I'm a bit uncomfortable with how camera-focused this site has been over the past couple of weeks, but there's so much going on it's hard to keep up! That's one reason I'm hiring more writers (I'll be closing down the application in a day or two). Here's some more camera news, though: ARRI has released Software Update 5 for their ALEXA, which brings 120 FPS recording to the camera along with several other new features (list below). To help ARRI demonstrate what 120fps looks like, I decided to grow my hair out and take up juggling. Check out my favorite vest:
To shoot at 120FPS on the ALEXA, which uses 4:2:2 HQ ProRes, you must use the latest/fastest Sony SxS Pro 64 GB cards, which run two grand apiece. And here I was thinking that the 64GB REDMAG SSD was expensive at $950! Sony's SxS media is more than twice as expensive per gigabyte. Then again, by my calculations 4:2:2 HQ ProRes takes up less than half the space of REDCODE 6:1 (SCARLET's default compression setting at 4K/24p), so in that sense I suppose it evens out.
More new features in SUP 5.0 below.
- 60 fps ARRIRAW over 3G Dual Link
- 60 fps HD-SDI 4:4:4 over 3G Dual Link
- 60 fps ProRes 4444 when using SxS PRO 64 GB cards
- Horizontal Image Mirroring (3D)
- ARRI Look Files for playback of QuickTime/ProRes Log C files
- Reel & clip number on MON OUT
- Secure camera display dimming
- Active look indication
- Dual record error handling
- Open Camera Access (OCA) initiative
- Support for Lens Data Display for Focus Puller (ALEXA Plus only)
Link: ARRI ALEXA Downloads
[via Film & Digital Times]