April 8, 2014

NAB Video: Kessler Demonstrates the UniDrive System, Upgrades to CineDrive and an iPad App

Eric Kessler is becoming a household name for quality camera motion products targeted for productions of all sizes, and this year the company is unveiling the budget-friendly UniDrive that comes in a 1-axis or 3-axis configuration. Also new this year is the advanced Kessler kOS iPad app for controlling the bigger, more expensive CineDrive system, as well as other improvements and add-ons. Click through to watch Ryan Koo's interview with Kessler Crane on the floor at NAB in Las Vegas.

Let us know what you think of Kessler's new products, and stay tuned to all the news from the Vegas floor by checking out our NAB master post.

...

NFS's coverage of NAB 2014 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel and Limelite. Subscribe to the No Film School YouTube channel for the latest video updates direct from NAB, as well as filmmaker interviews, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes features.

I'm actually pretty pumped about the single-axis Unidrive! I've been wanting something that can go back and forth on a slider during interviews, and with the basic controller I would have had to attend it and hit the "other way" button when the slider got to one end...now for about the same price there's a digital solution that can loop!

One question--why would someone want both the 3-axis Unidrive AND Parallax? Doesn't the 3-axis Unidrive do what Parallax is supposed to do?

April 8, 2014 at 9:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Cameron

I am wondering the same thing about the Parallax. I just got one in the other day but If I were to invest in the 1 axis Unidrive the cost of upgrading to a 3 axis Unidrive is about the same cost as the Parallax

April 8, 2014 at 11:03PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Bryan Morgan

Hey Bryan, in this video Mr. Kessler says that using Parallax with the 3-Axis Unidrive would be "redundant", so I think you're right, the 3-Axis Unidrive does what the 1-Axis Unidrive + Parallax would do, for close to the same price but with additional functionality from the 2 additional axis controls. https://vimeo.com/91488094

April 9, 2014 at 2:09PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Cameron

I think paralax with the single axis controller is a better investment in the long run - you then can use any weight of camera supported by the slider. With the 3-axis it's only 8lbs which is pretty low.

April 12, 2014 at 12:19AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Clayton Arnall

Really Awesome stuff! Kessler is solid

April 9, 2014 at 12:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

kyle

Does the new analog controller for cinedrive make the Revolution Head with the Oracle Controller obsolet? Was wondering if it would make more sense to invest in cinedrive rather than a Rev2 head + controller, if Cinedrive is getting an analog controller anyway.

April 10, 2014 at 5:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM