October 6, 2013

The Swiss Army Knife of DSLR Stabilization: Edelkrone's Pocket Shot

Pocket ShotFor all of you DSLR run and gun filmmakers, Edelkrone's new camera stabilizer might be the solution that you've been looking for to shaky camera movement. With a cleverly creative design, the Pocket Shot goes from being a pocket-sized hunk of plastic, to a multi-tool with different stabilizing combinations that are made depending on how you unfold it. Boasting portability and versatility, the Pocket Shot is definitely worth taking a look at. Find out more after the jump.

Edelkrone is no stranger when it comes to developing portable film gear, and their Pocket Shot is no different. Weighing in at less than a pound (0.77lbs,) the stabilizer fits comfortably inside a pocket when folded, but extends to over 1.7 ft. when unfolded.

One of the strengths about the Pocket Shot, in my opinion, is the its design, which is conducive to many different shooting situations and stabilization needs. Essentially, you get to unfold the Pocket Shot and decide for yourself what stabilization solution you want based on your needs. You can unfold it and use it as a mini-stand, chest support, top handle, or a belt stick -- and those are just a few options. You can also mount equipment to the Pocket Shot, be it a sound recorder, light, mic, whatever you need.

Check out this quick video to see how it works:

Here, you can watch as Edelkrone CEO Kadir Köymen explains the Pocket Shot in more detail:

Made from Delrin, a light but strong plastic, the Pocket Shot supports weight using a constant friction multi-joint system, and handle a number of cameras. The official suggested load is 1.5lbs, but the max is 4lbs. For heavier cameras you can adjust the tensions with a hex key, however that system seems like it'd be temperamental to me -- and what if the screws strip?

Obviously, filmmakers shooting on big, heavy cameras, like those from Arri or RED, aren't going to be utilizing this, but those who work with any number of DSLRs, Blackmagic cameras, even a GoPro if you have a tripod mount, can consider using the Pocket Shot.

For $199.99 you can get your hands on it, but before you do, make sure that your camera and lenses, as well as all the accessories you want to use with it, fit within the weight limit. Considering the friction-based system, too much weight probably means that the joints with bend and unable to keep its position.

If you want more information on the Pocket Shot, head on over to Edelkrone's Pocket Shot website here.

What do you think about the Pocket Shot? Does it seem like a good stabilization solution for DSLR filmmakers? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Links:

[via CheesyCam]

2 shots of scotch and you won't have jittery footage anymore

October 6, 2013 at 10:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

boomaklak

I prefer the 12oz steadicam, myself.

October 6, 2013 at 11:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

"But I shoot with this hand."

October 7, 2013 at 11:44PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Charlie

IMO, units like these need some sort of a contour type pad to rest against the body. Or, alternatively, have the final, camera holding, joint made with a gimbal. Or a fluid head.

October 6, 2013 at 10:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

DLD

Didn't Michael Bay make a trilogy about this?

October 6, 2013 at 10:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

maghoxfr

still waiting for them to fix their Slider Plus from sticking.....why dont we do an article on the status of that?

October 6, 2013 at 11:34PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Tim

No kidding! They sent me a replacement gear, and the V2.0 STILL has terrible issues. This company is complete crap. Seriously.

October 7, 2013 at 5:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

still issues with the v2 and the new nylon belt? i might cancel my order!

October 7, 2013 at 6:38AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

javier

Really cheered for this brand, but unfortunately they've let me down numerous times. First I got the "original" pocket rig -NAB 2011 exhibit-, for $450 and then they released it completely changed and for 2/3 of the price. Then I got the focus pro follow focus, and it was defective. Fortunately, they got it replaced with the new design that reverses the gear for F mount lenses as well, but it's really badly made, and there is a lot of play in reverse mode. Then I went to NAB this year and checked all their new stuff, including this one. They're all "gimmicky", not suitable for serious use. I love their ideas, but construction wise they aren't up there for professional use -maybe apart from their modula rig-

October 7, 2013 at 1:18PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Michael

I've had a horrible experience. Avoid at all cost!

I cannot believe these guys get as much attention as they do.

October 8, 2013 at 11:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Josh

200 is far too much for this, and it really doesn't look all that great.

October 7, 2013 at 2:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Agreed Matt. I think this is totally overpriced given how cheap and simple it appears to be to manufacture. $99 would have been a much better price point in my opinion but one assumes that these companies do their research and probably prefer to sell less at much higher margins I guess.

October 7, 2013 at 5:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Darren Wolff

Agreed

October 7, 2013 at 4:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Blake

I think it's a cool design, I wish it was made of metal and the joints had teeth so they'd lock into place. I'd rather have it more difficult to set up but trust that it would stay that way vs. have an easy setup that was unusable.

October 7, 2013 at 4:05AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Aaron Grimes

No sample footage, and from the looks of it, half the combinations with the really light camcorder were shaking as it was.

Not going to pay $200 for that when for only twice that, you can get started on a proper rig, which you'll be able to upgrade over time.

October 7, 2013 at 4:34AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Sam

Hi Sam,

You are absolutely right! Demo video for the edelkrone PocketSHOT in use is on its way, it will be available very shortly.

Please feel free to contact us at info@edelkrone.com for further information.

Best Regards

edelkrone Team

October 12, 2013 at 4:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Wait- why is she wearing an XL shirt?

October 7, 2013 at 5:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

That sir, is a excellent question.

October 7, 2013 at 10:32AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Edgar

Hi Luke and Edgar,

Thank you for your comment regarding my "XL" shirt :)

I actually really like somewhat masculine t-shirts with logos for girls. I think they look really good when paired up with a pair of skinny jeans. That's why i chose to wear this shirt for the PocketSHOT introduction video :) However I appreciate your comment, and will not chose to wear it for future videos if it bothers anyone.

Cheers,

Simay Kasikci

October 12, 2013 at 4:38AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Besides the "top handle" mode, this thing is a glorified monopod. But design is enough this days to get featured a lot (as we see here), so while a new Zacuto or Gini rig may only spread around filmmaker blogs, this thingy will probably get featured on all these gearsluzmondourbanist sites, next to an article about someone who just quit his job, to become a digital-nomad... Not hating here btw, just saying this thing is aimed at a different market than I´m in...

October 7, 2013 at 5:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

SpartaBear

This won't work for most of the configurations. Why? Because there is no way to lock it down tight enough, no rosettes. Simple physics, put any force onto those joints and they will collapse. Cool design though, they just need to figure better locking system.

October 7, 2013 at 12:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

jess

Looks like a good concept that could be useful to have with a camera when your not in a position to lug a monopod/tripod around all day.

At a recommended weight of 0.7kg makes it harder to use. When you consider a 70d without a lens weighs 755g. Add on a lightweight lens and your already well above that. It doesn't recommended using it as a top hands for anything above 0.7kg which kind of defeats one of it's possible uses as a top handle for a dslr.

Still it is cheaper than anything by Zacuto...

October 7, 2013 at 10:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Zeb

Wait, is the Johnny Ives? That dude really has the "Apple Informertial" style pat down.

October 8, 2013 at 7:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jorge

Informercial, sorry.

October 8, 2013 at 7:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Jorge

Strange how NFS seem to only report on the same 2 or 3 gear manufacturers. Hmmm....

Edlekrone's name is mud in the filmmaking community at the moment (for abandoning SLIDER+ V1 users), so this won't have many takers.

October 8, 2013 at 10:54AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Fresno Bob

Hi Fresno,

Thank your feedback and comments. However we have honestly not abandoned any of our product owners. We have crated a trade-in program for all previous SliderPLUS v1 owners who chose to upgrade their Slider v1 to v2. (For further information, please see: http://support.edelkrone.com/customer/portal/articles/1246138-trade-in-f..., http://support.edelkrone.com/customer/portal/articles/1246131-trade-in-f... ) Furthermore, we have also resolved any issues relating to the previous version of the SliderPLUS.

We are always doing our best to provide innovative and clever products for the filmmaking industry. Moreover, we are gladly accepting and standing by our products and any issues relating to them. As edelkrone Support team, we are determined to continuously provide an accurate solution for any product issue as soon as we are informed about it.

Please feel free to contact us via info@edelkrone.com at any time , we would be glad to provide further information and service.

Best Regards,

edelkrone Team

October 16, 2013 at 7:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Has anyone ever bought anything from Edelkrone before!? I have! Avoid them at all cost! The follow focus that I bought falls apart immediately.

Originally, they would not accept my return. They sent me instructional videos on how to take it apart. They will not let me ship it back to it's original ship location. I have to send it to a different continent and label it differently to fool customs and it would cost me 300 bucks to ship it.

I'll use every opportunity I get to save anyone from this.

October 8, 2013 at 11:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Josh

Hi Josh,

We highly value your feedback regarding our products and services.

We wholeheartedly apologise for any inconvenience relating to your purchased edelkrone products. As a main company policy we are always standing by our products and any issues relating to them. We would be glad to provide assistance and resolve any issues.

All our products are designed, manufactured and shipped from our headquarters located in Turkey. Each country has its own custom clearance process and tax fee for packages arriving at the customs. The Turkish custom sometimes creates problems with packages arriving from abroad. Thus, we have created a return point in Czech Republic (Please see: http://www.edelkrone.com/warranty-return-policy) which is within the EU to help our customers send out their return/repair products without any inconvenience and/or high customs fee. We are also currently working hard to provide a much more convenient solution for US return/repair products.

For any further information, please feel free to contact our sales team via info@edelkrone.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best Regards

edelkrone Team

October 12, 2013 at 4:02AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

It looks doable, but $200 seems high. The fact that our currency continues to be devalued means higher and higher prices. I'd take a chance at $99, but not $199.

October 8, 2013 at 11:16AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

The Rising

Unlike most people, I actually bought this and took it on vacation with me. I have used it. It does exactly what I wanted it to do. It folds up nicely and fits in my jacket pocket. My blackmagic pocket camera fits in the other jacket pocket. It is a great combo for those of us that love to make quality video but don't want to take a bunch of gear on hikes or sightseeing.

Are you going to shoot a movie with it? NO. You aren't even going to shoot a game or wedding with it most likely. That's not what it is for. It is an ultra portable rig. I don't think it is fair to judge by how it looks if you haven't tried it.

I had no issues with the joints not holding. It seems very sturdy. I am happy with my purchase so far.

December 5, 2013 at 4:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM