September 19, 2014

The Sony FS700 is Now Just $6,000

With the announcement of the FS7 for just $8,000, there was no question we'd see some price drops on the previous camera in this range, the FS700, and you can now grab the older camera for $6,000

While it's also capable of high frame rates and RAW, the FS700 can't do internal 10-bit 4K as the FS7 can, so there is a clear differentiation between the two products. But the FS700 has a few tricks up its sleeve. With the Odyssey 7Q from Convergent Design, you can not only record 4K RAW out of the FS700, but with a new update coming soon, you'll be able to get 4K ProRes. That is in addition to 4K to HD ProRes and 2K RAW already available with the recorder and FS700 license.

There is a huge increase in quality for this camera once a recorder like the 7Q is added, as you can see in these videos (the first we shared previously in a guest post):

You can also get a free Metabones to Canon EF adapter (non Speed Booster) if you buy a new FS700 and go through the Sony rebate process (though this is the older Mark II version).

How much it was? US$ 8.000? I forgot.

September 19, 2014 at 9:49PM, Edited September 19, 9:49PM

why in the heck is this getting cheaper, as the fs100 is too, but the Sony NEX-EA50uh is still the same price?!

September 19, 2014 at 9:55PM, Edited September 19, 9:54PM

As for me personally, the FS700 with the 7Q is still an awesomely high quality solution that's offered at reasonable cost with a high value. I don't think the fs700 is done for just because of the FS7.

September 20, 2014 at 1:13AM, Edited September 20, 1:13AM

Dantly Wyatt
Musical Comedy & Content Creator.

The pricedrop kinda dissapoints. Maybe I was just expecting too much from it. If you buy this with the recorder you are spending more than just buying the FS7. No, you don't need the recorder, and you can buy the cam now and recorder in a few years or so...but still the price difference of 2k would, for me, mean I'd just have to save a little longer and get the FS7 instead.

September 20, 2014 at 3:58AM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

For 9K you get more capability than the bare-bones FS7. Only advantage of the FS7 is internal codec + ergonomics, whether they're worth 2-3K for you is personal.

September 20, 2014 at 7:05AM

Ebrahim Saadawi
Director, Physician (Radiologist)

Aye, but for 9k you get the maximum you will probably ever get out of the FS700. The FS7 on the other hand will probably still see quite a decent ammount of updates, and the expension pack that adds in new possibilities. For a little more money your gear will probably last a good few extra years when investing in the FS7 over the FS700. At least, thats how I see it. Please correct me if im wrong.

September 20, 2014 at 8:10AM

Jeroen Rommelaars
Animator - Videographer - Motion Tracking

Good note on expected market value, yes the FS7 will hold better resale value in the future I believe and will become quite popular. If I am buying I would go for the FS7, but that's because I can afford it and I value the ergonomic difference, but for someone who has a maximum budget of 9K, this is still a smashing camera, only behind the FS7 in ergonomics.

September 20, 2014 at 11:00AM

Ebrahim Saadawi
Director, Physician (Radiologist)

Yeah mate but understand that the FS7 has a new sensor with improvements in terms of low noise and color rendition. Plus the ergonomics and a proper viewfinder because the top lcd in the FS700 is a joke.

If you already have it, but otherwise purchase a new camera with new tech seems like a wiser idea from the investment POV.

September 21, 2014 at 1:14AM

Isaac Alonzo
Photographer / Cinematographer

FS700 + 7Q + 2 x 256gb media = $9100
4K Raw (frame rates??), 4K ProRes, 2K Raw (240fps)

FS7 + 2 x 64gb media = $8600
4K XAVC (60fps), 2K XAVC (180fps)

For my uses, the FS700 offers more of what I'm looking for. But they're both very good cameras for the price. F7 will gradually replace the C300 in broadcast, IMO.

September 20, 2014 at 10:24AM, Edited September 20, 10:24AM

Ben Howling
Writer / Director

Agreed. Also if you want pro res out of the fs7, you'd need to add the additional cost of that hardware that enables the cam to record pro res. Plus for me, I need at least a 7 inch external monitor anyway. With the fs700 you get that with the recorder when you get a 7Q that also records pro res now. The fs700 is still providing great value.

September 20, 2014 at 12:53PM

Dantly Wyatt
Musical Comedy & Content Creator.

It was also announced that the upcoming Atomos Shogun is going to support the FS700, so who knows what we might be able to get out of that.

September 21, 2014 at 4:12PM

Kaster Troy
Director, DP, Editor

That's uncompressed raw. You'll need WAY more than 512gb on any given day. It's simply not practical.

August 4, 2015 at 10:53PM