May 11, 2017

Shogun Inferno Update Enables 120fps 4K RAW Recording

With today's update to firmware v8.3, Shogun Inferno owners will be able to record full 4K RAW at up to 120fps from the Sony FS5 and FS700 cameras.

With its latest firmware upgrade, Atomos is now enabling 4K raw recording at 120fps from the Sony FS700 and FS5 cameras on the Shogun Inferno. While both of those cameras only shoot such high frame rates in bursts, the approximately 3 second burst equates to around 15 seconds of footage after being slowed down 5 times in post to 24fps, which should be plenty of time for most slow motion shots.

Combined with the added resolution of 4K and the color fidelity and post flexibility of raw, this is an exciting upgrade. Working with burst mode is actually quite common with slow motion work, as seen with the process for working with the Phantom, though obviously that camera offers much higher frame rates.

Quad link SDI connectorsCredit: Atomos

This feature was already available with the Convergent Design 7Q+, but that monitor/recorder is $1799 and costs another $500 to add RAW, whereas the Shogun Inferno comes in at $1295 including full RAW recording. This firmware also upgrades quad link connectivity and dual link connectivity for a variety of cameras that might not give the full 4K RAW single over single like SDI, and comes with a secure erase feature for your SSD. Secure erase ensures that media is entirely erased from the drive and cannot be recovered in any way from the media, which will be especially helpful in rental situations to ensure that the next person to rent your Shogun won't be able to access your shots.

Available now for download from Atomos.

Quad link-capable cameras:

• AJA CION
  • Canon C700
  • Panasonic Varicam 35
  • RED DCSM1 with REDCast Module - Epic & Scarlet Dragon (Mysterium X not supported)
  • Sony PMW-F55

Dual link-capable cameras:

• Canon C500 2Kp60
  • Panasonic Varicam LT - 10bit Dual Link RAW

Secure Erase media:

• Sandisk Extreme Pro
  • Atomos branded Gtech media
  • Atomos branded Angelbird media

love this update, hopefully they can also implement a raw signal pass through on the sdi or hdmi

May 12, 2017 at 6:42AM

A simple question. It records 120fps burst RAW to CDNG or to 10bit Prores? The problem with Atomos is not actually record CDNG files. They should say: read signal 12bit RAW at 120fps but records at 10bit Prores. As a consumer I don't care if the recorder can read RAW 16bit @ 240fps or whatever, I need to know the output the recorder give me to use. And 10bit Prores is Wwwaaaayyyy low quality them 12bit CDNG RAW files. So the question is simple. Can Shogun Inferno output the RAW camera files as CDNG from the burst 120fps?

June 4, 2017 at 7:55AM, Edited June 4, 7:55AM

Tom V
CEO Velocity Studios | Since 1998

I have bought this recorder especially to be able to record and also playback 2K in native 120fps (because 120fps playback is announced in manual). Inferno is able to capture content, but it plays back it via 3G-SDI only (60fps max.). Moreover support of manufacturer is terrible :-(
Do you know any solution able to playback native 120fps?

July 3, 2017 at 12:13PM

Jiri Vykydal
CCO

Finding it funny all the articles list the Cion,...

Atomos DO NOT support the Aja Cion Raw Output.

It might be worth an article on Raw Bit Depth from Canon, Panasonic, Sony, Arri, Aja and Kinefinity to understand why.

But, be ready, if you ask the PR People the right questions, you get blocked from Atomos's social media.

November 20, 2017 at 5:22PM

Stewart Fairweather
Cinematographer

Maybe someone here can help me with this. I am trying to record 4k 120fps with my Sony FS5 and Shogun Inferno. I have both the high frame rate and raw upgrades for the FS5.

The problem is that when I have set everything to record 4k 120fps super slow motion, the recorder switches to the correct 4k 119fps, but then after I record a clip, it shows up in playback as 4k 60fps. I tried every combination of settings I could think of with no luck. I'm using a laird sdi cable and a sandisk ultra II ssd to record to the shogun. even when I look at the details of the recordings on my computer, the footage shows up as 4k 60fps and not 120fps. Even if the playback would play it back at a slower frame rate, that would be fine, but it is labeled as 60fps, and seems to playback at 60fps as well.

Also, when I press S&Q again and switch to 1080 240fps, that seems to record perfectly and plays back correctly. Has anyone had or solved these issues?

April 18, 2018 at 10:28PM

Hey !
I have exactly the same adventure and problem with the same set ... I have HFR and RAW installed on FS5 and turned on everything as shown by Atomos on the instructions on the movie ... RAW 2K in 240 fps works, and RAW 4K in 120 fps already Unfortunately, not ... The colored stripes on the Atomos show up, the orientation of the view from top to bottom changes, the recording lasts only a few seconds and saves only 60 fps ... sdi cables have good produced in Japan under 12G bought in a good store for the production of television . Maybe it's a fault that we're using SanDisk ULTRA II 960GB SSD instead of EXTREME PRO 960GB ??? Have you already explained your friend what was the reason, you know something more? Thanks for the help Bart !

July 5, 2018 at 6:06PM, Edited July 5, 6:06PM