June 24, 2014

Tutorial: Using 'Live Text Templates' to Manipulate After Effects Titles Directly in Premiere

Premiere Pro Live Text TemplatesA few days ago, Adobe released the Creative Cloud 2014 video applications, an update that included a few extremely welcomed new features throughout the entire range of video tools. Most notably, Premiere Pro and After Effects are becoming even more tightly integrated than they were previously, with new features in Premiere like masking and tracking of effects and Live Text Templates. These templates allow editors to manipulate text assets in multi-layer After Effects compositions without ever leaving Premiere Pro, something which should end the practice of incessant round-tripping between the two programs in order to make small adjustments. In a brand new Lynda tutorial, Chris Meyer shows us how exactly Live Text Templates work, and how to incorporate this exciting new feature into your editing workflow.

Here's the tutorial from Chris, which is a short excerpt from his Lynda course After Effects: Creative Cloud Updates:

Honestly, this is probably my favorite new feature in Premiere Pro 2014, especially considering the tremendous time-saving potential that it presents. Live Text Templates not only cater to editors who take on graphic design and visual effects for their productions, but also to editors with little or no GFX experience, but who need to make simple changes to lower thirds or complex title sequences without ever leaving Premiere Pro.

What do you guys think of live text templates? How would you incorporate this feature into your post-production workflow? Let us know down in the comments!

Link: After Effects: Creative Cloud Updates -- Lynda

[via PremiumBeat]

Thats awesome! This will save me lot of time :) Thanks Adobe for feature and thanks NoFilms for poiting it :)

June 24, 2014 at 9:50AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

DAW1d

This feature and many others in CC 2014 are great. But DAYUM this PP release is buggy. I'm losing lots of time trying to make it function as well as the previous version of PP CC -- error after error, failed encodes, randomly decides there's no CUDA when there is.

I'm looking forward to the day when Creative Cloud's functionality matches its aspirations.

June 24, 2014 at 10:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Shawn

Same here brother. Lots of bugs. And lots of crashing (well more than previous CC that is)

June 24, 2014 at 12:51PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Leo

I haven't had any bug. I have a mac pro and macbook pro with of course legal subcription cc and latest operanting system

July 2, 2014 at 9:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Gazpachete

Sheesh.. kinda glad I only UGed the Photoshop portion of CC2014. I'll wait for a bit until the bugs die down.

I've heard conflicting things. Can you install a CC2014 Premiere/AE instance separately from the older CC? That way can still keep things intact if you have to go back?

June 25, 2014 at 3:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I haven't had any bugs....and yes you can have a previous version of premiere pro cc...they will be separate the cc 2014 is a separate app....I've been using this to work natively with raw cdng from my 5dmk3 with ML Raw...and it's GREAT!!!! The master effect clips are my favorite feature from this release. Such a time saver when adding color

June 25, 2014 at 8:29AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kendrick

Keep the previous version if you upgrade. 2014 is buggy as hell. I restarted a new project on CC7 because the 2014 version crashes consistently for me on basic functions like overwrite edit. Looking forward to using the new features once the bugs get worked out.

June 25, 2014 at 11:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mark

New premier and speed grade are VERY slow!!! If you want make correction 4K video - do not use speed grade :-) The older version was much faster... Creative cloud installed 1 week ago ( CC 2014) very slow. Masks in premier very slow.. And so on..

June 26, 2014 at 2:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I can't get the video to play

June 27, 2014 at 4:47AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Much as the new text template feature is very welcome, this just brings Premiere/AE up to where FCP 7/Motion were several years ago. FCP X and Motion have always been able to do much, much more than this, also letting you change the font size/style/position and anything else in the entire comp (color, image in a drop zone, position, etc.) that you choose to publish. In FCP X, there's also no need to litter the project browser with an extra copy for every new title.

It's surprising it took this long to get here, and also disappointing that it's not better implemented.

June 28, 2014 at 9:52PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

To say that this finally brings Pr and Ae up to where FCP7 and motion is/were is rather short sighted. Perhaps this text feature is overdue, but if you already have an Ae comp on your timeline it will instantly update if you make changes in after effects. No need to reimport... This is just a time saver, and a very welcome one.

But I digress on my original point. Premiere is a huge improvement of what fcp7 is or was. Feel free to disagree and research it. Theres too many things to list so go get a de,o version and then decide if your statement was correct. AE is a completely different program than what motion was. If all you do is create lower thirds than maybe you dont take advantage of it. You should play around with it before trying to make fnatastical claims.

July 3, 2014 at 5:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I seriously lovve yoir blog.. Pleasant coolors & theme. Did you build this website
yourself? Please reply back as I'm trying to create my own website and would like to know where you got this from or exactly what the theme is named.
Thank you!

August 28, 2014 at 2:51AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I love the integration between After Effects with these templates. You should also be sure to check out all of the great Premiere templates that Motion Array is now offering, not to mention their After Effects templates.

August 4, 2016 at 12:00PM, Edited August 4, 12:09PM

I'm trying to use this function, but some words does not appear on video, like just 2 of 3 appear on video, can you help me to fix it?

July 25, 2017 at 3:02PM