June 19, 2014

The Updated Creative Cloud Video Apps Are Finally Here - Download Them Today!

CropperCapture[32]In the days leading up to NAB 2014, Adobe announced the features that would be included in the latest iteration on their popular Creative Cloud video applications. The new features are numerous, and some of them -- like After Effects features inside of Premiere Pro and the ability to transcode industry-standard DCPs in Media Encoder -- are incredibly welcome. Yesterday, after a few months of waiting, Adobe finally released the new versions of these programs to their subscribers, and they can all be downloaded now via the Creative Cloud desktop application.

Just as a reminder about all of the awesome new features in this release, I'll include all of the brief "first look" videos for each program down below. First up is Premiere Pro CC, which got quite a few welcome additions in this latest release. Here's a brief rundown of the most prominent new features from Al Mooney:

Then there's After Effects, which also received some exciting new features in this update. Here's a brief rundown of these new features:

SpeedGrade, although it didn't receive any major new features, did improve vastly on the direct linking technology between SpeedGrade and Premiere Pro, something which had been a bit frustrating since its original implementation. It also received a host of new usability features. Here's the brief rundown of the new features.

The other major announcement from this round of updates came from the Media Encoder team, which added the ability to create 2K Digital Cinema Projects (DCPs) directly inside of Media Encoder.

Prelude also received a host of usability enhancements for speeding up the process of ingesting, logging, and adding metadata to your footage in the Adobe pipeline. Most notably, the new version contains a unique visual grid system (seen below) that can be used to add pre-selected fields of metadata to any clip with a single click.

NAB5_PreludeCC

Lastly, Adobe's audio production application, Audition, also received a host of usability features aimed  at making the interface more functional for power users of the program. Here's the brief introduction to the new features that are now available in the most recent update.

There are a ton of new features in today's update, so if you're interested in reading more about them, check out our previous post about this update, and be sure to follow the links below for the complete rundown on each one in all of Adobe's video applications.

What do you guys think of the new features in Adobe's Creative Cloud applications? What features would you like to see implemented in future updates? Let us know down in the comments!

Links:

Doesn't this kind of defeat the point of CC? I was under the impression the subscription meant automatic updates; not new versions each year like the Creative Suites.

June 19, 2014 at 8:57PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Taylor Russ

It is an automatic update. This particular update is just being labeled as CC2014 for marketing or branding reasons, but nothing about the CC model has changed at all. They still release major updates multiple times a year.

But since most of these updates are major new feature additions rather than bug fixes or refinements of existing features, it warranted differentiating this update from the previous ones.

June 19, 2014 at 9:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Damon

It's kind of (REALLLLLLLLY) annoying that now I have two copies of each program now though...

June 19, 2014 at 9:17PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

Yeah, but some people may not want to upgrade for some reasons (plugin support etc.) The update not being automatic saves a lot of hassle in that regard. But there being 2 versions means people can test and be sure the new software works for all their stuff before moving to it, so they don't end up crippling their workflow.

June 20, 2014 at 5:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Olly Thompson

...but that's also the opposite of what Creative Cloud was supposed to be. It was supposed to be the end of having multiple versions of the applications.

June 20, 2014 at 8:53AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

I understand the need for versioning. I actually really appreciate it, because it means I can safely update in the middle of projects, since I have the previous version untouched in case all goes horribly wrong.

My only complaint is how they chose to name it. I know it's silly, but "Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014" annoys me. I would have preferred they just rename the old one to 2013 or something.

June 20, 2014 at 9:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

CS8?

June 20, 2014 at 5:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nah, Derik. I think they need to move to a new system.

CCEXTREME. CCAWESOME. CCULTIMATE.

June 21, 2014 at 1:10AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

uninstall cc then.

June 20, 2014 at 11:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Howard L Hughes

Think, THEN type.

June 20, 2014 at 1:05PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

Yes, it completely defeats the point of CC in my opinion. When they were defending the Creative Cloud subscription model against the initial uproar, Adobe specifically touted the benefits of never having to install major new versions.

