Netflix Nabs the Obamas & A Major Week for RED [PODCAST]
In this episode of Indie Film Weekly not one, not two, but three big announcements from RED.
Jon Fusco, Erik Luers, Charles Haine, and yours truly, Liz Nord discuss the quiet indie making a loud noise at the international box office and why now is the time to pitch your high-concept horror film, as well as Netflix’s newest independent filmmakers: Barack and Michelle Obama. We also say a sad goodbye to master movie poster designer Bill Gold and literary titan Philip Roth, who both passed away this week. In gear news, RED’s on a hot streak with three big announcements this week. Charles also answers an Ask No Film School question about the difference between LUTs, color grading plugins, and dedicated color grading software. Plus, Wim Wenders on narrowing down his 8-hour rough cut of Pope Francis - A Man of His Word.
As always, the show also brings news you can use about gear, upcoming grant and festival deadlines, this week’s indie film releases, industry wisdom, and other notable things you might have missed while you were busy making films.
Listen to the episode by streaming or downloading from the embedded player above, or find on iTunes here.
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- Why a Letter from the Vatican Led to Unprecedented Access for a Wim Wenders Doc on the Pope
- 'Cargo' Prostheticist Larry Van Duynhoven on How to Break the Zombie Movie Stereotype
- HBO's 'The Tale': Director Jennifer Fox on Why 'There is Nothing in Documentary Like Directing Fiction'
- 'Lady Bird': Greta Gerwig on Why a Screenwriter's Job is to Listen as Much as to Write
- Aspiring TV Writer? This NBC Program Will Prep You for the Writers' Room
- Get Faster With Resolve Shared Workflow
- Everything We Learned at the RED Hydrogen One Sneak Peek
- RED's Big Price Cut and Simplified Product Line Make Your Camera Choices Easier
- RED Teams with Lucid for a 3D Camera That Will Deliver in Its New H4V Format
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
- Points North Institute Fellowship - May 25
- Points North Institute Shortform Editing Residency - May 25
- Writers on the Verge - May 31
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- Indie Memphis Festival - May 28
- The 45th Annual Student Academy Awards - June 1
- Santa Fe Independent Film Festival - June 4
- Cargo - Now available
- The Tale - May 26