April 21, 2014

Adobe CC Updates Put Some After Effects in Premiere Pro (& Vice-Versa)

Despite the controversy surrounding Adobe's switch to a subscription-based model, its Creative Cloud line of products has seen several useful updates for users. For instance, Adobe has added native RED DRAGON & CinemaDNG RAW support via GPU acceleration, plus improved round-tripping with its color correction software SpeedGrade. This year at NAB, Adobe pushed forward with the addition of some newly native abilities, in addition to the dynamic linking its suite is already known for (i.e., no switch from PP to AE needed for certain effects, and vice-versa). Check below for our NAB 2014 interview with Adobe and a video recap of the newest iteration of CC features.

If you missed our previous coverage of Adobe's NAB announcements (or just want them purely in video form), here are the updates straight from Adobe.

Links: Adobe NAB 2014

...

NFS's coverage of NAB 2014 is brought to you by My RØDE Reel and Limelite. Subscribe to the No Film School YouTube channel for the latest video updates direct from NAB, as well as filmmaker interviews, tutorials, and behind-the-scenes features.

It would be a lot easier if Adobe just added the better editing tools and transitions from Premiere into After Effects and made it all one app. They could call it Premiere Effects. :)

April 21, 2014 at 6:06PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Razor

Not enough RAM in the world to do this....

April 21, 2014 at 6:38PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

TOM

very possible. It can be mode based like resolve. Manage>Edit>Color>Effects>Render All in one application.

April 21, 2014 at 7:12PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

I don't understand why audio and bare video files wont play in realtime with a spacebar hit like in Premiere.

April 22, 2014 at 5:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Aaron

Its not a flaw in After Effects its designed that way for the job it does. Same for Premiere. They both have different objectives and need different architecture.

April 23, 2014 at 9:40PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Of course you need audio in both. Synching to audio is a major part of what's done daily with both products, and is a ridiculous oversight in after effects. Its the most time wasting oversight imaginable.

April 25, 2014 at 5:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

David

Further - it is quite capable of doing it as it does when you run the puppet tool real-time key framing.... audio is easy in the scheme of what its doing.

April 25, 2014 at 5:42PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

David

Of course it should... This is whats been needed for 20 years. render the section that's not real time and move on, the bits that are realtime stay that way. It should never get as slow and budget sucking as current After effects just because the mercury engine hast been implemented. We played catch up when Mercury came. This whole GPU thing was done years ago in products like Liquid. ( in HD as well - but prior to 4k ). After effects REALLY needs some speed enhancements and it needs traditional users to develop with it and stop shackling the product to be what it was.

April 25, 2014 at 5:48PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

David

Does CinemaDNG means it would support Magic Lantern RAW? :) Super anxious!

April 21, 2014 at 6:25PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Juan Jose

Magic Lantern RAW doesn't use Cinema DNG...they use their own RAW encoder. If you mean after their stuff is transcoded to cDNG, then yes, I would imagine that would work fine.

Although I'm not sure if any of the RAW functionality is baked in /lost in that transcode...

April 21, 2014 at 6:43PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

sean

This will convert the MLV into cinema DNG files which CS6 and CC are both able to use with out conversion to Tif or Jpg.
Windows- https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_1_4_wi...
Mac - https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads/MlRawViewer_1_1_4_ma...

April 21, 2014 at 8:41PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Seb Torres

Wow, Thanks I had an older version of MiRawViewer. Lemme try it ;)

April 22, 2014 at 3:39AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Juan Jose

Seb, One question. After installing it, I'm unable to export, do I need to install something or am I missing something? Thanks in advanced (Mac user)

April 22, 2014 at 4:28AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Juan Jose

I can't speak for Mac but in Windows you drop the mlv onto the app icon. Select either mov or dng by clicking the option on the left side. Then the red circle. It will export the frames and audio to a separate folder.
Premiere won't let you select image sequence when opening it. That's fine just select the first frame and it loads it as a sequence.
You don't have camera raw options. But it's a great work flow for editing fast from the camera then color grading once you've finished editing. I've found its far faster.

April 22, 2014 at 8:03AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Seb Torres

Short answer - no. Everything is green.

April 21, 2014 at 7:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

marklondon

After you convert the magic lantern files to Cinema DNG it will work in After Effects, but not Premiere Pro. In PP it casts a weird hue on the colors.

April 21, 2014 at 9:08PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

im not getting this color cast you are referring to. it just looks like a flat raw image that isnt color graded yet

April 21, 2014 at 9:33PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Seb Torres

Yay! They fixed it! Never mind what I said then...

April 25, 2014 at 7:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

April 21, 2014 at 9:37PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Seb Torres

Is this ML cDNG with the latest Premiere Pro update? If so it seems they've sorted the support, which is brilliant!

April 22, 2014 at 6:06AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Though, having said that, to me the sky looks a little magenta, is that just the light / time of day?

April 22, 2014 at 6:08AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

This is the color corrected final look. I'm not sure why it looks Magenta in that image because it doesn't in camera raw

April 22, 2014 at 7:57AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Seb Torres

It's magenta because the highlights are clipped and you pulled them down in acr.. Now the pure whites arent whit anymore!

May 5, 2014 at 9:55PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

David

From what I understand (I'm going to try it this weekend)…you can likely work best if you convert to CinemaDNG…bring it into Davinci Resolve..and use that as your workflow anchor, export working files out in xml, go to Premier or FCPX, and round trip it back when done editing, to do the color correction/grading in Resolve.

April 29, 2014 at 6:58PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

CC

when will this be released?

April 21, 2014 at 9:36PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Howard L Hughes

Someone please let us know!

April 22, 2014 at 10:07AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jack

They can't let you know because these moronic gen Y latte sipping ponces are too busy stood in front of branding boards lettings the press take vain photographs of them.....

June 19, 2014 at 11:20AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Andie Reid

Wait, did something changes since the 4/2 article? I feel I'm missing something....

April 22, 2014 at 12:24AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mike Hendzel

Oh wait, I see. You added a video.. Sorry NFS, that was a bit confusing. Thanks for posting....

April 22, 2014 at 12:26AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Mike Hendzel

This whole website is schite.

June 19, 2014 at 11:18AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Andie Reid

Sounds great but the whole CC model irks me profoundly. Out of interest is anyone here still holding out on on Adobe CS? (Is this feasible even for a pro?)

April 22, 2014 at 7:43AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jason Scrolsch

Quite happily yes

April 22, 2014 at 9:46AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Matt

Yes, and yes. Unless there's something in CC that your client needs/wants for the job, CS still does everything you need to finish a project.

April 22, 2014 at 12:49PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Robert

Holding out and hoping for others (Apple? Resolve?) to put pressure on Adobe to make some kind of change to allow a pay for version option - Not much hope - I keep reading people giving into being locked in chains or justifying why they accept said chains...

I did try CC and it was a nightmare to cancel. First they make you jump through hoops to find out how to cancel - then they beg you and make you better contract offers not to cancel...

April 23, 2014 at 12:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jer

Thanks all. I'm maybe not the only one holding out for a bit then—I am though flabbergasted no other companies have risen to the challenge to take advantage of people like myself who will spend but prefer perpetual licences. I would have thought at least a single challenger would have risen... anyhoo..

April 23, 2014 at 11:33AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

Jason Scrolsch

Mr. Scrolsch, I don't know where you've been but prior to the advent of Adobe's subscription plans, perpetual licensing was the only possibility. At least for legit usage.

When any NLE and effects developer wants to "rise" to the juggernaut called Adobe then by all means let the rising up begin!

Don't hold your breath on that. What I suspect we'll see instead, however, is a rising up of the subscription based cloud business model.

Thus far I too have resisted Adobe's cloud, by the way. I've been looking at the alternative NLEs. For my work, I already know I can live without Adobe. It's just a matter of choosing. And once chosen I'd prefer not to change again for the reset of my life... But alas, I fear the subscription model is close upon us for all apps that we currently run locally.

Ironically, I have to admit that if Adobe allowed my entire suite's installation to the cloud, rather than locally, I'd be far more receptive to the subscription model. That would be a real worthwhile benefit, to me. I could just initiate an instance of an Adobe CC server, begin a project with the source files stored locally, if I wish or upload proxy files for collaboration and review. I'd be willing to consider purchasing an "instance" that would last as long as I need it and could be reactivated anytime in the future.

Thus far I too have resisted Adobe's cloud, by the way.

Here's a petition on change.org that is close to the target 50,000 signatures.

I think if Adobe wants the cloud model, then Adobe should really get with it and do it for real. Just charge me for instances I use. That model works for the me the best. But I doubt Adobe would consider it because they are desperate for accurate revenue forecasts.

I assume Adobe is planning to eventually do what I suggest and move completely into the cloud. And the other developers are sure to follow. That will be good for competition.

April 25, 2014 at 2:23PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

wsmith

I'm resisting the move to CC.
So far nothing I can't live without. I do notice that Adobe keeps perpetually offering the "deals" which to me seems to indicate they don't have the mass acceptance and migration to the creative cloud RENTAL model.

I'm hoping if enough people vote with their wallets, they may relent. MS has been wanting to do this and so far, people voted fully committing to Office as a rental item, hoping the same happens to Adobe.

And, maybe during this time, another suite may be developed and become a true challenger to Adobe.

That's my $0.02.
C

April 29, 2014 at 7:01PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

CC

I think resisting Adobe is pretty easy since they haven't done anything innovative since CS2. There's a few other companies out there that are looking good, as well.

April 30, 2014 at 6:54PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

do the updates for premiere support bmpcc raw yet?

April 29, 2014 at 5:13PM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM

LINK TO DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE FOR DNG???????????????????

June 19, 2014 at 11:17AM, Edited September 4, 11:56AM