In 2018, Sony launched the Alpha Female line. Now in 2021, they’ve added a “+” to the newest iteration of their lady-creatives residency, which comes with more grants for more filmmakers.
Who is this for? Female filmmakers over 18 who live in the United States or Canada. (And also female photographers too, but we won’t hold it against them.) How do you get the cash and gear? You send in some details about who you are and a description of your next video project. If you are one of the 12 filmmakers selected, you’ll get $8,000 in cash and gear!
Why this grant?
“In a year of firsts for everyone, we had several of them too, not the least of which was the launch of Alpha Female+, the latest evolution of our Alpha Female Creator-in-Residence program that began in 2018,” explained Sony’s Michaela Ion.
“If you’re new to Alpha Female, here is the view from above: Our lives are richer when we can see the world through different perspectives. In the photography and video industry there’s a substantial disparity in gender and minority representation, which means some perspectives don’t see the light of day and we’re the poorer for it. Alpha Female was created to help close the gap and make our industry an environment where all voices have an opportunity to thrive.”
Check out the contest video here.
Sound interesting? Let’s take a look at what’s at stake in the prize breakdown from Sony:
- A $5,000 grant to fund a specific, well-defined project
- A full-frame Sony camera and lens (value of $3,000+) to shoot your project
- A one-year full Adobe Creative Cloud All Apps subscription, courtesy of our friends at Adobe (value of $636), to edit your project
- A one-year Sony PRO Support membership and a training session with a Sony Pro Support expert so you can make the most of your gear
- The opportunity to have your project featured on AlphaUniverse.com and Sony Alpha social channels
If this sounds exciting to you, let’s dive into the rest of the details.
First off, the deadline is May 2, 2021.
Secondly, here is the list of the three main criteria for submission from Sony Alpha Female+.
- An introduction video about yourself on Youtube or Vimeo. According to Sony, the big requirement here is that you are on-camera and not doing a voice-over.
- A proposal describing your project. You have 500 words to explain how you would use the money and gear for a project that can be completed within one month
- A video reel of your work.
If you feel like you need more info to put together your application, there is even a free workshop about the grant on April 15. According to Sony:
“The Alpha Female+ contest is an opportunity not to be missed. Join us to learn about the program, the 12 grants, and how to make the most of your application. Get live answers from the program leader, as well as Artisans Brooke Shaden and Tomayia Colvin, and previous grant winners.”
Just visit the Alpha Female+ page to sign up. If you have multiple ideas, know that you can apply once a month with a new idea. And applications are open until the final grant is awarded!
If you do apply, good luck!