He recently edited the film, BlackBerry, the story of the meteoric rise and catastrophic demise of the world's first smartphone. This doc-style film, which was released in May 2023, perfectly captures the chaos of business.
In today’s episode, No Film School’s GG Hawkins speaks with editor Curt Lobb to discuss:
- Starting his career in the industry as an assistant camera operator
- How he got his first paid editing jobs
- What it was like being an assistant editor on The Dirties
- Giving a frantic feeling to the film, BlackBerry, in the edit
- Curt’s approach to editing a scene
- Meshing different emotions like humor and anxiety
- Using your own instincts in the edit before getting the director’s feedback
- What is was like editing in an old train station
- Special shortcut keys he loves to use in editing
- Going into a project with respect for the story you are telling
- Knowing the right time for a joke or not
Subscribe to the No Film School Podcast on:
Listen to more episodes of the No Film School podcast right here:
This episode of The No Film School Podcast was produced by GG Hawkins.