The waterproof Splash Drone is not just an aerial drone; it's also aquatic.
SwellPro has come out with a drone that is a lot like other drones. It comes with GoPro, has a gimbal for smooth shooting, and will let you take to the air so you can capture beautiful images from incredible heights. But, this thing has one major difference from other UAVs; it floats.
Meet the Splash Drone, an aerial/semi-aquatic drone that allows users to drop it into any body of water and capture images from below thanks to its waterproof housing. Now, I say "semi-aquatic" because, no, it doesn't fly (swim?) underwater like a submarine drone (drone submarine?), but it does float and can withstand plenty of rain and water unlike many other drones out there.
- 100% waterproof frame and anti-corrosion, it is able to land and float on the water, even submerge in the water, fully workable in all weathers and all environments.
- It introduces the world's first waterproof 2-axis gimbal which support Gopro hero 3,3+ and 4.
- Waterproof fishing line release rig enables fast bait delivery over 1000km to the targeted location. The max payload capacity is up to 1kg. Also used for water rescue by deliverying lifesaving equipments.
- Nearly non-delay 1km video transmission through 5.8G, with high resolution 5'' FPV moinitor present live video feed as well as OSD of flight status.
- Dual GPS/glonass mode and serious sensors enable position holding, it is able to automatically land or return home to prevent accidental loss.
- Smart flight modes with ground station: waypoints/mission planning, tap to fly, circle flight and autonomou follow-me.
- Available by APP control on the android or IOS mobile device.
- High power system: 590KV waterproof motors, 40A ESC, 5200maH lipo battery and self-tightened full carbon fiber propellers.
- Aluminum case: Splash drone is stored in a compact, portable and durable aluminium case with all the accessories
The Splash Drone wasn't designed specifically for filmmakers. In fact, its Fisherman Version was made to help fishermen with long range fishing bait delivery. However, its Auto Version is designed for filmmakers, with features like GoPro support, 2-axis gimbal, and 5" FPV monitor.
Now, SwellPro says that this thing does submerge in the water, which is an exciting thing to read as a potential customer. However, being able to be submerged is not the same thing as cruising around underwater, capturing coral reefs and dolphins calculating pi. (They are extremely smart after all.) It can definitely withstand being flown into water at full speed, but remember, it floats, and turns itself back upright once it reaches the surface.
There are several different versions of the Splash Drone, but chances are filmmakers will only really be interested in the Auto Version, which retails out at $1600. To learn more, head on over to SwellPro's website to check out all of their sweet semi-aquatic drones.