January 23, 2015

RØDE Announces Tons of New Gear, Including a New Version of the Popular NTG Shotgun Mic

In the largest simultaneous product launch in the history of the company, RØDE introduced several microphones and a new fully-digital wireless audio system at an exclusive event in San Diego.

RØDE launched four new items in all, so let's get to it:

RØDELink Digital Wireless System

First up is the headliner: the RØDELink, a fully-digital wireless audio system that provides a high-resolution 24-bit/44.1k digital audio signal at over 100 yards. Headlining the event is the new RØDELink Digital Wireless System. A fully-digital wireless audio system, RØDELink utilizes a next-generation 2.4GHz, 128-bit encrypted digital transmission sent on two channels simultaneously, providing a high-resolution 24-bit/44.1k digital audio signal at a range of up to 100 meters (over 100 yards).

Technical Specifications

• Transmitter and Receiver Included
  • Broadcast Quality Lavalier Mic Included
  • Series II 2.4 GHz Digital Transmission
  • 128-Bit Encrypted Signal
  • 24-Bit/44.1 kHz Lossless Transmission
  • Up to 100m Range
  • One Touch Pairing
  • OLED Digital Display
  • 3-Level Gain Control
  • USB and AA Battery Powered

The price is set at $399 and is expected to become available in mid March. You can pre-order one at B&H here.

NTG4 and NTG4+ Shotgun Microphones

RØDE has updated their already popular NTG shotgun microphones. The NTG4 and NTG4+ feature an all-new capsule, lower noise and higher sensitivity, on-board digital switching that controls a 75Hz high pass filter, 10db PAD, and high frequency boost. The NTG4+ gets that "+" because it's the first shotgun mic in the world to come with an internal rechargeable (USB) lithium battery, which provides up to 150 hours of operating time.

Technical Specifications

• Super Cardioid Broadcast Quality Sound
  • Low Noise Circuitry
  • Condenser Transducer
  • Rugged Metal Construction
  • On-Board Power Button and LED
  • High Frequency Boost Button
  • High Pass Filter (Flat or 75 Hz)
  • -10 dB PAD Button
  • Low Handling Noise
  • Built-in Rechargeable Battery (NTG4+ only)

The NTG4 and the NTG4+ will cost $349 and $399 respectively, and are expected to become available at the beginning of February. You can pre-order them at B&H here.

NTR Ribbon Microphone

Last but not least is RØDE's highly anticipated NTR Ribbon Microphone. Though it's most likely not going to be your go-to mic for on-set use, it could certainly be helpful for ADR or studio recording work. Here's a bit from RØDE on the mic:

The NTR is unlike any ribbon microphone ever created. The unique design places the ribbon distinctly separate to the microphone frame and body, allowing the greatest possible acoustic transparency around the ribbon element and minimising resonance. The ribbon element itself is designed completely from scratch, using extremely fine aluminium that is only 1.8 microns thick - one of the thinnest ribbons in existence. An innovative, in-house, proprietary technique was developed to laser cut the ribbon, giving a level of precision and accuracy never before seen in a ribbon microphone.

Credit: News Shooter

Here's a short video giving you a behind the scenes look at how the NTR was made:

If you want to hear how the NTR sounds, check out this video of Katie Noonan performing her song "Home":

Technical Specifications

• Figure-8 Polar Pattern
  • 20 Hz to 20 kHz Frequency Response
  • 130 dB Maximum SPL
  • 1.8 Micron Ribbon Element
  • Internal Shock Mounting System
  • Includes Ribbon-Securing Travel Screw

The NTR Ribbon mic costs $799 and is also expected to become available at the beginning of February. You can pre-orde yours at B&H here.

For more information about each of these new products, head on over to RØDE's website

At these price points I have to wonder if the NTG4 and NTG4+ will compare favorably to the wonderful sounding NTG3 or if they are more of a spiritual successor to the NTG2 with its noticeably less impressive recording characteristics.

January 23, 2015 at 11:58PM

You voted '-1'.
Myke Scaffidi
Editor/DP

I was wondering the same thing. At those prices it seems like it could be the latter.

January 24, 2015 at 9:27AM, Edited January 24, 9:27AM

Luke Neumann
Cinematographer/Composer/Editor

As someone who knows very little about audio, the first question that comes to mind is why does the NTG4 and NTG4+ cost significantly less than the NTG3? I'm planning to purchase one of the three soon so I would love an answer, thanks!

January 24, 2015 at 6:01PM, Edited January 24, 6:01PM

It looks like the NTG-4 is going to replace the NTG-1 and NTG-2 mics, and sound wise I would expect it to sound better than either of these previous mics.

The model number does not mean anything, so likely the NTG-3 mic will still produce better sound than the cheaper NTG-4 mic, but I am wondering by how much ?

February 1, 2015 at 11:38PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

On the vimeo video Rode made, it says that it places ntg4 and 4+ between ntg1, 2 and ntg3...
I guess we will have to wait and see
Here is the video that I am talking about (http://vimeo.com/117036856)

January 24, 2015 at 8:53PM

Paul HyunBin Kim
A/V Technician

I think the Rode NTG4 is a response to the Sennheiser MKE600 shotgun mic. I sold my NTG2 mic after buying the MKE600 mic because the Sennheiser mic just sounds better and picks up less off-axis sound when working indoors. I am curious to see how the NTG4 and MKE600 compare.

January 25, 2015 at 9:36AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

that ribbon mic sounds amazing! I'm definitely interested in the wireless kit.

January 24, 2015 at 7:34PM

Peter Staubs
Camera Assistant

The wireless kit looks interesting. Keen to try it out in a busy city environment. Hope they release a kit without the lav as I already own the rode lapel mic and would like to mix and match other audio kit with it.

January 24, 2015 at 8:06PM

matt

I think the wireless kit is too limited in functionality to be a serious contender in the smi-pro sphere. A 3-step input volume adjuster? Seriously?! For me that just screams "consumer kit". Is there anywhere to adjust output volume?
The Sennheiser G3 they compare to, in the video as "Difficult to set-up", is a little harder to use BECAUSE it features a lot of pro features that make them super versatile, like; setting up squelch, output volume, custom naming, etc.
I'm all for going digital in the wireless setup, but don't take away fuctionalty in the name of making things easier.
I would look for the Sony UWP-D11 instead. It also uses the normal 500-700 Mhz bands instead of the wifi bands.

January 26, 2015 at 5:33AM

My biggest problem with the Rodelink is that it has a built-in battery. I'd much rather have 9V or AA batteries - cheap, dependable, replaceable, and easy to find anywhere. I'd be so pissed if one of these units died on me in the field...

Sure, you COULD use an external USB powerpack, but now you have more pieces of gear to keep track of (charge both transmitter and receiver and charge powerpacks for both). And then you have to figure out how to mount the powerpack to the receiver (tape? rubber band?)... AND what do you do if the transmitter dies? Slide a powerpack into your talent's waistband and hope the USB cable doesn't slip loose in the middle of a take?

What if the internal battery goes bad?

Or what if you're in a cold environment that drains batteries fast as hell?
This just happened on a Georgia shoot (17ºF)... the fully-charged batteries on the BTS camera died in 10 minutes. Our pro batteries (RED v-mount and Anton Bauer bricks) held up fine... and if we were rolling audio, I'd gladly pay $20/day and burn through a pack of AA's.

January 26, 2015 at 3:05PM

Jon Wolding
DP/Director

On the RODELINK it states "AA battery or USB powered".

Only the new NTG4 has an internal battery.

Enrico

January 26, 2015 at 4:14PM

Both the receiver and transmitter take AA batteries. The USB power is just another option for powering them.

January 27, 2015 at 4:55PM

David S.

The Technical Specs on the RodeLink say it's either USB or AA powered, and if you go to the B&H page, there's a photo of the transmitter with the battery door slid open to reveal two batteries.

My bigger battery concern was the 4+. The claimed battery life is 150+ hours, but as we all know, things don't get charged, or cold temps sap your batteries, and because the USB plug is inside the XLR connection, there doesn't seem to be any way to charge while you're using the mic. It seems like they made an aesthetic choice rather than a functional one when they buried that charging port, and it doesn't make any sense to me.

January 28, 2015 at 4:42PM

I recently bought a Rode NTG4+ microphone for use with my sony A7s, I also bought a Hosa XLF Female to 3.5mm converter but I have been experiencing a constant low buzzing on the audio track. Is this because the signal is too strong for the A7s and I need to buy a recorder for the mic? or can I change the audio settings on the camera to get rid of this problem?

October 13, 2015 at 6:20AM, Edited October 13, 6:20AM