November 19, 2013

Which LP-E6 Batteries Last Longer, Canon or Third-Party?

Back when I wrote about issues with Canon-brand batteries and Canon chargers, I mentioned that many third-party batteries, even if they have higher capacities, do not last quite as long as the genuine versions. Dave Dugdale of Learning DSLR Video wanted to find out if a third-party LP-E6 battery (in this case Watson), would last as long, or longer, than a genuine Canon version. Here are his results:

Even though it makes sense that the Canon might last longer since it's capacity is slightly higher, if the two were equal in performance, it shouldn't be a full 20 minutes longer -- and the Canon battery is a year old! This has been similar to my experience with third-party batteries, but I have not performed a scientific test. I think what it comes down to is that you should weigh the price vs. performance for what your usage may be. Many monitors that can run on LP-E6 batteries, like the SmallHD models, take two batteries, so it may actually be worth it to buy a number of cheap ones as you're going to be using two anyway. If you're using them in a DSLR, you may prefer to have the genuine Canon batteries so that your camera can stay on longer and you can switch batteries less.

When it comes to charging batteries, I think for most productions people are charging whenever they need to charge (whether fully depleted or not), so even if you wanted to follow the recommendation of either company, it just may not be feasible.

What have your experiences been like with third-party batteries? What are your charging habits for Lithium Ion like these?

Link: Canon vs Third Party Battery Test -- Learning DSLR Video

For the LP-E6, the Canon definitely lasts a little longer (in video, probably an extra 5-10%....in stills, usually its about 15% more). I use Wasabi Power and STK and have had good luck, they all still last quite some time.

Now, when I can buy 4 of the Wasabi/STK batteries for the price of one Canon battery, its a no-brainer. There is a reason I only own one OEM battery, and its the one that came with the camera

November 19, 2013 at 1:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Chris

Amen!!!

November 20, 2013 at 7:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I've had 4 batteries (1 canon, 3 off brand) as well as an off brand AC adapter for my Canon 7D. Two off brand batteries crapped out within a month. The other lasted 3 years and finally died. My AC adapter only lasted 4 months before it stopped working. My canon battery that I've had since I bought the camera is still ticking. Obviously, results will vary but I haven't had much luck with off brand LP-E6 batteries.

November 19, 2013 at 2:19PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Ezekiel Richter

I use one original LP-E8 and one third-party battery; the latter last not as long as the original, but is waaay cheaper – worth it.
I usually use them in camera till they're down; then recharge in the original canon recharger over night. (till they're full again) – no professional use as you might have expected...

November 19, 2013 at 2:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Pascal

Always buy name brand, always.

The extra cost is worth the piece of mind and the potential time lost on set when money is being spent.

November 19, 2013 at 2:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Could you post a link to where I can buy original Canon battteries

November 19, 2013 at 11:21PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

This is a bad comparison. First off- there are about a dozen companies making these batteries. My experience has been that the canon are more reliable, but I have a few non-canon that last LONGER in my small HD or in the camera. This includes some $10 cheapo's.

Second; brand new batteries need a few cycles to get their full capacity.

I charge Lithiom ion batteries anytime.

November 19, 2013 at 3:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I should mention I have about 15-20 batteries total (wedding work, 3 cameras).

November 19, 2013 at 3:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Also, you need to check the capacity, some OEMs are less than 1800mAh (LP-E6's capacity), I mistakenly bought a couple that were 1300mAh - still worked fine. My next set were 2100mAh which completely outperform the Canon originals (in my own unscientific estimation) for less than a third the price!

November 20, 2013 at 7:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I have 8 batteries of which 2 are from Canon. The other 6 are rated 2500mAh and last a lot longer than the Canon ones, they are also OEM and cost £15.99 a pair on eBay. I always buy those ones.

November 19, 2013 at 4:11PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

VillageBoi

@ villageboi: link! or it never happened!

November 19, 2013 at 6:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

mouce

Always on my watchlist - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320810982926?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

November 19, 2013 at 11:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

VillageBoi

And here I was thinking I had it all with my 2100mAh, will definitely check yours out.

November 20, 2013 at 7:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

They are really good, I've had some for a couple of years.

November 20, 2013 at 8:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

VillageBoi

I tend to just get dummy batteries and then run everything of V-Locks. So much simpler and far less battery swaps needed.

November 19, 2013 at 5:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Atlus

I've been using 3 Canon LP-E6 Batteries and 6 NoName batteries rated at a higher capacity for about a third of the price each. At first the noname ones where working as expected, about the same capacity as the canon ones or a little less. After some time, the battery indicator on the top display would differ from the lcd display, and batteries were dying on me without notice. Unreliable and absolutely not what I could work with.
I settled with 4 more Canon batteries and I've been using all the Canon batteries without a problem for the last two months.
If you can cope with battery dying while shooting go with the cheap ones. If you have to rely on you gear, don't take chances..

November 19, 2013 at 6:00PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Benjamin Roth

I agree about the V-Lock if you're serious it's the only way to go, I run a 5D, Swit lamp and Lilliput 7" monitor for about six hours plus also acts as a counter balance on a shoulder mount, only issue is now I need a stronger tripod as a my rig is so heavy.

I have a variety of no name LP-E6s and no issues, don't last as long as Canon but who cares they're a quarter of the price.

November 19, 2013 at 7:24PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Filthy Punt

That's hardly scientific. Two batteries? There have been many mass battery tests on non-camera batteries. Most of them show a wide varience in performance from brand-name batteries (not including the "premium" versions). The no-names always performed solidly, especially in relation to price.

The Canon batteries are consistently great, but they're so expensive. I'd rather have two $10 mid-life batts vs one $60 Canon. Just pay attetion to your meter and swap out when appropriate. It's not like these things are big and heavy.

November 19, 2013 at 8:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

I own two Mark II's and third party batteries don't even work half the time in my cameras. So Canon Batteries all the way.

November 20, 2013 at 1:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

The other thing with a V Lock is it's interchangeable between camera systems, and using a LanParte splitter can even be powered from the mains in an emergency.

November 20, 2013 at 5:00AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

Filthy Punt

I'm running a rental company and bought extra non genuine Canon for equipment such dp6.
I'm in China and so have access to plenty of brand but clearly nothing beats the original one.
One other difference is the accuracy of the battery levels.
With non Canon ones, half empty means 75 empty as they drop level very fast.
Yes keep Canon batteries and chargers together for the dslr.
Keep the other to power the accessories.
You don't want to rely for a event job on something which will not be online when the subject will be ready to picture.
Of course, architecture photographer may not be that picky..

November 20, 2013 at 10:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:21AM

hi villageBoi

Can you register those ones?
Can you load it with the original canon charging system?

Thanks in advance,