Panasonic GH4 V-Log Profile Announced, Will Cost $100

After many months, Panasonic has finally announced the V-Log profile upgrade for the GH4.

Unfortunately, if you've been reading the rumors, they were true: it's going to be a paid option, and will cost $100. Since this took so long to come out, the assumption is that Panasonic spent a lot of resources on making it much more than just a flat picture profile — which is why this isn't free like other upgrades we've gotten from Panasonic. Essentially if you want the log profile on your camera (which improves dynamic range from 10 to 12 stops), you'll be buying a license that is tied to your camera's serial, so you wouldn't be able to transfer it to other cameras temporarily. Firmware version 2.3 firmware will still be a free update, but the option to use V-Log won't be unlocked until you buy the key from Panasonic (this will be mailed to you, it's not available for download).

Here is Panasonic on the new V-Log:

In response to the demand from the film production market, log video recording (V-Log L) is now available for the LUMIX GH4, and offers exceptional flexibility as well as wider dynamic range for color grading in post-production process. V-Log / V-Log L were developed to feature similar characteristics to Cineon, which is a characteristic curve for film digitalization. Taking full advantage of Four Thirds sensor, V-Log L boasts a log characteristic with 12 stops. Both V-Log and V-Log L have the same characteristic curve, and LUT (Look Up Table) can be utilized.

Eduardo Angel has been using V-Log for a while now, and shows us what it can do in these videos:

You can also see a comparison of V-Log to S-Log from Nick Driftwood. Here is the Sony a7S on the left wtih SLog2 and the GH4 with V-Log on the right:

Video is no longer available: www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrw5yAo53U

Features of the V-Log firmware upgrade:

• LUMIX GH4 function enhancement for film production/professional videographers
  • Increases dynamic range from 10 stops to 12 stops
  • Makes color grading easier with improved compatibility between LUMIX GH4 and Panasonic Varicam
  • V-Log / V-Log L were developed to feature similar characteristic to Cineon
  • One Key Per Camera
  • Sales Are Regional Outside the USA
  • Not Sold As a Download
  • Key is Locked to GH4 Serial Number
  • Availability: Mid September
  • Price: $100

And here's the install process for V-Log:

The company has also announced a brand new version of the GH4, called the GH4R, which includes this V-Log internally, and also removes the recording time limit. This camera will not be sold in the US, however, it will be a European-only model (at least for now):

You won't have long to find out for yourself how this profile compares with other profiles in the camera (and with other cameras), as it is set to be released sometime in the middle of September. You can pre-order now from both B&H and from Panasonic.

You Might Also Like

Oh man, I really dig the Vlog with the Alexa LUT. How do you get that LUT?

September 1, 2015 at 8:43AM, Edited September 1, 8:43AM

Tony

VisionColor do some really nice LUTs for Alexa's and other camera profiles. They're called Impulz LUTs.

September 1, 2015 at 9:08AM, Edited September 1, 9:08AM

Aweome, and I also noticed on the Arri site you can generate LUTS for your production also!

September 1, 2015 at 9:51AM

Tony

Hi Tony, I started with some of the default LUTs on Adobe SpeedGrade and then tweak them a bit.

September 1, 2015 at 10:16AM

Eduardo Angel
Visual Storyteller

This particular lut is available by default in Davinci Resolve.

September 1, 2015 at 1:40PM

A paid firmware upgrade?! What the actual fuck. There are probably thousands of people out there who bought this camera on the promise of a log format. Those people shelled out their $1700. Pony up, Panasonic.

At the very least, there ought to be a 30-day trial on offer, so people can see what v-log looks like and try grading it themselves before selling another fucking lung for camera gear.

September 1, 2015 at 9:07AM, Edited September 1, 9:28AM

You my friend have no perspective at all. Just wanted to let you know before your comment gets deleted.

September 1, 2015 at 9:40AM, Edited September 1, 9:40AM

Agreed. $100 is very reasonable to extend and enhance the life of an already very inexpensive camera.

September 1, 2015 at 10:17AM

Eduardo Angel
Visual Storyteller

Yes, agree. $100 to add a lot of life to your camera isn't expensive.

September 1, 2015 at 10:57AM

Tony

Panasonic delivered on their promise. GH4 owners are getting V-log aren't they? Did they ever say it would be free?

Besides, this isn't the first time a firmware update wasn't free. Sony did it with S-log on the F3, 4k with the FS700U, and 4k with the F5.

It's really no different than the FS700U vs 700R V3 firmware. That one was $400 and had to mailed in to get the update.

September 1, 2015 at 11:03AM

And I think originally, there wasn't even going to be a V-Log for the GH4s.

September 2, 2015 at 4:42PM

Tony

The price is reasonable for what you get. It is still the best bang for buck. Why do people complain about everything?

September 1, 2015 at 11:31AM

Walter Wallace
YouTuber

Pretend that Panasonic were going to charge $1,800 for the GH4 when they first released it, but decided to lower the price to $1,700 because V-LOG wasn't ready yet. With the $100 upgrade, you're no worse off. :-)

September 1, 2015 at 3:34PM

Scott Vanderbilt
Production Sound mixer

You would sell your lung for $100? That's a fantastic deal. Can I buy the other one?

September 2, 2015 at 12:36AM

Aaron Lochert
Director of Photography

Fort me it's about where this is headed, I fee like this could open up doors to where we now have to pay for firmware upgrades? Really? Seriously, if you buy a camera with a big brand name on there back you expect the company to fully support your product much as they can, and for you to start having to pay for firmware upgrades is ridiculous in my opinion.

Like I said I think this upgrade is awesome, and maybe well worth $100. But this will open doors to lot of already "BIG MONEY MAKING COMPANIES" to get more of our money.

September 2, 2015 at 9:52AM

Keith Kim
Photographer

I'm really disappointed actually going to leave another comment.
Hopefully Nikon and Canon's not headed this direction with their stills cameras, I will be really upset if I have to pay for my firmware upgrades in order to make my $1000 over camera to work with my computer and other programs.

I could already see it happening, when the new SD or CF card comes out with bigger memory write speed, and I have to pay for a firmware upgrade to make it work with my camera....... think about that.

September 2, 2015 at 9:58AM, Edited September 2, 9:59AM

Keith Kim
Photographer

Ed, I never said anything about them stealing kidney or anyone of my body parts. and if you read my comment it also says that firmware might be well worth $100.00 who knows, I haven't tried it. But what I am saying is it could open doors for lot of future firmware upgrade for cash.
Honestly if Sony comes out with a firmware upgrade for my A7s to shoot 4k for $100. I will buy it in a heart beat. But you see what's happening here, it's making it "normal" for them to do that. But I am saying it shouldn't be a norm.

September 4, 2015 at 9:23AM

Keith Kim
Photographer

4K internal recording I meant sorry.

September 4, 2015 at 9:34AM

Keith Kim
Photographer

There is a BIG difference between firmware UPGRADES and firmware FIXES. I have no problem paying for upgrades.

September 4, 2015 at 2:23PM

Video Producer

Bug fix is one thing, but a feature is completely different. Stop acting like code has no value. What if I expected you to give me the next three sequels of your film because I bought the first copy, enjoyed the hell out of it, and can't wait to see the next one but refuse to pay for it.

It's stupid isn't it? Yet no one was complaining when they got anamorphic mode (which no cam south of $10K has) for absolutely free. So stop trying to paint Panasonic like they are stealing a kidney for charging some change for a feature they never promised to give you!

September 3, 2015 at 5:32PM

I am all for paid upgrades that add new features to my current cameras, but it has to be worth it to me or I will simply pass on it.

...If this was paid firmware fixes then I would be screaming blue murder, but that is hot the case here, so there's no reason for concern.

September 4, 2015 at 2:18PM, Edited September 4, 2:20PM

Video Producer

Yea, I do agree on some aspect, because as I mentioned if they come out with a firmware upgrade on the A7s to recorder 4k internal when they come out with a mark II version for say $200.00 I would still buy it. Still lot cheaper compare to buying external recorder and buying all the SSDs.

Yea, hopefully it doesn't become a norm. My first FF stills camera was Nikon D3 and after a few years later, I decided to buy a 64GB CF card. And for some reason it wouldn't read the card. So I did some research and found out there was a firmware upgrader on the camera because when the camera was first made there was no such thing as 64GB CF cards. So it really wasn't a fix in that situation. But hopefully you guys are right and I am wrong on this. And it stays that way. I just think it's another way of the big companies to make more money, and I get that its still a business and you are paying for the coders and R&D for future products as well.

September 4, 2015 at 3:25PM, Edited September 4, 3:25PM

Keith Kim
Photographer

Nah, don't sweat it. They'll be a hack out 24 hours after the official release...

September 3, 2015 at 7:56PM

Vidrazor

Haha~

September 4, 2015 at 9:24AM

Keith Kim
Photographer

Is it me or the last Vlog graded video in the Eduardo Angel video is pretty bad? It's actually a question, I have little experience in color grading, but to my eyes it looks really bad.

September 1, 2015 at 9:56AM, Edited September 1, 9:56AM

David R. Falzarano
Director / Writer / Editor

It's just his taste. I wasn't a huge fan of that look either, but to each his own. I was hoping he'd put the Alexa LUT on the fruit shots and the close ups of faces in that last section.

September 1, 2015 at 10:24AM, Edited September 1, 10:25AM

Lane McCall
Producer/Director

The grades are pretty dead looking, I agree.

Here's some grades I just did to the jpegs in about 10 mintues:

1st image, ungraded
2nd image, image balance + V Log to Rec 709 for Varicam 35 LUT - This one is more of an initial starting point for an alternate look.
3rd image, image balance + Kodak 2383 Print LUT - This one is more of a "look" than anything.

These were all single node grades and could probably use some tweaking. I don't claim to be a colorist but perhaps this is a better idea of what you can get right away with the V-Log mode.

September 2, 2015 at 12:32AM

Aaron Lochert
Director of Photography

I do not see any thing wrong with the paid firmware. Its for those engeners who worked really hard for us to get this feature in relatively very inexpensive camera. I do not understand why people rant about the paid firmware update, If you do not like it do not buy it. No one is forcing you. I will buy it its worth the money to me.
Happy Filming.

September 1, 2015 at 10:00AM, Edited September 1, 9:59AM

Aurelien Brentraus
Director/Cinematographer

I agree. 100$ is a fair sum and if video/filmmaking is your actual job it's a no-brainer investment. The 2 stop dynamic range increase is really yummy. In the same time I can understand how 100$ for a firmware upgrade may sound too much for amateurs and non-professional who shot videos just for hobby.

September 1, 2015 at 10:05AM, Edited September 1, 10:05AM

David R. Falzarano
Director / Writer / Editor

Im not impressed with V-LOG-L either. These demo's are apauling and certainly don't show it in it's best light. The bottom line is if you want top level looks get a camera that shoots RAW. Then you'll see the difference you expect to see. I think a lot of people will be dissapointed with this because as per usual many people will be expecting this feature to take them from zero to hero. It isn't a polish shite button, just another picture profile to add to the others. Save your money get another better camera like the A7s or A7r2 with far superior low light performance and LOG as standard. A much better deal. If you are thinking of selling your GH4 I'd get it on eBay quick as I reckon a bunch of them are about to start selling now they know this V-Log-L profile is on sale and not free. I just bought the A7r2 no going back now. Whooop.

September 1, 2015 at 11:06AM, Edited September 1, 11:06AM

John Stockton
Filmmaker, Editor.

The thing is; even with the $100 for V Log, the GH4 is still significantly cheaper than the a7s. This firmware update is a real bargain, internal 4K recording with 2 more stops of dynamic range? No-brainer.

September 1, 2015 at 11:32AM, Edited September 1, 11:32AM

Ok, lets check things out. Using the current B&H Photo prices for all cameras, here we go...

