July 25, 2017

Nikon Announces D850 Full-Frame DSLR: 'It Will Exceed Expectations'

Nikon has announced the full-frame D850, the successor to the D810.

Just in time for its 100th anniversary, Nikon has unveiled development plans for a new monster DSLR FX camera. The Nikon D850 is the successor to the 36.3-megapixel, full-frame Nikon D810, released in 2014.

Nikon did not reveal exact specs for the D850. However, the company did publish a sample of the camera's stunning 8K timelapse capabilities. The official release promises "a range of new technologies, features, and performance enhancements that are a direct result of feedback from users over the years who demand the very best from their camera equipment....it will exceed expectations."

At this time, it's anyone's guess as to which of the features users have been asking for will make it into the final build. Will the Nikon D850 actually have 45MP? Will it provide the ability to record video in 4K? Will it have built-in WiFi and in-body stabilization? Is the sensor curved? Does it feature the same auto-focus system found in the Nikon D5? Will it get an articulating rear LCD to make recording video more convenient?

We'll be sure to let you know as soon as Nikon releases more information. According to rumors, you can expect a ship date sometime in September.

I have high hopes for the Nikon D850.

I used the D800 to shoot a feature-length instructional video, and I was extremely happy with the results. With the camera's clean-HDMI out, I patched it into an Atomos Ninja 2 and recorded 10-bit ProRes 4:22 HQ to SSDs.

The ability to shoot 10-bit full-HD video internally would be great for the D850. Nikon would probably have to make it 4K-capable to compete in the current marketplace, though.

Even 2K would be great for the small form factor of a Nikon, which does offer some of the best lenses available.

July 25, 2017 at 5:00PM, Edited July 25, 5:00PM

Glenn Bossik
Videographer

Except that the D800 and all other DSLRs only output 8bit... so your recording to the Ninja, while 10bit - is still only using what the camera feeds it - which is 8bit 4:2:2. Now of course - this is still much better than the highly compressed internal 8bit 4:2:0 - but if you want 10bit video then you need a pro film camera.

July 25, 2017 at 11:42PM

Scott Selman
Content Creator | Filmmaker | Producer

You make a good point, Scott.

Admittedly, I would have had more latitude for color corrections and grading if I had true 10-bit footage. But, for my project -- an instructional video -- the ProRes footage I captured worked well.

I'd definitely like to use a higher-end camera like the Red or Arri on my next project, though.

However, if Nikon does some truly innovative things with the D850, I would consider it, too.

July 27, 2017 at 1:17PM, Edited July 27, 1:17PM

Glenn Bossik
Videographer

Dear Nikon,
Please give me all the things I want in one flawless package so I don't have to switch to some inferior platform for my multimedia needs.
Sincerely,
A frustrated loyal customer

July 25, 2017 at 5:53PM

Scott Youngblood
Sr. Multimedia Developer

It might be 4K, the sample video posted to youtube says shot with D850 and the highest resolution I can see of the posted video is 2560x1440. : ) I hope it has at least 4:2:2 10-bit internal, with a decent codec and high bit-rate. And no record duration limitations.

July 26, 2017 at 12:40AM, Edited July 26, 12:41AM

Ron Marvin
Director of Photography

8K time lapse? That's just a bunch of still frames shot at 35MP strung together. I mean it's beautiful, but literally any camera that shoots 35MP can do that. And of course, for video, 4K is probably adequate anyway.

July 26, 2017 at 10:51AM

Sandy Chase
Producer/DP/Editor

These days, the only thing that matters is price. If they announce it and it turns out to have everything a filmmaker needs and wants, but it's priced at $10k, then I don't care. You know what I mean? The new stuff will always have the latest upgrades, the only revolutionary attribute will be, who will Nikon make it available to.

July 26, 2017 at 8:49PM

Seth Burke
Director/Editor

July 27, 2017 at 2:51PM

Joseph Arant
Writer

12 bit compressed raw/ h265 would get me to look in nikons direction again. Why tip-toe?

July 28, 2017 at 2:33AM

Vincent Gortho
none

I had one of these sent to me from B&H to test out and review and I was throughly impressed. It took about an hour for me to get comfortable with the camera (I am a canon shooter) but after figuring it out I am beyond impressed. Super sharp high res images that even my talent said was much better. And this is with a camera I am unfamiliar with. They truly made a world-class camera with this one.

January 3, 2018 at 6:11PM