September 9, 2015

Sale Alert: The 4K Blackmagic URSA Is Now $1000 Off for a Limited Time

Blackmagic URSA
As Blackmagic's 4.6K URSA and URSA Mini get closer to market, the price of the original 4K URSA has dropped significantly, albeit for a limited time.

[UPDATE: We just got word that this is a limited time promotion from B&H, and not an official price drop from Blackmagic Design. No word yet on when this deal will come to an end, so if you're interested, it would be best to hurry. Sorry for the confusion, folks.]

With a price reduction of $1000 on B&H, the 4K Blackmagic URSA (EF mount) has been listed for just under $4000, while the the PL version costs $4500 — and it's the older UHD global shutter sensor, which has 12 stops of dynamic range and not-particularly-stellar lowlight performance. That said, it's still very much a studio camera, and in controlled lighting situations, the 4K URSA can produce some seriously nice images.

Blackmagic URSA
The camera also comes with a free gift when purchased from B&H: your choice of either Sony Vegas Pro 13 or Vegas Pro 13 Edit, which has all of the same editing features as the full Vegas Pro platform, but without some of the advanced audio mixing and DVD authoring features.

Lastly, it's been expected that Blackmagic's newer 4.6K sensor will start shipping sometime in mid-September, so hopefully this price drop is a sign that Blackmagic is about to unleash that sensor on the world, both in the form of the URSA Mini and the revamped original URSA.

No matter how many bad things you or anybody else say about BMD, you know you love them. They have gone so far in such a short period of time, it is actually impressive.

September 9, 2015 at 7:19PM

Edgar More
All

I totally agree, they have changed and grew more than any other camera manufacturer and they deserve a lot of credit for that.

September 10, 2015 at 6:15PM

Amir Azizi
Writer Director

I like the results I get from my BMPC 4K, and so do my clients. I like the wise choice of standard SSDs for storage, and Thunderbolt connectivity. The lack of HDMI is stupid, but we deal.

But now BlackMagic is taking steps backward. The switch to CFast is asinine. ~1 TB of raw-capable SSDs cost $700. The same amount of CFast costs $3000, and is not going to come down. Why won't it come down? Because there will never be consumer adoption of this format. It's way too big and wholly unnecessary for the paltry bitrates of consumer cameras. Everything else has standardized on flavors of SD, so CFast, in addition to being hugely overpriced, will likely have a short lifespan. And when you can't get these cards anymore, your camera's essentially useless.

If SSDs were suddenly unacceptable (WTF), BlackMagic should have implemented a RAID of SD cards.

September 10, 2015 at 7:52PM

David Gurney
DP
2000

I purchased a CBox which allows me to use SSDs via the CFast card slots on my Ursa. It was an additional cost up front ($500, or you can hack one yourself for about $250), but has already proven to be an invaluable tool when working with this camera.

October 1, 2015 at 12:53PM, Edited October 1, 12:54PM

I don't like this kind of cameras, because my job is making video blogging for YouTube... So I used a sony a6000 but I know bm is an company which has grow up very fast and every 6 moos give us very good news. Hurra!

September 9, 2015 at 9:32PM, Edited September 9, 9:32PM

Nelson Reyes
Youtuber

I have a few very specific gripes with this camera (from actually using it, not just reading specs). Other than the obvious weight issue which they've worked around with the mini and some form factor things, there are some ways the menu could be changed/revamped to make this much better.

Overall, I like the image it makes though and that is job number one.

September 9, 2015 at 9:48PM

Brooks Reynolds
Director/DOP

This would never really be my go to camera, but you have to admit that's a sweet deal if it fits your style.

September 9, 2015 at 9:59PM

Charles Duoto
Studio Floor Director

4.6 still gives you more dr and better framing options. Good price drop though. Some young indie boys can can excited about this!

September 9, 2015 at 11:53PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

Well the 4.6 is 2 grand more, plus you can always update this sensor down the line which is a plus about the Ursa body.

September 10, 2015 at 3:34AM

Stephen Herron
Writer/Director

true dat!

September 10, 2015 at 12:19PM

Kyle Lamar
Director Producer DP

The sale is also on the 4.6K version, you just have to pay the difference in sensor price.

September 10, 2015 at 7:41AM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

Hmmm, I guess Adorama has the same price drop (with a different free gift). Let's hope it sticks!

September 10, 2015 at 2:47AM

Donovan Vim Crony
Director, DP, Editor, VFX, Sci-Fi Lover

What they aren't telling anyone is that they are shipping the v1 Ursa. I bought one two weeks back (pre discount, no less) figuring that a year after release, I'd be getting one of the newer v2 models. That was not the case and sort of important to me. Thankfully, they don't want to have to process a return on my entire order which included much more than just this camera and what's needed to operate it. So...they will be locating one from the stock and will be replacing in the next week. At least that is what I was told when I hung up with Adorama Customer Service today.

I'd be happy with a $1000 discount on the sensor upgrade. LOL.

September 11, 2015 at 2:52PM, Edited September 11, 3:34PM

I'm wondering if there will be any better performance with the 4k Ursa Mini using the old production sensor in the new body. Less noise? No highlight clipping? I know the low light will be the same.

September 10, 2015 at 8:39AM

Vincent Gortho
none

Unlikely. The Ursa has a slightly more powerful electronics package, so there's no reason to expect the new Ursa Mini to outperform the older Ursa.

September 10, 2015 at 1:20PM

Guy McLoughlin
Video Producer

I prefer the URSA mini 4.6K to URSA, URSA is too heavy and the image quality and the color science behind the 4.6K sensor is far superior.

I really love the 4.6K images, it looks great and with good grading it can even compete with Alexa, but URSA 4K...not my favorite.

September 10, 2015 at 6:49PM, Edited September 10, 6:49PM

Amir Azizi
Writer Director

It never looks too yellow for you? I love the texture of raw on my pocket. but I'm constantly regulating the yellow highlights or blue shadows. wish it were just as neutral as the prores.

September 11, 2015 at 3:14AM, Edited September 11, 3:14AM

Vincent Gortho
none

So you buy the Ursa 4k for $4,000 and then buy the 4.6k turret upgrade for $2000. That puts you at $1000 cheaper than just buying the 4.6k Ursa outright at $7000. I'll be happy to do a work around to save $1k.

September 10, 2015 at 7:13PM