Beyond breakfast tacos, SXSW Film was full of buzz. But one of the big questions on the table was what does being a "filmmaker" even mean today?
In this episode of Indie Film Weekly, me and my co-host, Ryan Koo, are fresh off the boat (or horse?) from the SXSW Film Festival in Austin, Texas. In our festival wrap-up, we bring tales of Audience Award winners; reactions to some of the festival films that we caught, including the Jury-Award-winning documentary TOWER; and all sorts of other filmmaker-worthy buzz and info from the ground. The very definition of films and filmmaking was being questioned throughout the fest, from the multi-hyphenate roles being taken on by noteworthy figures like the Duplass brothers and Ira Glass; to the blurring lines between TV, film and digital; to the emergence of VR and AR. We discuss what it means for those of us who are making...films?
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- Is Austin the New 'Center of Independent Filmmaking?’ Acclaimed Filmmakers Weigh In From SXSW [PODCAST]
- Why Ira Glass Hates Producing and Mike Birbiglia Cut Witty Lines in Improv Comedy 'Don't Think Twice'
- The Complete Mark Duplass Filmmaking Bible on Becoming a Successful Director (SXSW 2015)
- Modern Filmmakers Are 'Content Creators': How to Break into Digital TV
- Blackmagic is Finally Shipping the URSA Mini 4.6K & Micro Cinema Cameras, But Without Global Shutter
- Canon C500 Price Has Dropped to $10,000. Is An 8K Mark II Camera Coming?
- AJ-PX230 is Panasonic's Newest 1080p Handheld ENG Camera
- Final Packages and Pricing Announced for the 4K Panasonic VariCam LT Camera
- New Canon T6 Updates the Bottom End of the Rebel DSLR Camera Lineup
- Rough Draft Writing App
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
- Peter Dinklage's Rememory Project - Rolling
- MusicBed Film Initiative - April 4
- Bertha BRITDOC Connect Fund - April 18
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- Zero Film Festival LA - March 22
- San Antonio Film Festival - March 25
- 59th CINE Golden Eagle Awards for Independent & Emerging Media - March 25
- The Roxbury International Film Festival - March 26
- Women's Independent Film Festival (LA) - March 29
- Austin Film Festival - March 30 (earlybird)
- 10,000 Saints - Netflix - March 15
- Mojave - Amazon Prime Instant - March 22
- Midnight Special - March 19
- The Bronze - March 19
- Krisha - March 19
Please subscribe and rate us in iTunes, Soundcloud, or the podcasting app of your choice. You can play all of our interview podcasts from SXSW and special SXSW episodes Indie Film Weekly right here:
Video is no longer available: soundcloud.com/nofilmschool/sets/sxsw-2016
No Film School's coverage of the 2016 SXSW Film Festival is sponsored by SongFreedom.
But seriously...I want breakfast taco's now.
March 29, 2016 at 9:26AM