Beyond breakfast tacos, SXSW Film was full of buzz. But one of the big questions on the table was what does being a "filmmaker" even mean today?
In this episode of Indie Film Weekly, me and my co-host, Ryan Koo, are fresh off the boat (or horse?) from the SXSW Film Festival in Austin, Texas. In our festival wrap-up, we bring tales of Audience Award winners; reactions to some of the festival films that we caught, including the Jury-Award-winning documentary TOWER; and all sorts of other filmmaker-worthy buzz and info from the ground. The very definition of films and filmmaking was being questioned throughout the fest, from the multi-hyphenate roles being taken on by noteworthy figures like the Duplass brothers and Ira Glass; to the blurring lines between TV, film and digital; to the emergence of VR and AR. We discuss what it means for those of us who are making...films?
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- Is Austin the New 'Center of Independent Filmmaking?’ Acclaimed Filmmakers Weigh In From SXSW [PODCAST]
- Why Ira Glass Hates Producing and Mike Birbiglia Cut Witty Lines in Improv Comedy 'Don't Think Twice'
- The Complete Mark Duplass Filmmaking Bible on Becoming a Successful Director (SXSW 2015)
- Modern Filmmakers Are 'Content Creators': How to Break into Digital TV
- Blackmagic is Finally Shipping the URSA Mini 4.6K & Micro Cinema Cameras, But Without Global Shutter
- Canon C500 Price Has Dropped to $10,000. Is An 8K Mark II Camera Coming?
- AJ-PX230 is Panasonic's Newest 1080p Handheld ENG Camera
- Final Packages and Pricing Announced for the 4K Panasonic VariCam LT Camera
- New Canon T6 Updates the Bottom End of the Rebel DSLR Camera Lineup
- Rough Draft Writing App
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
- Peter Dinklage's Rememory Project - Rolling
- MusicBed Film Initiative - April 4
- Bertha BRITDOC Connect Fund - April 18
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- Zero Film Festival LA - March 22
- San Antonio Film Festival - March 25
- 59th CINE Golden Eagle Awards for Independent & Emerging Media - March 25
- The Roxbury International Film Festival - March 26
- Women's Independent Film Festival (LA) - March 29
- Austin Film Festival - March 30 (earlybird)
Video is no longer available: soundcloud.com/nofilmschool/sets/sxsw-2016
No Film School's coverage of the 2016 SXSW Film Festival is sponsored by SongFreedom.