The First Feature is a step-by-step guide on how to get your first feature made, using my new Netflix Original Film Amateur (out Friday!) as a case study.
Click the play button on the Soundcloud player above to listen.
In this episode, we get into:
- Whether or not your short should be a proof-of-concept for a feature
- How to make production manageable and cost-effective for a short film
- Auditioning, casting, and finding crew for a short without a lot of personal connections
- How much money do you need to make your short?
- Production prep - to storyboard or not to storyboard?
- What you can learn from making a short
- Troubleshooting the “Murphy’s Law of Filmmaking”
- How and when to distribute your short
Here's the short film Amateur:
Here's the trailer for the feature Amateur. Watch it Friday on Netflix!
14-year-old basketball phenom Terron Forte has to navigate the under-the-table world of amateur athletics when he is recruited to an elite NCAA prep school.
Amateur stars Michael Rainey Jr., Sharon Leal, Ashlee Brian, Corey Parker Robinson with Brian White and Josh Charles. The film is written and directed by Ryan Koo and produced by Jason Michael Berman, Chip Hourihan and Mark Moran with Michael Finley, Tony Parker, Jill Ahrens, Ryan Ahrens, Ben Renzo and Caroline Connor serving as executive producers. The film will premiere on Netflix on April 6, 2018.