October 19, 2014

How David Fincher Broke Into the Film Industry & Worked on 'Star Wars'

It's really no surprise that he enjoyed the meticulous work it took to create translights based on his current reputation for being very precise with his films. It's also not surprising that his jobs came out of connections he had with friends, which is how that cliché saying goes: "It's who you know." Some are more fortunate than others, but certainly Fincher capitalized on these connections and it has led to a very successful career as a director in Hollywood.

You can watch the rest of the interview here (which is from 2010 during the release of The Social Network).

I like Larry Jordan's version of "who you know", he says, "It's who knows what you know." Do the people in your network know you are skilled at what you do?

October 19, 2014 at 10:22PM

Reid Kimball
Video Editor

Very true, Reid!

October 20, 2014 at 9:14PM

Jamie Johnson
Director / Editor

Just finished this book for great conversation on Fincher's creative journey and interior process http://www.amazon.com/The-Directors-Cut-Picturing-Hollywood/dp/082641902...

October 20, 2014 at 12:38AM

Check this book out. Just finished it. http://www.amazon.com/David-Fincher-Interviews-Conversations-Filmmakers/...

And this isn't in response to you Ron but I don't want to double comment.

Am I the only one who has started to expect less and less out of NFS? That video is 4 years old and the article is the length of a tweet. I know this will get down voted because it goes against the site it is on. But I'm not bashing for the sake of bashing... I just hope this site gets better. Nothing seems to be posted the day it comes out except a new imac. If anyone on here hopes for success they should hopefully have seen all of these articles before they are posted.

Please just do more.

October 20, 2014 at 1:33AM

Scott Talbot
Director

We appreciate the feedback. It takes a lot of work to manage the site and while we strive to be as timely as possible with newsworthy items, we know that we can always do better.

We hope you'll stick around for all of the exciting stuff we have planned in the future.

October 20, 2014 at 8:33AM, Edited October 20, 9:07AM

Joe Marine
Camera Department

With 2 to 4 posts daily on average on NFS, and a sea of already existing websites and data galore interwebs, i think it's normal to get these types of posts, and it's normal that some people are already familiar with some of the content. It's more of a pin-pointing suggestion/option than an article. "Have you seen this? No? Check it out. Yes? Then good! We have other stuff". Not everyone wants to spend time reading lengthier articles all the time. It's more than ok to have posts like these. They are still part of a great resource.

October 21, 2014 at 12:06AM

Benjamin Chan
Filmmaker / Video Productions

I loved this interview... have never seen it before and I'm new to NoFilmSchool. I'm glad they posted it.

What you said kind of sounds like, "Oh dear god WWII was sooo yesterday and you guys are still talking about it, shame on you history teachers..."

Shame on you, Scotty Boy.

October 21, 2014 at 9:38AM

Dre Kahmeyer
Director

I know what you're saying but I haven't come across this interview before - so I think it's worth posting stuff that's been around a while from time to time

October 21, 2014 at 11:58AM