I'm underwhelmed by the all the new features with their marketing push towards mobile. I don't think anyone here purchased professional grade video editing hardware so that they could do more work on their iPhone.

I've been tracking a number of bugs in Premiere Pro and Creative Cloud, some of which have finally been fixed with this major release. So in other words, we had to wait for a major release to address these bugs, which is exactly the same as the old CS release model. The only difference is that with CS you could keep your old version without having to keep paying if you were ready to upgrade. (That's coming from someone who has generally defended Adobe's decision to require a subscription.)

Running two versions side-by-side is an SSD devouring mess on my MacBook Pro. Identical icons? Come on. My settings did not copy over. So I have no choice until I can manually setup all the new apps. This is all being discussed here in the Adobe Forums: https://forums.adobe.com/message/6474281

June 20, 2014 at 8:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dax

Better to have two versions than a bunch of broken plugins.

June 19, 2014 at 11:28PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Stephen

Yeah. But the Adobe apps are storage hungry pigs...

June 20, 2014 at 1:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

mariano

I need a bigger HDD now :-(
PS Muse seems a bit flaky - anyone else find that?

June 20, 2014 at 3:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Rob

Total install is 12 gigs. I have projects that are way bigger. you saying you don't have 12 gigs of space on your computer?? SMH

June 20, 2014 at 11:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Howard L Hughes

Are you saying you store media on your boot drive? That is the issue here.

June 23, 2014 at 1:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Travis

Exactly! There will be always someone unhappy, but I think that is a great idea on their side - you can continue to work as you where before and slowly adapting to the new version.

June 20, 2014 at 8:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

k

I just updated mine, and had new programs installed. I now have two versions of each program, sometimes three because it installs 32 and 64 bit. Adobe should put in an uninstaller into their creative cloud manager. Also, what does this mean for compatibility? -_-

June 20, 2014 at 3:01AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Matt

The plugin format has been changed to HTML5, which means most of your plugins won't work in the new version until the plugin creators port them over. If you have plugins, you have to leave both versions installed. Very frustrating if you have limited space on your primary HD, like me.

June 20, 2014 at 7:12AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Thomas Barthle

Exactly, I use a relatively small SSD, so now I have zero space. Uninstalling them is such taking such a long time. This really isn't cool. I'm going to have to hold off on using all the "cool new features" until this plugin issue is solved. :'(

June 20, 2014 at 12:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Matt

Unless I missed it, CC still hasn't been optimised for the new Mac Pro. Whilst this continues there must be others like me who are moving back to Final Cut. At the very least, it would make an enormous amount of sense to announce a target date for when they will be optimised.

June 20, 2014 at 5:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Are you serious?? FCP X is a bunch of workarounds. I'm sure the CC software is optimised for Macs, Mac Pro will make good use of it.

Your forgetting back when most of us used FCP7 and prior before switching that it was years of Apple saying multiprocessor support was coming, this was coming, that was coming. And in all those software updates Apple never touched DVD Studio or Color. Apple are still doing the same thing to its Aperture users.

Apple make great hardware and a great OS but they do not make pro software anymore.

June 20, 2014 at 8:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

What workarounds? It's pretty freaking awesome these days. Ever since FCPX 10.1 I've been a convert. Give it another try and do a tutorial on the new version.

That being said, "Stephen Spielberg" is mistaken. Premier Pro CC 2014 has been updated to take advantage of the new Mac Pro. It is 2-4 times faster than Premier Pro CC 2013. After Effects is still lagging behind. Come on Adobe, you can do it!

June 20, 2014 at 11:31AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Kyle

CC works with open cl now and takes advantage of the AMD Firepro cards. According to Phil Hodgetts, FCPX is more optimized for the new mac pro and export times are much quicker in X still but that should be expected. People that still complain about FCPX really don't know that NLE, it has come a long way since Apple botched it's unveiling with software that was clearly not ready for primetime. I occasionally rent CC but mostly do my work at home on X since it's really fast and completely paid for. CC is way better for audio mixing though.