GH4 Body + V-Log Upgrade = $1,398 + 100 = $1,498
Sony A7S Body = $2,498
Sony A7R II Body = $3,198

So you have to spend an extra $1,000 to buy the A7S over the GH4 with V-log.

You can get the A7R II for an extra $1,700 over the price of the GH4 with V-log.

Hmmm... Sony doesn't look so hot any more. I could buy a lot of great production gear with the extra $1,000 to $1,700 I would have to spend to buy Sony.

But hold on, wait a second.... I want a camera that can shoot RAW video and still take good still photos. Hmmm... Apparently NONE of these cameras can shoot RAW video.

...OK, what about shooting live events. Which of these cameras will allow me to shoot great live event videos ?

Let's see. The Sony cameras all stop recording at the 30 minute mark ( so I'm going to have to live with gaps in my live recording ) and the batteries last about one hour of shooting, so a 6 hour event is going to take at least 6 batteries. ( the A7R II is out if I want to shoot 4K video because it will overheat within the first hour of shooting, and the A7S requires an external recorder to shoot 4K, wow big bucks to shoot 4K longer than 30 minutes in the Sony camp )

...Or I could shoot with the GH4 and add on the battery grip which will give me 6 hours of 4K V-log recording time with NO gaps and NO overheating, all powered by just two batteries. ( the one in the camera and the one in the battery grip )

So let me get this straight. I can spend all this extra money to buy Sony, but I don't get RAW recording, and I can't shoot 4K for anything longer than 30 minutes, and the A7R II has a 4K overheating problem ???

Hmmm... I think I can see why a lot of people like to shoot with the GH4.

September 1, 2015 at 3:50PM, Edited September 1, 4:35PM

Video Producer

I find it interesting how a few pros (not you specifically) tend to shift their arguments depending on the situation. On one hand they will add up the money if it really is less expensive. On the other they will mention how "$1000" is just peanuts for filmmakers.

And the 30min limit argument is really not true for anybody from Europe. I at least hoped Panasonic would remove that too with the update.

Still, I'm very excited to take VLog out for a spin.

September 1, 2015 at 10:51PM, Edited September 1, 10:51PM

Paul-Louis Pietz Pröve
director / dop / editor

Europe is getting a new Panasonic GH4R body that already has V-log installed and does NOT have the 30 minute time limit. ( it would be great if this new V-log upgrade also removed the 30 minute time limit too, but I think that is wishful thinking )

September 2, 2015 at 4:50AM, Edited September 2, 4:51AM

Video Producer

What if I tell you it is not all about RAW recording and filming live events.

It seems like the Gh4 is the perfect camera for your shooting style, but it does not mean it is the wright tool for everybody and every project.

Even if the live event you keep talking about is in the evening, you will not find yourself shooting on the Gh4. Especially not in 4k v-log
(you will get noise at ISO anything over 400)

Different cameras different tasks...

September 2, 2015 at 12:02AM

I agree with the philosophy of "Use the right tool for the job". There is no "perfect" camera.

September 2, 2015 at 4:54AM

Hahaha! Tell 'em, Guy!

September 3, 2015 at 6:13AM

Frank Edoho
Digital Filmmaker.

Haha yessir!! Love my GH4 and wouldn't trade it.

..maybe for a Gh5?

September 4, 2015 at 12:16PM

Christopher Evans
Video Artist

They should have given the VLog to Philip Bloom or James Miller for testing, I really don't see anything special in the existing tutorial.

September 2, 2015 at 2:54AM

Sebastian Kammonen
Filmmaker

Yes, I've seen better footage than the samples posted. But I think all of this will change once anybody can shoot V-log with their GH4. We should be swamped with great GH4 samples by the end of September.

September 2, 2015 at 4:55AM

Video Producer

How's the overheating in the A7r2 going?

September 3, 2015 at 6:10AM

Frank Edoho
Digital Filmmaker.

I'm pretty new to working with these flat picture profiles, and I haven't really found a good answer to whether using V-Log is useful when recording 8-bit 4K internally.

1. Does using V-Log (or other flat picture profiles) make more sense when using an external recorder that records at better quality?

2. Do the LUTs out there work well when working in the 8-bit internal format?

Hope these questions make sense to someone. Thanks.

September 1, 2015 at 12:41PM

Well the Atomos Ninja Assassin is on its way, so that should get your images bumbed ;)

September 2, 2015 at 2:55AM

Sebastian Kammonen
Filmmaker

ALL of the Canon C100/C300 and Sony Mirrorless LOG footage has been recorded as 8-bit video, and nobody is complaining. I think it all comes down to getting the right exposure and properly processing your LOG footage in post.

The GH4 has the 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 option when using an external recorder ( something Canon and Sony don't have with the cameras I mentioned above ), so I expect that the best looking footage will require an external recorder. ( but they are getting pretty cheap )

September 2, 2015 at 5:00AM, Edited September 2, 5:00AM

Video Producer

Thanks, now that you mention the Canon C cameras it makes sense. I had just not made the connection.

September 7, 2015 at 11:16PM

Anyone see of anywhere to purchase this in Canada? I can't seem to find anything yet. Would prefer not to pay duty/brokerage, so was just curious if anyone had any leads before I order from B&H.

Thank you kindly in advance!

-Matthew

September 1, 2015 at 12:52PM, Edited September 1, 12:52PM

I am in the same boat.

September 1, 2015 at 1:01PM

Aurelien Brentraus
Director/Cinematographer

Me too...

September 2, 2015 at 12:41PM

David Fernandes
Director

I just spoke with Panasonic Canada. Apparently when the new firmware is released for download, then the VLOG update will be available for purchase from the Panasonic.ca site or directly from a Panasonic dealer. I asked if buying it directly from a dealer would mean that you get the code you need on the spot and not have to wait for something to be mailed. They couldn't answer that question at the moment.

My hope is that the dealers will get some sort of physical thing they can sell you and you can go home, open it, and update your camera.

September 2, 2015 at 1:27PM

David Fernandes
Director

Thank you for the update/info David. I greatly appreciate it.

I too hope that they will have stock of this code so it can be immediate. I would think this to be the case, because of the lack of pre-order here.

September 2, 2015 at 2:23PM

I'm in the middle between most opinions. Yes the update is absolutely worth the money, but I don't like the fact that Panasonic chose the path of paid updates, no matter how reasonable they re priced.

And I certainly believe that a free update would have been worth the investment for Panasonic. If they need anything in today's time, it's loyalty. And they just lost mine.

September 1, 2015 at 2:16PM

Paul-Louis Pietz Pröve
director / dop / editor

Lost your loyalty for upgrading 2 stops of DR with a professional log profile, for $99? Tough crowd.

September 1, 2015 at 8:17PM

I didn't say that. It's just one part of a longer story. The other parts are:

-One year of completely irrelevant updates and making us pay for the first one that matters.
-The competition being technologically ahead of Panasonic
-Cine D being a poor color profile in the first place and hoping for improvement for a long time
-Promising a Log update and now selling it to us. (Lets face it, they definitely implied that it would be free, and now they are lawyering us by saying they never used the word "free")

It comes down to the fact that I believe the competition is passing Panasonic and a free update would've been an appreciation of our loyalty.

September 1, 2015 at 10:39PM

Paul-Louis Pietz Pröve
director / dop / editor

I don't really see a lot of competition for the GH4 - maybe the a7s, but that's out of the price range, doesn't record 4K internally, isn't weather proof and in my opinion is less versatile of a camera.
I'd love to get the VLog for free too, but obviously seeing the time it took to release it the guys over at Panasonic have been working on it for a while.

September 2, 2015 at 2:58AM

Sebastian Kammonen
Filmmaker

What do you mean irrelevant updates? We got 4:3 anamorphic, what other DSLR has that? The GH4 can do so much, and the updates that came out were incremental fixes to bugs and a couple AWESOME features. All free. It did so much out of the box at such a low price!

Not to mention, I never heard any Panasonic rep say it was going to be a "free" update. I think that was just speculation on everyone being so excited about yet another great update that was coming.

Cine D has some color problems, but all cameras are doing their color science differently. I don't like that Canon's typically come out pretty reddish. They all have their quirks. Everyone has their preference.

Even if you bought the camera day one, at around 1700(?), its still less than 2000 with VLog, shoots 4K internal, has 10bit 422 external, can shoot 96p, has a focus peaking, zebras, TONS of other features.

What am I missing? What loyalty do they not deserve? They had the GH1 and GH2, a huge community sprung around it. The GH3 came out to be closer to what the GH2 hacked did, now the GH4 is practically a "professional camera". I love the thing.

September 2, 2015 at 10:53AM

That GH4r is a sleeper here. No record limit is huge. I think we all knew that VLog would be paid for, but for 100 bucks it's a negligible cost IMO. Still, this isn't enough for me to sell my BMPCC and get a GH4r, but I'm sure the GH4 crowd are super happy to hear this news.

September 1, 2015 at 11:53PM

Logan Fish
Video Journalist, Gulf News

I'm honestly very confused why people are putting the Alexa LUT on when there is a LUT BUILT SPECIFICALLY FOR V-LOG right on the panasonic website: http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/varicam/35/dl.html I understand that it's cool to see the comparison with the Alexa LUT, but first show us what it looks like with the standard LUT/the colors intended by the manufacturer.

On an unrelated note. I'll definitely be buying it to play with it. I'd love to see how it grades on the internal 4k. I'd really love to see an internal 10 bit 1080, but I guess that's asking a bit much.

September 2, 2015 at 12:32AM, Edited September 2, 12:32AM

So do we actually receive a package with the update? I'm living in Europe, and shipping from B&H is over 50usd, and the import taxes on top of that.
I'd be happy to buy it online and download after the payment.

September 2, 2015 at 4:02AM, Edited September 2, 4:02AM

Mikko Suomalainen
DP/1st AC

You'll be able to buy it here when it's out, around mid-september:

September 2, 2015 at 4:41AM, Edited September 2, 4:48AM

Oren Agami
Creative Director, SAP

I mean what will be the format I receive the product. Will it be a download link I get to my email after I've paid for it, or will it be a actual parcel I receive to my home.

Does anybody know about that?

September 2, 2015 at 7:53AM

Mikko Suomalainen
DP/1st AC

Here's a video from Panasonic that covers the whole GH4 V-log upgrading process...

...What's interesting is that it shows a new menu display on the GH4 called "Activation List", which looks like there will be MORE new paid upgrades for the GH4 in the future.

September 2, 2015 at 11:06AM, Edited September 2, 11:13AM

Video Producer

The cost is higher and the wait was longer than what most hoped for (me included), but at least Panasonic is making it available for the GH4. It would have been a big disappointment if we had to buy the next GH camera to get it.

September 2, 2015 at 8:06AM

David Patterson
videographer/editor

F'ed again Canada ..... firmware upgrade not available yet.

September 2, 2015 at 1:11PM, Edited September 2, 1:11PM

stephen knifton
owner / creative director

It's only available as a pre-order right now, so I expect things to change by Sept 15th.
( I'm from Canukistan too )

September 2, 2015 at 2:07PM, Edited September 2, 2:07PM

Video Producer

just so you know: not available in canada. --- for sale, one gh4. email me back.

September 2, 2015 at 7:52PM

stephen knifton
owner / creative director

This is NOT true. Right now they don't have the pre-order available in Canada, but this camera upgrade will definitely made available around the middle of September.

If you are desperate to pre-order you can always order it from B&H Photo that has free shipping to Canada. I'm in Toronto, so items from B&H Photo generally take about 2-4 days to arrive from New York. ( you can always pay more to get it delivered overnight )

September 3, 2015 at 4:02AM, Edited September 3, 4:03AM

Video Producer

Vistek.ca has a pre-order page on their website for the GH4 V-log upgrade...

September 9, 2015 at 1:48PM

Video Producer

Do you guys really think this will not be hackable? ;)

September 3, 2015 at 4:14AM, Edited September 3, 4:14AM

Vladimir Miketa
Cinematographer & Editor

You would have to reverse engineer what is happening on the Panasonic Authentication server that will generate the code that will unlock V-log for your camera's specific serial number. Most likely everything is encrypted, so I think this will be a VERY tough nut to crack.

The bottom line for me is that I am happy to support Panasonic by giving them $100 for this new GH4 feature. I consider the V-log upgrade an absolute steal at only $100. It could have been a lot more.

September 3, 2015 at 8:27AM

Video Producer

I think sometimes we forget that the job is to tell a story. We have all seen beautiful images married to a horrible plot.

I personally love what Panasonic is doing. I hope they take my $100 and use it towards developing more tools that enhance my ability to captivate an audience.

My small business utilizes the GH4 as it's workhorse and every month it pays for itself over and over again. With that being said I have seen some fantastic work shot on the T3i and other cheap DSLR's.

V Log won't make your images better, only you can do that. As a DP I choose to focus on the composition of the image and how to create movement that matches the mood of the piece.

If all you think about when you shoot is the limitations of your devices, I think your doomed from the start.

#my1stpost!

September 3, 2015 at 9:36AM, Edited September 3, 9:36AM

Ron Saunders Jr
Producer / Filmmaker

It would be beneficial to have a policy for a company like Panasonic to offer all software upgrade for free as GH4 uses a bunch of free and open source softwares to make GH4 what it is today. Indeed, Panasonic should release their software for GH4 via distributable repository like github so that interested parties could customize the code and release new features. Else, a reverse engineer may release powerful software like Canon's magic lantern.

Software development does not involve as much R&D unlike hardware development. And any software which is based on GPL code should be released under the same code, that is the ethical side.

September 4, 2015 at 8:12AM, Edited September 4, 8:12AM

Zenny
Producer/Director/Writer/DoP/Editor

I've been working with VLog and it is definitely the real deal, and at $99 a no brainer. It's a gorgeous flat profile that can be pushed around in grading. This is the first post I've done with VLog. It's a glamour film I shot a day ago with my wife for our style blog. http://www.togetherinstyle.com/stories/sequens-a-fashion-film

ISO's range from 800-1600 with very harsh lighting in a dark room. Also it's at 96fps so there is compression, but still beautiful none the less.

Color wise it's like having a mini Alexa now. I simply used the Alexa Log C LUT in Color Finale and faded it to my taste. Nothing else was thrown at it in terms of grading. The two stops dynamic range increase is very real.

I'll be doing a lot of work with VLOG from here forward and sharing in content and posts on Together In Style.

September 5, 2015 at 4:49AM, Edited September 5, 4:49AM

Charles Maring
Photographer / Filmmaker

firmware 2.3 is here but vlog-L still says pre order. But the option is there to activate.

September 10, 2015 at 2:50AM, Edited September 10, 2:51AM

Mustafa Johnson
Director/Videographer/Editor

This is driving me crazy. It also seems like they are physically shipping the code! B&H also charges for this shipping and that will also take up to two weeks. If I did understand that right... Just stupid. Feels like the year 2000 when we used to buy games in cardboard boxes!

September 10, 2015 at 4:19AM

OK - I wasn't expecting to pay for this firmware upgrade. It wasn't touted as a paid option when Panasonic first started promoting VLog via social and review channels. OTOH Sony always said there 4K upgrade for the FS700 was going to be a paid option. I think this is why people are a bit miffed.
Not saying the upgrade isn't worth $US100 - just that communication has been poorly handled, which is par for the course with Panasonic.

September 15, 2015 at 11:41PM, Edited September 15, 11:41PM

IS ANYBODY ABLE TO DOWNLOAD THE FIRMWARE. I CANNOT FIND ANY REAL LINK THAT WORKS, EVEN FOR version 2.4

September 18, 2015 at 11:41AM, Edited September 18, 11:45AM