December 15, 2015

Want Interesting Flares? A Clear Lens Adapter Could Help

Though the Inter BEE show was a few weeks ago, a particularly interesting clear lens adapter from Technical Farm was on display in Japan. Here's News Shooter with the scoop:

Technical Farm showed off a number of different versions of this Flare Adapter at the show, including EF to E-Mount, PL to E-Mount, and an EF to EF teleconverter adapter. It's certainly an interesting idea if it ever comes to market — as Technical Farm was trying to gauge interest (though whether you could get it shipped to the US is another question).

Either way, it's a specialty adapter, but I'm of the opinion that flares tend to look a lot more realistic in-camera, especially those flares that you can get from lens whacking — which involves pulling the lens off the mount and holding it in front at different angles so light can leak in. This adapter essentially lets you lens whack without having to pull the lens off the camera, and you've got much more control over how it flares.

I would love to see an American company come out with something similar, as I could see a ton of use for this not necessarily in cinema, but in all sorts of creative videos where you need that little bit of something extra.

I have the impression that using After Effects Overlay-Mode with some recorded flary-stuff might yield the same results. If it's not happening in front of the lens, it's not a real flare but basically post-production ;))

December 15, 2015 at 3:06AM

Yo! I'm with you.

December 15, 2015 at 3:10AM, Edited December 15, 3:10AM

Szabolcs Pásztor (aka Scrabo Shepherd)
Pre- to Post-production artist

I was thinking the same thing.

This could be good for recording your own custom 'flarey stuff' elements, if you leave the lens cap on. Then comp them on after to regular footage.

December 15, 2015 at 6:13AM

Matt Carter
VFX Artist / Director / DP / Writer / Composer / Alexa Owner

I have the exact same feeling.

December 15, 2015 at 8:38AM

Might be worth mentioning, you don't need After Effects to do this. Pretty much any NLE has Overlay as a blend mode. You can use other blend modes for slightly different effects, too.

December 15, 2015 at 9:16AM

Richard Krall
richardkrall.com

This woman looks like self-destruction.

December 15, 2015 at 7:21AM

Csonka Olivér
Wannabe anyone

I think I'll stick to doing mine in post...
Matt, your idea about leaving the lens cap on sounds good though.

December 15, 2015 at 8:38AM, Edited December 15, 8:40AM

Ben McAllister
Compositor

Light leaks, not flares...

December 15, 2015 at 10:33AM

Ain't no flare if the light is not passing trough any optics.

December 15, 2015 at 11:07AM

t.
Colorist / Magician

Can't say I'm a huge fan. It's probably due to the shape of the adapter, but it seems like the way the light is positioned, the flare originates on the screen without having a natural light source and cuts off unnaturally (most prevalent at 1:43 and the 2:00 mark). That probably doesn't make sense, but I think I'm partial to the more natural lens flare look from in front of the lens where you can see what light it's coming from.

If it's the look you want, different strokes I guess, but I personally wouldn't spring for it if it's any more expensive than a regular adapter.

December 15, 2015 at 11:12AM, Edited December 15, 11:13AM

I think something like this should be gobo'd with tape to limit and be selective with the flare. Not have it fully open all around.

December 15, 2015 at 4:05PM, Edited December 15, 4:05PM

Interesting...for about the same price as a standard dumb adapter (about $5-6 on eBay), I'd get one. Maybe use clear acrylic (or even glass) to make it stronger?

December 15, 2015 at 7:32PM

Dremel + old adapter = same effect. (If you like it.) A good case for less is more.

December 17, 2015 at 9:18PM, Edited December 17, 9:18PM