The Sony A7s may be small, but it is mighty! Since making its big debut at this year's NAB, we've seen some incredible test videos revealing exactly why this new full frame 4K camera deserves that little "s" at the end of its name -- picking up clean 4K in candlelight thanks to its unprecedented ISO range of 50 to 409,600. Sony has finally announced the pricing and availability for the A7s, so continue on for pricing information as well as when it'll be available.
The Sony A7s will be available in July for $2,500, which puts it in the same arena in terms of pricing of many DSLRs, a couple of members of the Blackmagic family, like their Cinema Camera and Production Camera 4K, as well as the highly anticipated Panasonic GH4 (if you bundle the body with the interface unit). Each camera in this price range has its own unique benefits to offer filmmakers on a budget, which might be why Sony decided to keep costs relatively low considering the competition.
But dat dynamic range tho.
In case you missed them before, here are a few noteworthy specs:
- Wide ISO sensitivity setting from 50 to 409,600 and unprecedented dynamic range
- World’s first full-frame sensor capable of full pixel read-out without pixel binning process for movie and 4K (QFHD: 3840 x 2160) HDMI video output
- S-Log2 Gamma
- Professional video functions including XAVC S Full HD recording at 50Mbps, time code and optional XLR audio inputs
- High ISO sensitivity range allows faster shutter speeds during low light shooting
- α Mount System compatible with a wide range of high quality lenses, including power zoom lens ideal for movie shooting
- Improved Fast Intelligent AF performance in light as low as EV-4
- Ultra compact, light-weight body for comfortable pro-style operation
What do you think of the A7s' price? Let us know in the comments.
- Sony Alpha a7S Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera -- Amazon
- Sony Alpha a7S Mirrorless Digital Camera -- B&H
- a7s Full Frame Mirrorless Camera -- Sony