September 4, 2014

Welcome to the New No Film School!

Today, we are relaunching No Film School as the leading worldwide community of filmmakers, video producers, and independent creatives. The new No Film School is where filmmakers can learn from each other — “no film school” required.

I originally launched this site as my personal blog. 70 million pageviews later, it can be so much more. So the new No Film School is no longer “just” a blog, but a full-fledged community site.

This relaunch is also a restatement of why I started this site in the first place. Why is it called "no film school?” Because not everyone can go to film school. We believe filmmakers around the world should have access to ongoing film education and opportunities — not just those who live near, or can afford, film school. Thus, with this new site we strive to create the kind of global community that can help filmmakers, video producers, and creatives learn from each other. That’s why our focus is on building the best community we can. We hope you’ll join us.

Quick Start

1. Hit the Login button at the top right and fill out your profile. Claim your URL now!
  2. Review our new Community Guidelines.
  3. Check out our topics — over 4,000 articles are now categorized for whatever field in film you’re interested in.
  4. Browse the discussions, and ask and answer questions.

Site Tour

Profiles

No Film School profile

Everyone gets a profile page to call home now. You can prominently share a video/reel of yours, add links to your own sites and social networks, enter your bio, and track your latest activity on the site. We are now a real names site. “NFS Score” is something we’re launching in beta — see our Community Guidelines for more details on the point system.

Boards

No Film School boards

No Film School is now a full-fledged community site. The Boards are where you can start discussions and ask questions. Questions are specifically designed for filmmakers to help each other — you get points when you answer questions, and everything from posts to replies to answers are subject to upvoting, ala reddit, which should filter the best content and answers to the top (unlike traditional forums where threads run to 32 pages long and the answer you’re looking for is buried on page 19). This will go through several iterations as we tweak the algorithms, but we’re laying the foundation for something that goes way beyond what any other dedicated filmmaking forum offers.

Homepage

No Film School home page

We’re still doing some work on the new homepage to give us several different takes on the featured content stage. We’ll have a few different ways to slice the stage to keep everything fresh, and then further down is the reverse-chronological blog order everyone is familiar with, with posts from the boards right there on the homepage. This is a page we’ll iterate on in the months and years to come to give us more ways to shuffle the content (two current examples: “In Case You Missed It” at the bottom, and a featured story in the header).

Search

No Film School Search typeahead

For years, our search and archives were broken; now we have a global search bar that brings in all the new content types and over 4,000 articles from the archives, and starts showing results as soon as you start typing. We still have some work to do on the search results pages — for now the key is to hit “Enter” to see all results, and then use the “View All” link next to the content type you’re looking for.

Topics

No Film School topics

Everything is now sorted into organized Topics. The organizing principle of the new site is that, instead of creating an unmanageable number of sub-forums, we have broader categories (e.g. “Editing & Post-Production”) and then within each of those we use tags to offer more granular exploration (e.g. “Premiere Pro”). These topics and tags apply not only to articles, but also to discussions and questions, and you can filter through anything with them. Note we have over 5,000 tags to sort through from the old site, so give us a bit of time to get those straightened out!

Articles

No Film School article layout

Finally, most people think the front door of a website is the homepage, but for most visitors it’s really the article page. Our new article page is clean, focused, and puts the focus on the text and videos — there isn’t even a sidebar to distract you from the content itself. Scroll all the way down to the threaded comments and you’ll find our custom “you might like” engine surfaces articles as well as related posts from the Boards.

There Will Be Bugs

“A movie is never finished, only abandoned.” Similarly, a website is never finished — only launched in beta. We’ve been testing the site privately for the past week, but there will be 99 problems, and a bug is one — so please let us know on the Boards for This Site if you’re having problems. And if you can’t even get to that point because of registration issues, email us or tweet at us. In general we encourage active discussion about what is and what isn’t working — that’s why there’s a dedicated board for it! — and we’ll be looking to you for guidance about what new features will be most helpful going forward. See this sticky thread for more. The boards will also be where we share features that are already on our roadmap, as there are a lot of them (like responsive break points for mobile devices, for example — the site was built on a responsive framework, so that is coming soon).

Thanks

I’d like to thank J, David, Cassidy, Molly, and Matthew at Athletics for their brilliant design work, as well as Jason and Rich at Enabled for their exceptional development of the site. I started searching for designers nearly two years ago, so this was a long road — but it was worth the search in order to find the right collaborators (as any filmmaker knows). I could not be happier about where we are today, and where we’re heading tomorrow.

No Film School design 2010-2014
No Film School, 2010-2014.

I’d also like to thank the old site for holding it together for so long — at last count we were running 38 plugins inside of a precarious and overtaxed Wordpress install. It’s amazing the old site lasted this long, considering I slapped the design together in a week, on my laptop, almost five years ago. For posterity’s sake, I'm adding an image of what the old site looked like...

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Finally, I’d like to thank all of you for being valuable members of our community… even when there were no community features. We’ve worked long and hard to build something that can make a real difference in all of our creative endeavors, but the platform is only as helpful as we make it for each other. So please join us, and let us know your thoughts!

Stoked.

September 4, 2014 at 1:48PM, Edited September 4, 1:48PM

Micah Van Hove
Writer
director, producer, dp

No Film School is going bigger and better!

September 4, 2014 at 1:53PM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

It's times like these I thank the feline internet gods for their blessings.

September 4, 2014 at 1:56PM

Benjamin Dewhurst
Writer
writer/director

Congratulations on the launch! It's obvious a ton of work went into this, and thank you SO MUCH for integrating all the old content into the new site and the search engine. One minor point of UX, you might want to flush the word "Search" to the right of the text field rather than having it appear right next to "No Film School." Presently, even with the color change, it reads awkwardly.

September 4, 2014 at 2:30PM

Yeah - to any new user, the name of the site would appear to be "No Film School Search"... all you really need to do is justify it to the right so it sits next to the search icon.

Other than that minor quibble, GREAT WORK! I look forward to the big and bright future the site has going for it!

September 5, 2014 at 10:52AM

NFS is sexy as hell. #heycutie

September 4, 2014 at 2:55PM

V Renée
Nights & Weekends Editor
Writer/Director

Wow! Gorgeous. Very bootstrap.

September 4, 2014 at 3:15PM

Okay... after my first comment, the layout broke good. Someone has to open a ticket to the devs! Just for fun.

The search bar went all over the screen and the comment section appeared mixed with the content. Renée's hashtag "#heycutie" was over the "There will be bugs". I refreshed the page and... gone! Back to normal as if nothing had happened.

I liked that. It's interacting with emotion. :)

September 4, 2014 at 3:30PM

Killer design. I dig it.

September 4, 2014 at 3:44PM

Frank

This is so exciting. Love the new features. Can't wait to see where this goes.

September 4, 2014 at 3:45PM

David S.

Thank you NFS! Looking forward to using the new tools!

September 4, 2014 at 3:53PM

James Kwan
Cinematographer

Very nice! Love the site...

September 4, 2014 at 4:02PM, Edited September 4, 4:02PM

Andy Lake
Director/Producer

It's been a long, long time coming but even though I've only poked around a little, so far so good and well worth the wait. Awesome job guys. Looking forward to more great articles and good discussion only now without those tiresome, anonymous trolls! :)

September 4, 2014 at 4:46PM

Neil Every
Writer/Director/Story Consultant

Lots of great new features here. I'm definitely a huge fan of the comment-voting system and the profiles. Thanks for taking the time to do it right.

September 4, 2014 at 5:00PM, Edited September 4, 5:00PM

Derik Savage
Producer / Director / Editor / Camera / Colorist / Audio Engineer / Sales / Marketing

This came at a good time. Looking forward to the constructive comments from real people.

September 4, 2014 at 5:07PM

Glenn Taylor
for pure fun

Looks great guys, I've been an avid reader since the beginning (no pun intended) - excited to see where it goes from here!

September 4, 2014 at 5:19PM

Alex Enman
Filmist/Colormaker

Nice new design, NFS. Love it.

September 4, 2014 at 5:20PM

Very nice indeed. Issues I have right now is that nothing happens when I try to upload a pic for my profile and I can't login on Safari. Both get me stuck in a loop och page reload.

September 4, 2014 at 5:30PM

Hampus Lager
Dreamer

Hoping to have this fixed by tomorrow.

September 4, 2014 at 8:43PM, Edited September 4, 8:43PM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Shiny...lots to explore. Congrats on the new launch, NFS team. Seems to have been well worth the wait. :)

September 4, 2014 at 5:34PM

Samuel Neff
DP / Editor

Nice to see you're on a proper CMS (Drupal). Unfortunately, the design is clunky, the layout is counter-intuitive, and it looks like quite a mess. As a result, I suspect I'll probably visit less often. That's unfortunate, you frequently have interesting articles.

September 4, 2014 at 6:08PM

Yeeep. Looks like a mobile site gone wrong on my monitor.

September 8, 2014 at 1:24AM

Tyler

Exactly. I used to be a webdesigner/developer before I made the career switch to video and this is the prime example of a website going backwards. Everything is just so big while there's nothing seperating everything from eachother anymore. Nothing that's separating articles on the frontpage from eachother. Nothing that's seperating the main body wrapper from the background or the board articles on the right. The main title that I use to click on to go back to the frontpage (like every other website out there.) is now actually a text input box for the search engine. Why is the search bar even so big and set to show up 100% of the time while I'm reading comments?

Such a shame that it's now so unpleasant to visit this website with often interesting content.

September 8, 2014 at 5:28PM

Awesome, love where the site moving.

September 4, 2014 at 6:24PM

Zia Kalyan
Cinematographer

Site looks good so far. Can't change password or upload image though.
Tried it in Firefox 31 and Chrome 37.

September 4, 2014 at 6:27PM

Luna Videography
Videographer

This problem is the bane of our existence currently. Working on it!

September 4, 2014 at 8:44PM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Works now Thanks.

September 6, 2014 at 5:59PM

Luna Videography
Videographer

Nice layout. Very sleek and contemporary.

I love the community angle, too. Open source film school - brilliant!

September 4, 2014 at 8:36PM

Ben Howling
Writer / Director

Looking forward to the new site. Hopefully the use of real names will reduce the amount of trolling.

September 4, 2014 at 8:48PM

Jorge L. Molinari
Mechanical Engineer / Family Man / Video Producer

I love it well deserved. Best of luck. Looks great!

September 4, 2014 at 9:32PM, Edited September 4, 9:32PM

Anthony F. Marino III
produce shoot edit

Nice looking page! Really love the change (don't ever be afraid of big changes, those will teach you the most)... I'm glad i found NFS back in 2009 and have it as my homepage ever since (not bluffing!). Keep up the good work, and stay around for years to come!! I've been a little sad about Joan Rivers dying but this cheers me up a lot! o_o

September 4, 2014 at 9:46PM

Rafa Ga
Digital Film-Video Editor / Colorist / Motion Graphics

Nicely done, Ryan. There are plenty of networking/community sites already out there for the indie film world, but I feel like this has the potential of being the best. You're taking it in a really good direction. Kudos!

September 4, 2014 at 10:40PM

Chad Stembridge
Cinematographer

Gonna take some getting used to in this new environment, but man, you guys have stepped it up. I love the direction you've taken. The community will definitely benefit and grow in a rich and positive way.

September 5, 2014 at 12:40AM, Edited September 5, 12:40AM

Benjamin Chan
Filmmaker / Video Productions

Ryan! The homepage is AWFUL! That surely didn't take you two years to come up with??!! I love this site, but such a long gestation period should surely have yielded better results...

You have to start checking out the different sections of http://www.siteinspire.com for inspiration and guidance. Really. It's severely needed.

Good luck!

September 5, 2014 at 1:34AM, Edited September 5, 1:34AM

Le Chat

Since I am following nfs for quite a while now, I was really curious about the update. Had a first look this morning and I love it! Thanks for all the effort within the last years and giving people like me the opportunity to learn about everything film related.

September 5, 2014 at 1:34AM

Looking Good, and I love the community aspects!

September 5, 2014 at 1:45AM

Gvickie Xiong
Editor/Cinematographer/Director

Congrats Ryan on the new look for the website. Wishing you the best ahead.

September 5, 2014 at 2:32AM

Arun Meegada
Moviemaker in the Making

This is awesome! I love having a profile and being able to potentially connect to local artists through here.

September 5, 2014 at 3:10AM

Patrick Maclan
Director | Cinematographer | Editor

I really like it, thank you guys!

September 5, 2014 at 3:14AM, Edited September 5, 3:14AM

Salvatore Castellana
Filmmaker

Yes! So good!

September 5, 2014 at 3:15AM

Janic Halioua
Filmmaker

Let's goooooooo

September 5, 2014 at 5:18AM

Cameron Magruder
Beast Mode Instructor

Great restyling guys, love it.

September 5, 2014 at 7:24AM

Andrea Labate
Director / Cinematographer

It looks great!

September 5, 2014 at 8:18AM

Kevin Tostado
Producer, Director

Wow, the site looks great! I love the new visual design.
I wasn't one to use the search functionality before, but it's nice to see it's been revised for when it may come in handy.
I did already run into a crazy bug, though -- when I clicked on this box to start typing my comment, the whole page flashed as if it were reloading, then duplicates of Ryan's post up above started spawning at the bottom of the page every five seconds ad infinitum... very weird; I decided to re-load before I posted.
Still, it's a large endeavor to build a site like this and it looks great so far. Congrats!
(One suggestion: enable the dynamic resizing of the comment input box. A lot of browsers now support that functionality and it would be great for those of us who like to write longer posts.)

September 5, 2014 at 8:25AM

This new design is bad! text is too big, and it does not encourage reading, forcing the reader to scroll continuously while going down the article.

September 5, 2014 at 9:59AM

Don't get me wrong... Really appreciate your guys effort and i really love the new design BUT atm there are too many major bugs for a live website! I think you should have take a little more time in testing. At the moment it is really a pain in the butt experience when using all the sites features....

September 5, 2014 at 10:10AM, Edited September 5, 10:10AM

Domenico Montinaro
Creative Director // DoP

We agree! We had a public beta planned but that fell apart. It's like a film shoot where your actor doesn't show up and the camera breaks but the day was already scheduled so you do the best you can.

Fixing bugs as fast as we can...

September 5, 2014 at 11:35AM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Good analogy. I really like this new infrastructure. It doesn't affect my work in any way, so I don't get all the angst...

September 19, 2014 at 5:28AM

What is the difference between question and discussion? I am quite confused by this. Anyway new web is awesome.

September 5, 2014 at 10:21AM

I also wonder if there is a list of tags in boards? For example, I want to browse all discussions about directing, how do I do it?

September 5, 2014 at 10:26AM

Right now there is a list of topics on the right (we're moving it up, it shouldn't be so low). The tags are only appearing on content right now, instead of having a dedicated tag page to navigate. It's on our list!

September 5, 2014 at 11:36AM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I have to agree with some of the reply's on here. The layout is a huge mess, many nice looking elements but no uniform features or implementation. It's really hard to see were one article begins and were an other starts, same goes for the comments. The front page is the worst in my opinion. Things might be neatly aligned but seem to float at a random spot because there is no clear border to that post's width. The old site was way more easy to navigate..

September 5, 2014 at 10:29AM

Bob

Fantastic work! I couldn't be more thrilled. I've been talking for the better part of a year about how sorely a large-scale community site like this is needed to connect filmmakers together. Considering the large reader-base, and how great the new design is, I think this might end up being the realization of that dream.

September 5, 2014 at 2:21PM

Peter Lipay
Director/Producer/Writer

Love it! Very excited to see what comes next. Thanks for making the best resource out there even better!

September 5, 2014 at 3:02PM

Montgomery Sutton
Director of Photography, AC, Editor

Really really nice!

September 5, 2014 at 3:21PM, Edited September 5, 3:21PM

Dantly Wyatt
Musical Comedy & Content Creator.

Congrats ! It's BIG ! (and WHITE: retinas burning !) but I like it.

I hear it's Kubrick free ? (just kidding...)

September 5, 2014 at 6:39PM, Edited September 5, 6:39PM

I've been reading NFS for quite some time now, but never commented. Congrats on the new look! I look forward to becoming an active member of the community!

September 5, 2014 at 10:30PM

Nurie Kali Mohamed
Post Production Supervisor

Awesome redesign!

September 5, 2014 at 11:16PM, Edited September 5, 11:16PM

William Cusick
Filmmaker

Let's see if I can comment now. When the new site was just launched I had quite a bit of troubles, but hey - that happens. It does look great though, so good work NFS!

September 6, 2014 at 4:03AM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

Please let us know if these problems persist! We've been fixing a lot of 'em.

September 6, 2014 at 6:56PM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

It would be great if there would be notifications about new replies to my discussions at the top of the screen. I saw this in some forums and its a great feature.

September 6, 2014 at 7:21AM

On their way! What they'll look like:

September 6, 2014 at 6:57PM

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

Looks great! Just please make the font smaller, everything's a little big and clumsy for my liking. Otherwise, a fantastic improvement all round.

September 6, 2014 at 5:08PM

Chris Hyland
Student Filmmaker

Yep, the only problem I have with the site is the large and spacious font that can't be resized. I kind of thought I was stuck on a mobile site because of this, but I'm very happy with the new sections and the archives being accessible. And the boards are certainly a nice add-on.

September 16, 2014 at 1:09PM