A Closer Look at the Kinefinity KineMax, Which Offers Internal 6K & 14 Stops of Latitude

Over at the Kinefinity booth at NAB, we were able to get up close and personal with the KineMax 6K, which shoots internal 6K, 4K, 3K, 2K, HD, and 720p, and has 14 stops of dynamic range.

This is yet another camera that made an appearance at NAB for the second year in a row, (the VariCam35 is another), which has given filmmakers eagerly waiting for this bad boy to ship plenty of time to stew in their excitement. And it's understandable why -- the images we've seen thus far from the KineMax have been nothing short of stunning. Not to mention that the price isn't so exorbitant that low-budget filmmakers will never be able to get their hands on it (renting or buying).

If you haven't seen footage taken with the KineMax 6K, here are a few videos that'll get you acquainted.

Technical Specifications

The shipping date for the KineMax 6K is set for the end of May (for preorders), and will cost about $11,000 depending on the model, package, etc. you buy. Based on high customer interest, Kinefinity is still running their "First 100 Units" promotion, which means that you can still preorder the camera until April 30th. You can preorder yours here.

No Film School's complete coverage of NAB 2015 is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock.

No Film School's coverage of NAB is brought to you by Color Grading Central, Shutterstock, Blackmagic Design, and Bigstock

This company is growing really fast. It feels like this camera and the mini ursa vs. The world.

I'm Edgar M and I approve this camera.

April 16, 2015 at 11:31AM

Edgar More
All

I am going to throw a stone and hide my hand.....(I will absolutely forget what I am going to said here).....but if you are thinking to spend $11K in this camera, please make yourself a huge favor, save another $4k-5K and buy a Canon C300 mark II, much better a known workhorse than a new one to know (with all the headache associated to it).

April 16, 2015 at 12:02PM, Edited April 16, 12:02PM

RED Started out The Same Way...Its a Risk But No One Starts At The Top Of The Ladder...And Its Growing..They May Not Speak The Same Language When Talking About The Camera But U Can't Deny That Image...
Canon is Overpriced... The URSA and The FS7 Offer Better Specs At Half The Price...But Canon Has a Name..And People Are Willing to Pay For It...

April 16, 2015 at 1:55PM

CABLE (X-FORCE)
DP/EDITOR/DIR

RED is also a US company that has good product support. This camera is from a third-world country start up company. I admire what they are trying to do but the price would have to be a lot lower for me to risk money on a product like this. No guaranteed support and an already over-saturated market.

As for canon being overpriced, I guess it is for those that can't afford it. The camera might not have every bell and whistle that you are looking for but it will rent well and undoubtedly be a success for canons core market.

April 16, 2015 at 3:17PM

There's oversaturation of 6K? Huh??

April 16, 2015 at 9:08PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming
2054

You said those words not me... I am referring to a saturated market of mid priced cine cameras. 6k doesn't magically make a camera better.

April 16, 2015 at 9:20PM

You did not specify what you meant.

This is a 6K camera. There is no saturation for that resolution. $11,000.00 for 6K is like $1,700.00 for 4K was in the GH4. It's easy to see the better pop in color at 6K than in 4K. Higher K's is making cameras better. All the talk of only wider DR, and all the other specs, being more important than higher resolution, is internet comment fodder only. No one sitting in theaters, or watching commercials, or music videos, is straining there eye trying to estimate DR of what they are watching. This camera has 14 stops. And look at those flesh tones!! There's plenty of room for this fine camera! :-)

April 17, 2015 at 7:16AM, Edited April 17, 7:16AM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming
2054

Cameras specs don't make films, artists do.

April 17, 2015 at 7:40AM

Since I can't reply to directly to Mr Marc bellow here it goes. China is still a developing country. I am not dismissing the product because it is Chinese. I am merely stating that it will likely be difficult to get camera support and service here in the US like you could with a RED. And that because they are new its hard to gauge if their product will take off or not. The OP was making a direct comparison between the two companies, that is all.

I have done my research on this product and for a period it peaked my interest, however I believe its difficult sell today because we have a saturated market.

April 16, 2015 at 9:17PM

April 23, 2015 at 5:04PM

Daniel Mimura
DP, cam op, steadicam op

I agree Canon is overpriced for most of us, and only PRO can afford it, of course I can not buy a Canon C300 because of I do not have the money for it (that`s the reason I hide my hand), but the support you get from canon is part of the price, and is everywhere. This Chinese camera has no real post-sale support, and when you are in the middle of a shooting and something fail, then is when you realise an extra $4K-5K is nothing…..so instead of spend $11K in a bet, better to choose the safe path….RED always had a real post-sale support, and the R1 camera had a lot of problems in the beginning so that support was key…..I own a R1 MX camera, and now after all the firmware upgrades is fantastic, very reliable, but it took some time to reach this level of confidence.

April 16, 2015 at 4:42PM

China was the cultural leader of the world, until communism came in. One good example was, Gutenberg did not invent the printing press with movable type. It was in China long before Gutenberg made his version. I am glad China has come out from under communism. This camera is a shining example of what the Chinese can do. 6K for $11,000.00! Smile! What a time we are living in. :-)

April 16, 2015 at 9:15PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming
2054

Last time I checked, China was still under Communist ruling. However, this is not a 3rd world, nor a developing country.

April 16, 2015 at 10:31PM

Cédric Jouarie
Director, Writer, Producer

Google it, Top result...

"With a population of 1.3 billion, China recently became the second largest economy and is increasingly playing an important and influential role in the global economy. Yet China remains a developing country (its per capita income is still a fraction of that in advanced countries) and its market reforms are incomplete."

It is a developing country.

April 17, 2015 at 6:02AM

Google it, LOL!

China has a brilliant culture that goes back before the time of Christ. The grip of communism has loosened for years now. There is no iron grip of communism there now.

April 17, 2015 at 7:19AM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming
2054

I agree, its a brilliant culture with a beautiful diverse landscape. I have had the opportunity to go there several times now and would love to go again.

April 17, 2015 at 7:31AM

Right. With out forgetting that you can save other 10K and try Black Magic Lantern, I MEANT design!, I said design.

April 16, 2015 at 9:37PM

Edgar More
All

I first saw these guys at last years NAB and they seem to have a really good thing going for them. The KiniMini looks pretty awesome the the Kinimax at 6K is pretty cool for only 11 grand.

The only problem is american representation. That is what kills them. I would very seriously consider buying one, the image looks great, the extra features are awesome and affordable. Im actually rooting for these guys.

April 16, 2015 at 6:25PM, Edited April 16, 6:25PM

Kevin Greene
Editor

He said $11,000.00. I thought he would say $30,000.00.

Buttons on the outside---such ease of use!

Great skin tones. Great poppin' color. Great resolution. What a beautiful camera!!

April 16, 2015 at 9:06PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming
2054

Look at those skin tones in the video shot in Germany. Where are all the people that always gripe about skin tones not being good enough in cameras?? This camera looks brilliant with skin tone! You now have a camera to be happy about.

Come on folks, let's get some positive comments going on this web site.

April 16, 2015 at 9:19PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming
2054

Huh, that was actually not bad.

April 16, 2015 at 11:11PM, Edited April 16, 11:11PM

Terma Louis
Photographer / Cinematographer / Editor

I would LOVE to see this camera in a Zacuto shootout with the new Arri 6K 65mm, just those two cameras. Apparently it costs $10,000.00 to rent that Arri for 1 day. For 2 days rental cost you could buy this Kinemax camera and everything needed, EVERYTHING! including some fantastic glass.

April 17, 2015 at 9:27PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming
2054

This is a fantastic looking camera ..... Their problem is recording formats..... Apple is not giving them prores certification for some reason .... If they get DNX it would take them to a new height.
Once they get that and refine the UI and get a bit more high speed in there they will skyrocket

April 17, 2015 at 9:16AM, Edited April 17, 9:16AM

Nigel Thompson
Director / Editor / Producer

In this video from 6 days ago, made by Newsshooter at NAB 2015, he says the price is $7999.00. So I don't know which price to believe. He also is saying there is 16 stops at 3K 'Golden'.

April 19, 2015 at 3:21PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming
2054

Here is a little more footage from the Kinemax, alternating between 4K and 6K. This video may have been posted by NFS already. This camera looks kick ass in 6K!!!

April 19, 2015 at 3:30PM

Gene Nemetz
live streaming
2054

why is everybody babying mike. mike go f yself and stop being such a wannabe, and pretentious prick. i have absolutely nothing invested in the company at hand, but can see why the positive comments have been thrown out, and your need to bash it is just laughable. btw don't bother replying. i won't read it. i have better things to do, unlike yourself it seems. bye.

April 20, 2015 at 12:51PM

Rory Sopoci-Belknap
Director

Not talking cameras. Last year I traveled in China again and too help me get around efficiently I bought a fancy Chinese made tablet computer with the latest GPS and maps. It cost more than an Apple ipad because it had more features, that I could not use because they did not produce a manual for it, nor would they supply the instructions when requested. In the six weeks I was in China I got ten days use out of it. The first time I sent it back to the factory in Shenzhen they told me, “they would send it back after I had paid for the repairs”. I reminded them that, “in China the laws says that I have 12 month warranty, so I do not pay for the repairs”. After the second time I sent it back it lasted less than a day before faulting. By this time I was coming to the end of my travels and told them, “this things is no good because it does not work”. They agreed if I sent it back they would refund the money. At first after giving then the tracking number they told me, “there are no goods with this number”. I eventually got a Chinese person in New Zealand to check the web site for the Courier company to find out what was going on. The tablet computer had been delivered and signed for in December. This Chinese person phoned the company in Shenzhen and explained to them that it was known that they had this tablet computer, so what about the refunded, “yes they would do that after the Chinese New Year”. That was in February and they still have not refunded the money or even offered to replace it with a new unit.
In mine and other people’s experience the Chinese make and sell things, forget about the manual and a warranty.
Yes, Canon gear is expensive, but it works out of the box and in the West you have a warranty. Though I have heard that they have some clever-dick words to get out of that sometimes, buyer beware.

April 20, 2015 at 10:43PM, Edited April 20, 10:43PM

Brian Milne
Everything

Newsshooter is reporting the cost is "$7999 US".

link to it: