stops of DR is in the best condition possible.

September 19, 2013 at 8:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I think the complaining is very justified in this instance. When you order a camera and it shows up almost a year later, with many quirks and in particular the black hole sun defect...then the company seems to move all its focus on the new line of 4K and pocket cams and simultaneously slashed the value of your investment by 1/3. Then you hear the VERY SAME DEFECT is fixed on the pocket but left unresolved on the original BMCC....sorry but that's simply unacceptable no matter which way you look at it.

September 18, 2013 at 7:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

September 18, 2013 at 8:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Dave

September 18, 2013 at 8:45PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Kraig

When I worked in the consumer electronics field, many retailers resorted to even worse tricks but, if caught, the idea was to make it up to the customer by offering a substantial discount on some other store product. The problem with BMD is that their camera customers may not need any of their other products. Take out the HyperDeck and it's a different market. Hypothetically, they could work with their distributors but it looks like they're shrugging their shoulders.
PS. Given their size, they probably don't have the R&D funds to update their 2.5K cam while simultaneously introducing the PC and the 4K units. That aspect of their marketing strategy a smart customer should understand. You buy a BMD and get an edge in performance but you need to furnish the accessories to make it fully functional by yourself. Of course, I don't see what edge the Pocket Cam has over its $1,000 brethren either. In that case, it's "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, we don't get fooled again".

September 19, 2013 at 12:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

Then, go buy anoher cam for under 1 k oder 2k, which cannot shoot in raw, which you cannot use for pro. quality work!

Every camera of blackmagic , which has the calibration issue, can be sent back and be re-calibrated! And that is a fact.

November 26, 2013 at 9:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

John

+3 Black spots and white orbs make the camera unusable for any professional. Try telling a client "Sorry but those highlights are too bright, I cant shoot that". Personally with those crop factors and ergonomics I wouldn't touch any of them but thats another story you've all heard and for some reason most don't seem to care about.

September 19, 2013 at 2:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

September 19, 2013 at 11:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Heyzeus

The a very cheap, small minded shot Heyzues.

September 18, 2013 at 8:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

NFS is ridiculously slow in reporting these updates

September 19, 2013 at 10:40AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Fresno Bob

September 19, 2013 at 11:11AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Heyzeus

Why would you bother writing that?! seriously? If they NFS put the info up after you got it somewhere else, just be happy with the fact you got the info first... What is with people being sooo negative on NFS! don't check the site if the information is too 'Slow' for you.

September 19, 2013 at 8:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Lloyd

Yeah Lloyd, I agree with you, there is way too much negativity in these comment threads. It is quick becoming a cesspool. The fun of coming to this web site is being killed.

September 20, 2013 at 11:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gene

One would imagine that a major camera company would test their cameras under all kinds of conditions before they release them to the public.

September 19, 2013 at 6:50PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Derek

Wow, that's even worse than Canon's friggin' red and white dot hot pixel problem...

September 19, 2013 at 7:31PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Cal

I hope that BM is taking note of this forums comments. I am still waiting on my pocket camera from BM and my hope is that the fixes will be applied to all cameras from now on, 'before' they are shipped to retailers.

September 19, 2013 at 11:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Peter

Yeah I bet this dude wouldn't be happy even if you hung him with a gold rope.

September 20, 2013 at 5:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Gary

How about 3 grand for a 4K BMCC?
Your videos are very poor, Muh, having seen your Vimeo channel. Very sad state of affairs.

September 20, 2013 at 7:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

SlamBom

What about 50p mode, this thing does not even do 4k.

September 20, 2013 at 8:23AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Diy

There has to be, at most, six individual people commenting on this post.

September 20, 2013 at 10:06AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Whatever you do, don't buy from HOT ROD CAMERAS. They couldn't return an email to save their lives. The hot refers to hot air because you ain't getting NO customer service.

September 23, 2013 at 10:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

JAY

There are members of the Digital Bolex team who write here and there always bad comments about the blackmagic cameras. They are so ridiculous. These blackmagic cameras are sold now for an amazing price with raw recording, and Digital Bolex hates that!

November 26, 2013 at 8:55AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM