Jon Fusco, Erik Luers, Charles Haine, and yours truly, Liz Nord discuss why you might be able to skip having your film on Netflix in favor of launching your own streaming service. We also discuss a new study on film critics and what it means for production funding, and say a sad goodbye to Blockbuster Video. In gear news, the MacBook Pro sort of wins us back. Charles also answers an Ask No Film School question about why you should buy a stills camera to shoot video.
As always, the show also brings news you can use about gear, upcoming grant and festival deadlines, this week’s indie film releases, industry wisdom, and other notable things you might have missed while you were busy making films.
Listen to the episode by streaming or downloading from the embedded player above, or find on iTunes here.
Show Links & Mentions
No Film School articles
- You Can Now Launch Your Own Version of Netflix—Here's How
- 'Blindspotting': Daveed Diggs and Carlos López Estrada on Their New Oakland Classic
- Are You an Arty Weirdo Making Weird Art? There's a Fund for Your Films Now
- How a Filmmaker Used 'Radical Directing' to Turn Realism into an Unbearable Horror-Thriller
- 'The Boy Downstairs': How Sophie Brooks Avoided Crucial First-Time Director Mistakes
- DP Frankie DeMarco Thinks DPs Should Experiment with Format: 'Be a Slave to the Movie'
- 'Strong Island': Yance Ford Breaks the Silence on His Brother's Death in Oscar-Nominated Doc
- 'City of Ghosts' Director Matthew Heineman: 'Your Camera Should Be Part of Who You Are'
- 'You Can't Write This Sh*t': The Evolution of the Doping Doc 'ICARUS'
- Spielberg: Behind the Scenes with the World’s Most Famous Filmmaker
- Inside the Edit Room of the Eight-Hour Netflix Series ‘Wild Wild Country’
- 'Your Job Is to Protect the Show' and More Tips from Top TV Editors
- Media Composer Gets a Live Timeline and 16K Support
- Speed Up Post-Production with the New Blackmagic GPU Expander
- The MacBook Pro Gets a Serious Upgrade
Upcoming Deadlines: Grants & Opportunities
- Slamdance Screenplay Competition - July 23
- Visions Sud Est Fund - July 31
- Radical Film Fund - August 17
Upcoming Deadlines: Festivals
- National Film Festival for Talented Youth 2018 - July 20
- Victoria Film Festival - July 26
- Philadelphia Film Festival - July 27
- How To Talk To Girls At Parties - July 24
- The Boy Downstairs - July 19
This episode of Indie Film Weekly was produced and edited by Jon Fusco.