June 20, 2014 at 6:14PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

That complaint is obsolete. FCP X 10.1 is a fabulous NLE. And for $300, it's an absolute steal.

June 20, 2014 at 8:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Swissted

Thats great. Its good to know FCPX now lets you just send another editor the project file and as long as they already have the footage they can just open that file and start working. They way it was when it launched was an absolute joke with its project libraries and needing workarounds even just for project management.

Also glad audio integration with external audio software is fixed too.

For its market $300 is about right, maybe a bit high still. $199 would be fairer.

June 20, 2014 at 9:07PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Your problems show a clear lack of basic knowledge of the software, even from the 1.0 release. Sad how what used to be an industry populated with professionals now seems to be populated with trolls.

June 23, 2014 at 8:04PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Travis

Why was I wrong?? Each time I've looked at FCPX it still cant do basic industry standard tasks like work with other editors by sending them a project file.

Your problem is you want something to be something so bad you cant see the issues.

June 24, 2014 at 5:44AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I don't like any kind of forced subscriptions like Adobe CC offers.
I do not jump on that.

June 20, 2014 at 9:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom DoP

you have a cell phone i bet. i also bet you get more out of CC than your cell phone. I also bet you pay more for a cell phone than CC monthly.

June 20, 2014 at 11:35AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Howard L Hughes

That's well random.

June 20, 2014 at 8:30PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Keith

Its a good point. Cell phone is a subscription as is CC but CC can make you more money than it costs to maintain.

June 20, 2014 at 9:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Sure, I have one.
But I do only pay a flat rate around 12 US Dollars.

Anyhow: I don't think you can compare it to CC.

June 21, 2014 at 1:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom DoP

Anyone who is complaining about having multiple versions on their computer has never had a project delayed due to bugs with an unproven update. I used to have to wait and hear what problems everyone else ran into with new updates but now I can test the new software while still doing paid work on the old stuff.

Also, if you're running out of HDD space, buy a bigger hard drive. If we were in the middle of the hard drive shortage of 2011 caused by flooding in Thailand you might have a point., but its not. It's 2014 HDD are dirt cheap, SSD's aren't bad either just for boot purposes.

June 20, 2014 at 9:45AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I'm very impressed so far. Very solid.

June 20, 2014 at 10:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

RidingtheDragon

Most NLE's (depending on the what you're trying to accomplish) will have to incorporate some sort of workaround to get something done. It's just the nature of creative vision. There's not a button for everything. Also with Apple putting out OS upgrades faster than I think they need to, It always throws a wrench in to some part of the workflow.

June 20, 2014 at 10:42AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I heard a good quote somewhere "The oldest software on your computer should be your OS" Very wise but not always easy to stick to :)

June 20, 2014 at 10:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

You can't make anyone one happy now a days. i think by doing something like this where its an actual different install gives the ability down the line to give different versions for cheaper subscriptions or actually sell the older cc version like they do with cs6. now i can update and not worry about on going projects not working properly. this in my opinion is great. if you don't want cc on your computer then uninstall it.

June 20, 2014 at 11:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Howard L Hughes

You know they aren't going to do that, though. CS6 isn't cheaper than it was.

Doing a release like this is the same exact thing as releasing a new version of the CS model.

Granted, I'm using CC because it makes everything much more affordable and I used Behance even before it was incorporated into the CC package, so I like that integration, but CC was marketed as an end to versioning.

June 20, 2014 at 11:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

I agree but am sure glad they went this route instead. if cc 2014 does something crazy i can jump back into cc

June 20, 2014 at 11:37AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Howard L Hughes

Your changes that were made in CC2014 won't be there then, since you have to convert your files upon opening them in CC2014.

June 20, 2014 at 12:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

That is an odd thing to say. Why does "happy" enter into the discussion? This is software you pay for, if new versions come out that are unstable, people will have work related issues.

"Now i can update and not worry about on going projects not working properly"

Really? I updated to 2014, it boned a project file. Also I updated Media Encoder and there is no roll back. Sorry that I'm not "happy" about that.

June 21, 2014 at 1:59PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mike

This is an example of how the new "agile" software development workflow is flawed. It's "release now, fix later"...and to the consumer's detriment. If I can't trust updates to be solid, just hold them off and go back to the CS model and quit trying to sustain the subscription plan. You can't have both, Adobe.

June 20, 2014 at 11:30AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Pat

+100000

We will avoid CC as long as it takes and hope Adobe will offer pernanent licenses again.
This "renting model" is the most annoying and the most stupid idea someone could have in a software company.

If he/she worked in my company, he would get fired.

June 20, 2014 at 1:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom DoP

This update is terrible. Lots of fancy whiz-bang, with less stability is never a good thing

June 21, 2014 at 1:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mike

If you stop the subscription can you still open your project files?

June 20, 2014 at 12:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ron

HAHAHAHA LOL.

No, you can't.

June 20, 2014 at 12:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom DoP

Wow that really sucks big time... oh well I'll stick with CS6 then.

June 20, 2014 at 7:29PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

ron

*looks at all the negative chatter*

After Effects FINALLY has preview monitor support, rendering whatever frame you are in your comp to the preview monitor. You can be zoomed in 800x doing something tricky while it's just nice and full framed on the preview monitor so you can always see 'the big picture'. Love it! :D ...Also shoulda happened like four versions ago...

June 20, 2014 at 2:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Ashley Ashes

Right?! Crazy overdue.

June 20, 2014 at 5:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I'm a bit annoyed that adobe added a feature like Master Clip Effects in Premiere but didn't think to allow you to change the name of your master clip and have that trickle down to your edits in the timeline. Or even be able to change a label color and have that link with all associated clips. I know many editors including myself that have been requesting this through their proper channels for years now. That's just normal behavior in Avid and FCP but somehow always overlooked in PP updates.

June 20, 2014 at 9:47PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Rube

...or reordering of video and audio tracks. This is a MUST HAVE, Adobe!
Have you ever worked on a clip having 60 videotracks?!
Or what about grouping video tracks?!

Adobe, PP should be melted together with AE. Take AE and put the core features of PP in there.

June 21, 2014 at 6:22AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Tom DoP

What in the world do you need 60 video tracks for??

June 23, 2014 at 8:04AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Must be a lot of lower thirds and animated arrows!

June 27, 2014 at 2:49AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I've been requesting that feature for years. You can't delete a master clip without it removing instances of that clip from any sequences it was used in. Yet, if you rename a master clip, the instances don't change. So they're linked in a way that is annoying, but not in a way that is useful.

Master clip effects is a step in the right direction, but they need to do a complete overhaul on clip organization.

June 23, 2014 at 8:02PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dax

Loving the new updates. Not loving that the update reset my GPU fix - Premiere isn't recognizing any of my CUDA cores. Anyone else having this issue?

June 21, 2014 at 10:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Nick Armenta

Yep.

June 22, 2014 at 7:39PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mike

I did the updates and would advise others not to do so. PP CC 2014 is crashtastic and swallows ram like a fat kid at a pie eating contest. Media Encoder 2014 is useless. All rendering now uses CPU only.

IMO this update wasn't ready to be delivered. I was able to get PP CC 7.2 back but not Media Encoder. So I'm limited to direct export from PP CC.

June 21, 2014 at 1:53PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mike

I think that depends on the machine you're using. I'm on a Mac and it works fine. ME uses my GPU (OpenCL) and PP is smooth as butter.

June 21, 2014 at 4:32PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Dave

I'm on a mac, my GPU is ignored, PP is clunky and Media Encoder doesn't work at all.

June 22, 2014 at 7:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM