November 1, 2017

Panasonic is Back in the Ring as EVA1 Ships

EVA1
Customers are about to get their hands on arguably the most anticipated camera of the fall. And we can't wait.

This fall has been a hot one for cameras, with new Monstro sensors from RED and the C200 from Canon for video makers and the Nikon 850 and A7R Mark III keeping still photographers happy. However, the most anticipated camera of all, at least around here, has been the EVA1 from Panasonic, and the company has hit its shipping date (which is more than can be said for some others on this list) with units going out this week.

Credit: Charles Haine

Why is the EVA1 so highly anticipated? While it has some specifications that are sure to please (dual native ISO that isn't quite as fast as the Varicam, but will be a good color match, 5.7K raw resolution, and a low 2.6lb weight), the real excitement is Panasonic returning to a space it used to absolutely dominate. First with the DVX100 and then the HVX-200, the "sub-$10,000 video camera that does professional quality narrative work" belonged to Panasonic.

Panasonic owned the market for a few years.Credit: Sharegrid

Then came the 5D Mark II and everything changed. Big sensors became vital, the market shifted virtually overnight, and Panasonic simply didn't pivot fast enough. While Canon was slow to accept the market it had created, within a few years it had introduced the C-line while Panasonic still hadn't adapted to the change. Just in the last few years, with the full sized Varicam and Varicam LT, we've seen a big uptick in Panasonic productions at the high end, and the EVA1 is highly anticipated by indie filmmakers who are on the lookout for a small, light camera that can easily fly in a gimbal or drone, but can also provide the high quality color and low light performance we get from the Varicam. Build quality, well-designed user experience, and color accuracy are the hallmarks that so many operators loved about Panasonic for so long, and finally the company has a real contender in the space.

Credit: Panasonic

EVA1 is a story not just because we're excited about the camera (because we are), it's also amazing because it's a cinematic redemption tale. It's a comeback story, and we're suckers for a comeback story. We won't know for a few months how the EVA1 stacks up against the C200, or the now-looking-old FS7 Mark II. We don't know who will win the fight. But Panasonic is back in the ring, and that's exciting enough. In the meantime, you can check out this behind-the-scenes video from our favorite of the pre-release demo films, Rocket 88.

Shipping now (hooray!), order yours at B&H today for $7,345. NOTE: B&H still says "pre-order" on their site, but we have confirmed with Panasonic that orders are shipping to vendors, so expect that to change soon.

Tech Specs:

• 5.7K (5720 x 3016) Super 35 CMOS sensor
  • Dual native ISO
  • 4K 60p, 2K 240p
  • V-log & V-gamma
  • Up to 400 Mbps internal data rates
  • 4:2:2 10 bit internal codec
  • ND filter wheel (2/4/6 stops)
  • EF mount, EIS capable
  • SD card recording
  • XLR Audio
  • Touch panel LCD
  • HDMI & SDI outputs

I think there is a huge opportunity for Panasonic in the $4000-5000 range. This camera should probably fall in that price point imho. Especially in a world where the Ursa Mini Pro exists. Based on what I'ved seen, the image quality isn't any better than the GH5. Sony is overpriced, they will always be overpriced. As a GH5 owner, what am I gaining by spending and addition $5000+?? Not much. I have 4K 60p, I have ND filters (circular), I have Super35 (speedbooster) I have V-LOG, I have 400mbps internal, I have 180fps...

November 1, 2017 at 2:45PM

i certainly would rather own the EVA1 than the GH5. Perhaps I’ll sell my GH5 and get it, or my other option is spending that money on better glass and keeping my GH5.

November 1, 2017 at 3:39PM, Edited November 1, 3:39PM

John Haas
Cinematographer

I have the Voigtlander Nokton set for m4/3 (10.5mm, 17.5mm, 25mm and 42.5mm), I think they produce a beautiful image. However, there is something to be said for showing up to a project with a camera that LOOKS like a "real" camera. People tend to take you more seriously.

November 1, 2017 at 3:54PM, Edited November 1, 4:05PM

Which is stupid, but true. I hate using a cage/rig on my Gh cameras, but I own one just for that reason. Never use it for things like weddings, but build it up when I go to corporate shoots, even though it's a pain in the ass. a cage, rods and a matte box make it look imposing enough that I've never had it questioned.

November 2, 2017 at 7:20PM

Amen! Agree 100%

are you using the metabones speedbooster? If not, what are you using? I am suffering from one lens syndrome on my gh5 and it's a kit lens, hard to deal with a 40-140 on a M4/3.

November 1, 2017 at 3:43PM

Nathan Karimi
Writer/ Director

It all depends on what you are shooting and what you need.

You can always get away with cropped sensors and small dlsr bodies.

But if you needed mounts, sync audio, xlr, to put the monitor off camera, better native iso, extra resolution for down sampling.

At $8,000 and about 3 pounds that is insane.

Sure the URSA has raw, but I personally would want the lighter camera with better resolution that will be more sharp when needed.

November 2, 2017 at 6:08AM

Kyle Dockum
Videographer and Editor

What I miss about the great camcorders of old was they were all-in-one work horses that let you shoot without a million bulky add-ons or without a huge support crew. So while this looks like a fine camera, it has no touch focus, no PDAF, and no five axis stabilization (only "electronic"), that's not a good enough one man band camera for 8000 dollars in 2017.

November 1, 2017 at 11:35PM

J Robbins

To be fair, none of the "great cameras of old" had those either.

I think the real issue is no EVF and a monitor that can't be seen when shooting in outdoor sun. So yeah this camera is light and compact, but it is missing key components that make it usable.

November 2, 2017 at 1:59AM

Derek Doublin
Director, Cinematographer, Large Scale Artist

Amen.

Cameras aren't usable outdoors without EVFs. Plenty of BlackMagic owners learned that the hard way.

November 13, 2017 at 6:29AM, Edited November 13, 6:29AM

David Gurney
DP

Absolutely don't want to be a spoiled brat as there are loads of amazing options of course, but the camera has only been disappointing for me. The dual ISO is pretty meaningless, the noise looks the same as 2500iso on my GH5. Shooting docs with a Canon c-series camera means you can bump up the ISO to 10000 or so and still have great footage, so that rules out using the EVA1 for a doc to me. Then there's narrative, which most people will still rent a RED or similar. It's a big jump in price to put some internal ND's and better inputs/outputs onto an image which is very similar to the GH5, albeit with a bit more dynamic range.

Then I've heard that the screen just isn't usable and an aftermarket EVF or screen is essential. So all in all it feels like it occupies a weird place in the market, and won't gain much ground from work normally catered for by the FS7/C300ii.

November 2, 2017 at 9:05AM

Liam Martin
DP, editor, part time director