Superproducer Ted Hope on...

October 3, 2011

How to Create a Photo-Video Hybrid 'Cinemagraph'

Animated GIFs have grown up. This happened a few months ago, but I missed the buzz, so as featured on the photo blog From Me to You, here's how to create photo/video hybrids that will make you forget the dithered .gifs of yore. This seems relevant given the increasing hybridization of still and motion photography, and the resulting stills -- though some work better than others -- certainly do stand out on the page. Here's a tutorial on creating a so-called "cinemagraph" using Adobe Photoshop and After Effects:

This is actually a much more complicated version than a basic cinemagraph would require, with his use of mesh warp to get the different shots to match.

Link: How to make a Cinemagraph with Photoshop and After Effects - VFX Haiku

Why do you troll? If you don't like it go make your own site.

October 3, 2011

Abersouth

Is it trolling if he comes here regularly for cinema information, and finds something that, to some, amounts to little more than an internet gimick?

October 4, 2011

I think this post is more than fitting for a blog that covers DIY stuff, and calling something pseudo-artsy tumblr trash qualifies as trolling.

October 4, 2011

This needs to be called out as trash. Not only is it about web design, but the video lies when it says it was invented only in the last few weeks.

Seriously, people like me were using these techniques for ANIM5 and Animated GIF files from the late eighties. The only difference, was we did not have the luxury of having digital video as a source file. This video does not even discuss the weaknesses of the AnimGIF format which is knowledge lost to the last two or three generations of pseudo computer artists/animators. Simply, if you plan your animation well, you can set it up to be 70KB as opposed to 700KB. Knowing your file formats makes your page load faster.

October 14, 2011

Bunny

Sheesh guys! Not every post can be everything to everyone... SOME have found this interesting and that's pretty much all I hope for with any post.

October 4, 2011

Ryan Koo
Founder
Writer/Director

I hope you will keep posting interesting tips like this, because this is one of the reasons I read your blog :-)

October 4, 2011

santoro

This is one of the best sites, he gives us info.. not for all every time.. but something for some one.
And starting to posting shit on the site/blog.. is low. Every week i look forward to his mail, and he answer me also on my request on vimeo and mails.. Great site, great guy and fantastic attitude.. Thanks Koo

October 6, 2011

Jonny Pedersen

I'm glad for this post, its really interesting trick (I think it belongs here). I just dont get it why the author of the tutorial combined photograph with the video. It would be more easier to shoot video only and export still image from it....

October 4, 2011

santoro

Maybe it's a gimmick, but it's out there being used in the industry. Therefore, I want to make it my business to know it.

Thanks.

October 5, 2011

moebius22

I think this videos mean! All the stuff you post on here Koo I read, as in my opinion everything is just as important as the other, especially when im only learning the tricks of the trade. I want to know as much as possible so when I leave school and get into the industry I can be ahead of all the guys my age.

October 6, 2011

Latham Arnott

Great video. Thanks

October 6, 2011

Ron

This will actually be great for video projects I do for live performances. I found this article very useful. Thanks!

October 6, 2011

LJV

People who can't see the value in using stills, after effects and photoshop in their video work are probably going to be confined to remaining trolls rather than creative users of gear or info.

October 6, 2011

Wesley Dumont

Thanks for posting this. Good stuff, but making a really cool and artsy cinemagraph would seem to me to require elements that might be moving but don't and then just select elements that move - or perhaps elements that move that should not while other logically moving elements are still.

So using a gigantic building as a backdrop and showing window washers moving in front of it is artistic how? Heck just shoot video and the window washers will move and the buildings aren't going anywhere (I promise). Wish he had used a better example. But looks easy enough. Time to shut up and try to make one myself. :)

Thanks again Koo

October 7, 2011

I totally agree with Dwayne. It's a very interesting technique, and some examples from the original photo site are very illustrative of it's potential, but the tutorial itself didn't seem particularly thought out. And for someone like me, who's not that proficient in AE, it really wasn't that helpful, sadly.
Still, great post, Koo. It just got me interested enough to research further.

October 7, 2011

Daniel

I am with Dwayne and Daniel. As soon as he said, "I didn't really think this out" and "I didn't shoot video" I tuned out. The idea is nice, but it overcomplicated the process. A still and some video (or a pulled frame from the video) is what you need and he didn't have that so he faked it.

I do appreciate the idea of spreading new techniques, but this time the tut was a little lacking.

Otherwise, keep up the good work and thanks for your posts, Koo.

October 7, 2011